Lame Ken Barlow weather promo

Stan

Reaction score
What was with that lame Ken Barlow in-game weather promo?

Don't know why he was out there. I also find it pathetic that we advertised out the red zone this year... i forget but its the "(Blank Blank) red zone" now... just stupid.

Don't know why he was out there. I also find it pathetic that we advertised out the red zone this year... i forget but its the "(Blank Blank) red zone" now... just stupid.

Yep that was bad too. We jokingly said each yard will eventually have a corporate sponsor at Minnesota. Sheesh.

If he's there again next week I'll probably boo him

I could care less about the weather promo. It was during halftime I believe and not really a big deal.

Announcing the red zone sponsorship though every time we got inside the twenty, that's just terrible. Even some students were making comments about how awfully timed the advertisements were during the game. Every time the crowd started to get really pumped, instead of letting the band play, they'd jump in with one of the ads just killing the atmosphere.

Every time the crowd started to get really pumped, instead of letting the band play, they'd jump in with one of the ads just killing the atmosphere.

Gee, isn't that the same complaint about basketball, too?

I could care less about the weather promo. It was during halftime I believe and not really a big deal.

Announcing the red zone sponsorship though every time we got inside the twenty, that's just terrible. Even some students were making comments about how awfully timed the advertisements were during the game. Every time the crowd started to get really pumped, instead of letting the band play, they'd jump in with one of the ads just killing the atmosphere.

Students who got free or heavily discounted tickets were complaining about ads to bring in money to help subsidize their presence.

Yep, those are our fans!

I thought the "kick some butt" comment was low brow and unprofessional. My guess is some people will avoid sponsors who invade game space.

Yeah the Case IH red zone makes me wish that the Cenex man was back. Come on Gopher fans lets get energized.

So the U has the second smallest stadium in the Big Ten. What the U makes in one year is nearly identical to what Michigan or Ohio State make in one home game. And the idiot Gopher fans want to complain about too many ads. U can't make it up.

Sorry Jer, have to cancel that recruiting trip, fans have a problem with the red zone being sponsored.

Have some stupid ads or pay higher priced tickets? It's one or the other.

If the budget is indeed in dire straits and recruiting trips have to get canceled due to a lack of ads, we need to all do our part and get on the horn with Teague and Co. and tell them to ramp up the ads. It's ridiculous that the only in-game ad we have is the Case Red Zone when there are several downs, plays, and drives where we can attach more ads for more $$$. Maybe something like this:

"And that's another Golden Gopher brought to you by Washburn-McReavy Funeral Homes...First Down!"

Or maybe have the band play jingles that people know like the McDonald's "Badda Ba Ba Ba I'm Lovin It!" after a big sack or 3rd down stop?

Speaking of sacks let's say Hageman gets another monstersack. The announcer could say something simple like "Hageman with another White Castle Sack of Ten".

Or even "Wilhite with a Burger King Whopper of a Sack". You get the idea.

That's just off the top of the head. Any other ideas we can throw around that we could possibly present to the higher ups? If this program hopes to ever reach the level that Michigan and OSU are at, they need to up the ad ante.

So the U has the second smallest stadium in the Big Ten. What the U makes in one year is nearly identical to what Michigan or Ohio State make in one home game. And the idiot Gopher fans want to complain about too many ads. U can't make it up.

Sorry Jer, have to cancel that recruiting trip, fans have a problem with the red zone being sponsored.

wow i didn't realize we are that close to kill not being able to recruit. i guess the maturi era was worse than i thought. maturi sure did some damage that Jery is this close to having to cancel recruiting trips. my gosh joel was a mess.

somehow though our hoops program makes good cash compared to many big ten teams yet we have even more stupid promos during each timeout than we do during football. did maturi f it up that bad for tubby, is he close to not being able to recruit nationally as well?

I thought the "kick some butt" comment was low brow and unprofessional. My guess is some people will avoid sponsors who invade game space.

Yeah, that's an ad lib that Mr.Barlow probably wants back.

I liked the weather report. Wisconsin has a local meteorologist do one before every game. I could have done without the "kick butt" comment. Should have given the forecast like he would on TV. Absolutely agree with the sponsored red zone. It is just too forced and too tacky. Also if we want a party atmosphere for students we need to have either music or the band playing during TV timeouts. If you want ads and promotions, do some with music like the Blue Cross ads or last years Snickers ad. Even like the Subway Tshirt toss would be fine with me. Make the ads fun. It was just kind of a buzzkill during TV timeouts. Student section was just standing there.

I was in the car most of the day Saturday. Right before kickoff KFAN dedicated a 15-20 second segment to telling everyone what color uniforms the Gophers were wearing. It was "sponsored by G&K Services" and you could tell Mike Grimm had to read a cheesy cue card.

Yep that was bad too. We jokingly said each yard will eventually have a corporate sponsor at Minnesota. Sheesh.

+1,000. I said the exact same thing with the group of people I sat with! That was ridiculous. And I believe it was CASE/IH that sponsored the "Red Zone", make sense since there tractors are red. Just a really stupid marketing tactic I thought. But, oh well, gotta do what you gotta do.

Not. I believe he said 40 mph winds. According to Belle on 11, winds never got past 28 officially. Wind did pick up, but not like he said

I told Mrs. Billd it will be great on November 24th for Ken to report that the first half accumulation of 4 inches of fluffy snow should be doubled by the end of the third quarter...with blizzard conditions and significant icing whenever and wherever MSU has the ball all during the fourth quarter...wth a Gophers victory thrown in of course too.

Just thinking out loud...

I see no harm in the gimmick.

Go Gophers! In Kill I Trust!

I think the U should tell him to zip it when it comes to football talk. If you want to give a weather report. That's fine and a nice change of pace. It just got awkward when he said to "kick some wildcat butt" as we are winning 30-7. If it's in the middle of a dogfight it comes off differently i think.

I don't see any harm in the gimmick either. I thought people wanted to have fun on gamedays? It made me laugh.

Top Bottom