Kyle Fodness: "kicking for the Gophers was a life-long dream"

First I've heard of him. Is he a preferred walk-on with the 2012 class?

Ha! you guys are correct. I think I used to know his aunt so I just thought I throw his name out there. i was busted.

Can he beat out Wettstein? I think he will be redshirted considering Wettstein kicked 48, 43 and 51 yard field goals to close out the season. Good luck to him.

Can he beat out Wettstein? I think he will be redshirted considering Wettstein kicked 48, 43 and 51 yard field goals to close out the season. Good luck to him.

...and we have two other FG kickers (Hawthorne, Schwerman) on the team. Fodness will redshirt.

Other than the fact that he might (will probably) redshirt, whats the skinny on this kid? Does he have a big leg? Since he played in the Prep Bowl, has anyone seen him kick?

According to an article in SB Nation, Fodness has already been told that he will be redshirting.

...and we have two other FG kickers (Hawthorne, Schwerman) on the team. Fodness will redshirt.

Other than the fact that he might (will probably) redshirt, whats the skinny on this kid? Does he have a big leg? Since he played in the Prep Bowl, has anyone seen him kick?

According to an article in SB Nation, Fodness has already been told that he will be redshirting.

You're only allowed to play 5 years if you have a scholarship, right? So he can't really "redshirt" without a scholarship. Are we even sure that he's receiving a scholarship?

You're only allowed to play 5 years if you have a scholarship, right? So he can't really "redshirt" without a scholarship. Are we even sure that he's receiving a scholarship?

Normally he would be a preferred walk-on with the opportunity to earn a scholarship down the road. I quite sure this is the case because: (1.) We don't have any scholarships available (2.) There is no reference to any scholarship being given and (3.) Most kickers are walk-ons. As a walk on he still has five years which includes one red shirt year. Unless he proves to be the best kicker he will red shirt this fall.

Normally he would be a preferred walk-on with the opportunity to earn a scholarship down the road. I quite sure this is the case because: (1.) We don't have any scholarships available (2.) There is no reference to any scholarship being given and (3.) Most kickers are walk-ons. As a walk on he still has five years which includes one red shirt year. Unless he proves to be the best kicker he will red shirt this fall.

Okay. So I think the plan would be:
2012 - freshman year - sit on the bench
2013 - redshirt w/ scholarship
2014 - sophomore on scholarship - starting kicker
2015 - junior on scholarship - starting kicker
2016 - senior on scholarship - starting kicker

Okay. So I think the plan would be:
2012 - freshman year - sit on the bench
2013 - redshirt w/ scholarship
2014 - sophomore on scholarship - starting kicker
2015 - junior on scholarship - starting kicker
2016 - senior on scholarship - starting kicker

He must be hell of a kicker if Kill is going to give a walk on a scholarship in 2013 to sit on the bench!

No. I'm not sure where you got that idea, but every player on the roster, regardless of scholarship status, gets 5 years to play 4.

Oh, okay. For some reason I thought that only scholarship athletes had 5 years to play 4. My mistake.

Oh, okay. For some reason I thought that only scholarship athletes had 5 years to play 4. My mistake.

Yeah, sometimes it gets confusing with SR Day things. A lot of the times the players who aren't on scholarship are celebrated on SR Day (even though they are juniors) because many of those players don't return for their 5th season (because they've graduated).

Hawthorne is our only scholarship kicker. Orseske is our only scholarship punter. There will not be more than one on the roster at any time.

Oh, and there is no "plan," per se. College coaches invite most kickers to walk on, very few get scholarships until their Junior or Senior years.

Whoever is the best kicker kicks. The only plan is to make sure you have at least two kickers around just in case.

Both of the scholly special teamers are not even best at their position. Lmao

Top Bottom