KSTP: U of M Compliance Staff Member to Travel with Teams on Road Trips

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://kstp.com/news/university-of-minnesota-coyle-athletics-ncaa-stollings/4283289/?cat=1

The University of Minnesota is taking steps to monitor its athletic program.

This season the University will have a compliance staff member travel on road trips to make sure all NCAA regulations are being followed. It's a new initiative by U of M Athletic Director Mark Coyle since taking over the department earlier this year. A staff member will travel with the football team, along with the men's and women's basketball teams.

"The more we can spread the word about what we do from an internal standpoint administratively we love those folks to be part of our program," Women's Basketball Head Coach Marlene Stollings said

so we're paying someone to watch over the coaches shoulders to make sure they fill up their gas tank and don't tip more than 15%.

so we're paying someone to watch over the coaches shoulders to make sure they fill up their gas tank and don't tip more than 15%.

Compliance people are salaried employees.

Even if you somehow rationalize they'd get the same money staying at home, which I doubt...there is still an extra hotel room, plane ticket, and per diem. Plus, you are telling the coach we don't trust your staff of coaches, managers, support personnel to handle this. (Despite the politically correct Marlene quote.) We can't train you to do this responsibly, so we are going to pay for a baby sitter because we have this extra TV money and this is how I wanna spend it. Football, the whole group approaches a 100 people...okay. But basketball it's already almost 50/50 ratio between playing and non playing travel members. And what? The golf team, the hockey teams, softball teams can't break rules or nobody cares if they do? So, we'll ignore them?

Keep in mind that an additional hire will be required to monitor the Compliance Officer.

Even if you somehow rationalize they'd get the same money staying at home, which I doubt...there is still an extra hotel room, plane ticket, and per diem. Plus, you are telling the coach we don't trust your staff of coaches, managers, support personnel to handle this. (Despite the politically correct Marlene quote.) We can't train you to do this responsibly, so we are going to pay for a baby sitter because we have this extra TV money and this is how I wanna spend it. Football, the whole group approaches a 100 people...okay. But basketball it's already almost 50/50 ratio between playing and non playing travel members. And what? The golf team, the hockey teams, softball teams can't break rules or nobody cares if they do? So, we'll ignore them?

While I disagree with the "they are already on the payroll" sentiment you're almost equally to the other side on this one.

Why are people upset about this? It's just another step towards changing the culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are people upset about this? It's just another step towards changing the culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because bitching is what a couple of them do best.

Top Bottom