Lamonte Edwards, position HB, LB, FB?

Ole

Reaction score
With Huff's recent commit, and Kirkwood in the fold as a power guy, where does everyone see Edwards fitting in. Most love him at LB, but he was recruited by Hammock and has looked better at RB this year than on D.
I'm thinking he's being targeted as a FB with speed. A guy that can run, block, and catch with the speed to cause mismatches on LB's. Watching some of his highlight tapes, he can throw a really nice block, and obviously doesn't shy away from contact. I know most would say that FB would be a waste of talent for him, but it could add an element to our offense that would be tough to defend.
Thoughts?

LB. Put your best athletes on defense. With Huff and Kirkwood, we already have two other guys that can be the RB of this class.

I'd like the best RB to win the job, and let the others find a role that will help them and the Gophers succeed.

It'll be tough to beat out Brylee Callender for the RB position.

Under no circumstances do you even consider thinking about contemplating the possibility of Edwards at FB. To call it a waste would be a huge understatement.

I've said my thoughts on him before, but I'll repeat them here. If he's your best RB when training camp opens next fall, he needs to play RB. However, considering who we have in his class and coming up behind him, if he's not ready to immediately start and be the bellcow, he needs to play LB.

We are just fine at RB.

The laughs just keep coming today. Bravo!

Under no circumstances do you even consider thinking about contemplating the possibility of Edwards at FB. To call it a waste would be a huge understatement.

I've said my thoughts on him before, but I'll repeat them here. If he's your best RB when training camp opens next fall, he needs to play RB. However, considering who we have in his class and coming up behind him, if he's not ready to immediately start and be the bellcow, he needs to play LB.

The laughs just keep coming today. Bravo!

Just curious if you've watched him play at all this year and what you've seen from him on the defensive side of the ball. Specifically if he's got a nose for the ball and if he's an accomplished tackler. I only brought up the FB idea since I'm not sure where he will fit in right away, maybe they RS him, that would make sense if he needs time to learn the schemes and techniques.

Just curious if you've watched him play at all this year and what you've seen from him on the defensive side of the ball. Specifically if he's got a nose for the ball and if he's an accomplished tackler. I only brought up the FB idea since I'm not sure where he will fit in right away, maybe they RS him, that would make sense if he needs time to learn the schemes and techniques.

Nope, I've never seen him play a down in my life. My thoughts on him are based strictly off where the Gophers' needs are and where he plays in HS. If the coaches feel he is not going to be worthwhile at LB (like a lot of posters here seem to), then I guess he should stay at RB. But, in my opinion, FB is silly. If he can't contribute at RB immediately, he needs to redshirt regardless of future plans for him.

Was I the only one that watched his game on FSN vs CDH? He didn't stand out at all while playing linebacker. The only time I ever saw him on the defensive side of the ball was about 5 feet behind the running back while chasing him because he got burned. He was a BEAST playing as running back though. Sorry, but he'll end up as a RB for the gophers.

I have seen him play several times live...from my experiences, he seems to be a difference-maker at running back. On the defensive side of the ball, he seems to blend in with the crowd...nothing noticeable, nothing that stands out.

That said, my guess is he'll end up on the defensive side of the ball. Nothing more than a hunch, but we'll see.

Nope, I've never seen him play a down in my life. My thoughts on him are based strictly off where the Gophers' needs are and where he plays in HS. If the coaches feel he is not going to be worthwhile at LB (like a lot of posters here seem to), then I guess he should stay at RB. But, in my opinion, FB is silly. If he can't contribute at RB immediately, he needs to redshirt regardless of future plans for him.

We plays FB quite a bit in HS when they run the flexbone.

I have seen him play several times live...from my experiences, he seems to be a difference-maker at running back. On the defensive side of the ball, he seems to blend in with the crowd...nothing noticeable, nothing that stands out.

That said, my guess is he'll end up on the defensive side of the ball. Nothing more than a hunch, but we'll see.

Exactly. When he has the ball in his hands, he is electric if his offensive line gives him a chance. Against Cretin, there offense was very over-matched against Cretin's D but when he had holes he made Cretin pay. His 70 yard touch down run showed off his speed and cutting ability. I hate to use this comparison, but he looks exactly like Adrian Peterson when he is running. Same height, weight, and running style. Not trying to say he will end up as good as AD but man I would love to see him running the ball for the gophers.

Exactly. When he has the ball in his hands, he is electric if his offensive line gives him a chance. Against Cretin, there offense was very over-matched against Cretin's D but when he had holes he made Cretin pay. His 70 yard touch down run showed off his speed and cutting ability. I hate to use this comparison, but he looks exactly like Adrian Peterson when he is running. Same height, weight, and running style. Not trying to say he will end up as good as AD but man I would love to see him running the ball for the gophers.

So I take he has improved immensely as senior? He doesn't look at all like a college running back in his junior highlight video.

He doesn't look that explosive, but I realize he's a big (tall) kid.

I doubt he'd play FB, but what about TE?

Wonder if he'll redshirt.

I am by no means an expert on this kid, but I have seen him play probably 5-6 times. I am pretty good friends with the head football coach at Woodbury. In my opinion, he is not a college level running back. He is big, fast, and athletic. However, he doesn't have natural running ability or college level "shiftiness". I think it is pretty much a gurantee that Edwards will end up on the defensive side of the ball. He hasn't particularily stood out, but his ability to run and his size are extremely impressive. He is a project at LB, but I don't think he would make a very good RB.

The way I would look at Edwards is as a huge upside player (could be as athletic as any LB in the big 10), but he has a lot of room to grow as a player before he will become a contributor. That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see the kid get reps on passing downs at DE (would only need to gain 20 lbs). A lot of kids who are extremely good athletes are effective in those roles earlier in their careers.

Woodbury had another RB about 10 years ago who went to Northwestern and then spent a brief time in the NFL...while he was a very good high school RB, in college they packed some muscle on his frame and made him a safety. From some coaches at Woodbury, Edwards is a bit bigger and faster, but not as shifty as the last guy. I would expect he will compete for RB, but if he's not top 2, he'll be on D.

Woodbury had another RB about 10 years ago who went to Northwestern and then spent a brief time in the NFL...while he was a very good high school RB, in college they packed some muscle on his frame and made him a safety. From some coaches at Woodbury, Edwards is a bit bigger and faster, but not as shifty as the last guy. I would expect he will compete for RB, but if he's not top 2, he'll be on D.

That was Louis Ayeni (spelling?). He was not moved until later in his career after he already had two major surgies. He started at NW as a kickreturner and......He got hurt in almost every single season at NW. He played RB and WR until his senior (5th), and was then moved to DB.

They aren't really similar type of players. Ayeni was a speedster and like you said, shifty enough to be a real good kr and play some WR and RB. Edwards is a much bigger kid. He already is larger than Ayeni was when he graduated. Edwards has the frame to carry 240 lbs rather easily, Ayeni probably graduated college at 205.

Top Bottom