Last signature home win?

book

Reaction score
Haven't beat OSU or Michigan since the dome days. Does Wisconsin or Iowa count? Win this week over Nebraska could be the first signature home win in many a year.

Haven't beat OSU or Michigan since the dome days. Does Wisconsin or Iowa count? Win this week over Nebraska could be the first signature home win in many a year.
Nebraska 60's? Michigan '77 Ohio State '81 Wisconsin '03 Iowa '11

Also, never beat OSU or Michigan I. The dome

- Possibly when they beat Iowa in 2010. Hawkeyes were ranked 24th in the country and Minnesota was 2-10.
- 2003 Badgers were unranked and the Gophers were ranked 24th.
- The Gophers hadn't had a wining season since 1990 when Wacker beat Syracuse 35-33 in 1996. Syracuse was ranked 23rd going into the game. That was the game that Tyrone Carter scooped up two fumbles and ran them in for touchdowns. The Orangeman had Donovan McNabb and Rob Konrad. They ended-up being Co-Champs of the Big East and ranked 21st and/ 23rd in the final polls. They won 9 of their next 10 games, losing to Miami.
- Wacker's biggest win and the Gopher's biggest Home victory in 30 years (?), was beating then #15 Wisconsin in 1993. The Badgers beat 3 ranked teams that year ,including #13 UCLA in the Rose Bowl, and tied #3 tOSU. They ended-up 10-1-1. Only Wacker's Gophers beat them.

Mason had a number of big wins, unfortunately all of them were on the road. Jeff Horton a guy who went 2-4 at Minnesota had the last big win for them. Jim Wacker, a guy who will go down as one of the worst coaches in Gopher history, had the biggest wins in Minnesota.

Unreal.

Since we didn't have a home stadium from 1982 to 2008, it has been difficult.

I agree with Iceland on just about everything he said - except that the 2010 victory over Iowa should be credited to Jeff Horton.

Since 1997 we have played 30 teams that were mentioned in the polls (including "also receiving votes") at both the time we played them and at the end of the season. We lost 28 of those games. The two we won were Michigan Stae in 2001 and Iowa in 2010.

Since 1997 we have played 30 teams that were mentioned in the polls (including "also receiving votes") at both the time we played them and at the end of the season. We lost 28 of those games. The two we won were Michigan Stae in 2001 and Iowa in 2010.

A disgusting stat of the day.

Purdue 2005? Yeah they sucked by the end of the year (they were something like 2-5 after losing in the Dump in triple-OT), but at the time it sure was a big win.

Purdue 2005? Yeah they sucked by the end of the year (they were something like 2-5 after losing in the Dump in triple-OT), but at the time it sure was a big win.

Just looked it up. Good memory GR, at the time Purdue was #11 and the Gophers had lost 5 in a row to them. You're right, the season ended badly for Purdue, but at the time it was a great win.

The good news is the Gophers have an outside shot at a signature win this Saturday and maybe two more times this year. Though you gotta hope that the Badgers get beat a couple of times before 11/23. ;)

2003 Wisconsin
2010 Iowa (maybe)
<strike>2003 Michigan </strike>:cry:

Iowa is close. . . those rivalry games are a big deal. I'd rather beat Wisconsin this year than tOSU.

But it's a good question, and it's sad it takes this much mental energy to even think of one.

2003 Wisconsin
2010 Iowa (maybe)
<strike>2003 Michigan </strike>:cry:

I'm surprised you even remember that game. According to Souhan, we are the only fan base in the country that doesn't remember bad and embarrassing losses.

Normally I'd agree but not this year. An tOSU win would big a much bigger deal this year for this program.

No "bleep", that would mean that the Gophers would win out and beat the Buckeyes for the B1G Title!

(It would also mean they beat the Badgers in November, so it would certainly be a "WIN/DAMN Big WIN" for them.

I'm surprised you even remember that game. According to Souhan, we are the only fan base in the country that doesn't remember bad and embarrassing losses.

I will never forget our embarrassing losses, the disappointment is seared into my mind.

We beat #11 Purdue at home in 2005. Wisconsin in 1993 was Jim Wacker's biggest home win. I think the 1994 game was just as big a deal but it was in Madison. We beat Iowa in 1990 at home in what was a Rose Bowl season for them. We always seem to come up short against teams at home. In 1985 we had both Oklahoma and Ohio St on the ropes. In 1999 we had both Ohio St and Wisconsin right where we wanted them before poof. I won't even mention the half dozen games over the next decade where we couldn't maintain a lead late in home game. I'm of the opinion that a win this Saturday would constitute the biggest home win since Michigan in 1977.

No "bleep", that would mean that the Gophers would win out and beat the Buckeyes for the B1G Title!

(It would also mean they beat the Badgers in November, so it would certainly be a "WIN/DAMN Big WIN" for them.

I was obviously talking about a hypothetical world where I would rather beat Wisconsin than the best team in the conference.

I also don't get to make that choice if we are sticking to only the literal.

The Purdue game was the one I thought of in '05 as well. At that time, man that felt like a huge win. Then we beat Michigan too that year, even though they were down, but then it all came crashing down with one dropped punt.

We really need to start winning more home games, this program isn't gonna be able to really take steps up until people see a game in Minnesota and at least hesitate and think it'll be a tough game for them.

- Possibly when they beat Iowa in 2010. Hawkeyes were ranked 24th in the country and Minnesota was 2-10.
- 2003 Badgers were unranked and the Gophers were ranked 24th.
- The Gophers hadn't had a wining season since 1990 when Wacker beat Syracuse 35-33 in 1996. Syracuse was ranked 23rd going into the game. That was the game that Tyrone Carter scooped up two fumbles and ran them in for touchdowns. The Orangeman had Donovan McNabb and Rob Konrad. They ended-up being Co-Champs of the Big East and ranked 21st and/ 23rd in the final polls. They won 9 of their next 10 games, losing to Miami.
- Wacker's biggest win and the Gopher's biggest Home victory in 30 years (?), was beating then #15 Wisconsin in 1993. The Badgers beat 4 ranked teams that year including #3 tOSU and #13 UCLA in the Rose Bowl. They ended-up 10-1-1. Only Wacker's Gophers beat them.

Mason had a number of big wins, unfortunately all of them were on the road. Jeff Horton a guy who went 2-4 at Minnesota had the last big win for them. Jim Wacker, a guy who will go down as one of the worst coaches in Gopher history, had the biggest wins in Minnesota.

Unreal.

At the risk of getting really picky, wanted to point out that the 1993 Wisconsin team did not beat tOSU that year, they tied. Since both tOSU and Wisky's conference (6-1-1) and overall records (10-1-1) were identical, Badgers got the nod due to a longer Rose Bowl drought.

Added note - footage of the 1993 Gopher win over the Badgers was used in the TV series Coach.

Why do I remember all this stuff? Today marks the 20th anniversary of the this Gopher win, today is also my 20th wedding anniversary. (The Gopher win was announced to all at the reception during one of the toasts.)

At the risk of getting really picky, wanted to point out that the 1993 Wisconsin team did not beat tOSU that year, they tied. Since both tOSU and Wisky's conference (6-1-1) and overall records (10-1-1) were identical, Badgers got the nod due to a longer Rose Bowl drought.

Added note - footage of the 1993 Gopher win over the Badgers was used in the TV series Coach.

Why do I remember all this stuff? Today marks the 20th anniversary of the this Gopher win, today is also my 20th wedding anniversary. (The Gopher win was announced to all at the reception during one of the toasts.)

Congratulations! :drink:

I was at the Iowa 1992 game... I consider it big because we were 1-9 coming into the game & kept Iowa from reaching a Bowl Game... :clap:

I guess it all depends on what a "signature win" really means. Nebraska is ranked 24/25 in the two polls and that doesn't exactly scream "signature win" to me. It certainly would be a great win for the program in its current state, but it's not likely a win that would cause much of a ripple nationally.

Go Gophers stat of the day just absolutely blows my mind. I thought I knew every depressing stat about Golden Gopher football during my time as a fan, but I didn't know that one! It's stats like 23 for 27 against teams that were ranked basically in the top ~35 or so for the season make me wonder what goes at Minnesota beyond just the AD and head coach. Outside of hiring Lou Holtz, no statement has ever been made that the University was embarrassed by the state of its football program and had any real intentions of changing things. I know some will point to building TCF Bank Stadium, but I would counter with building a 50K capacity stadium when you play in the B1G is an example of the lack of interest/dedication to change. Instead of putting resources in to fixing the product to then increase demand, leadership simply limited supply in the hopes that it would increase demand for the same product. It's also telling that we are reduced to calling rivalry games and/or games the Gophers were favored in "signature wins". Hopefully the Gophers can win this week and people can argue over whether or not it was a signature win...it certainly beats the other alternatives.

I guess it all depends on what a "signature win" really means. Nebraska is ranked 24/25 in the two polls and that doesn't exactly scream "signature win" to me. It certainly would be a great win for the program in its current state, but it's not likely a win that would cause much of a ripple nationally.

We're talking about the Gophers. Beating Nebraska would be a signature win as we haven't even been competitive against them in nearly 40 years. If you think beating them wouldn't be huge for the program you need to re-evaluate where you think Gopher football is right now...

Beating Nebraska for the first time since 1960, and we haven't come close to beating them since 1968 despite a good number of games, would mean a lot. Granted this particular Nebraska team isn't BCS Bowl bound, but they are ranked and are a legacy program. Casual or lapsed fans would take notice.

Beating Nebraska for the first time since 1960, and we haven't come close to beating them since 1968 despite a good number of games, would mean a lot. Granted this particular Nebraska team isn't BCS Bowl bound, but they are ranked and are a legacy program. Casual or lapsed fans would take notice.

Agreed. This would be much more of an eyebrow raiser than Northwestern. Let's get it done.

Instead of putting resources in to fixing the product to then increase demand, leadership simply limited supply in the hopes that it would increase demand for the same product.

Yeah, the better idea was to build an 80,000 seat stadium that would've been 60% full for every game except when we host Nebraska, in which it would then be filled, but with 60% Nebraska fans. That would've shown 'em how serious we are about football.

SIGNATURE WIN! MINNESOTA 34, NEBRASKA 23.

Top Bottom