KSTP: Q&A: Gophers coach Richard Pitino on summer workouts, new players, and more

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per KSTP:

Gophers men's hoops coach Richard Pitino talks with KSTP Sports' Darren 'Doogie' Wolfson about how summer workouts are going, the uncertainty surrounding the season, whether he's optimistic newcomers Liam Robbins and Both Gach will be immediately eligible, and a lot more.

Go Gophers!!

Didn't Pitino say that we were supposed to know already if Robbins waiver went through?

Interesting to me that Pitino hints at going after transfers again in Spring '21. He's done that a couple times now in interviews I've seen/read and I think that's smart if he's still employed. He's unlikely to get talent in the '21 high school class and the roster could have a ton of turnover by that time. If he's successful enough to keep his job, he can't fall back down to the bottom 1/3 of the conference again because guys leave and he doesn't have talent coming in. If the transfers do well this year, it will make the program more attractive to guys in a similar situation next Spring.

Gripe: Pitino can't keep claiming he thinks Minnesota would have been in the tournament if they got to 17 wins. They were not even close to the bubble at the time the season was halted.

Restocking with transfers isn't much different from getting one and done's. Except Grad transfers are older and more mature, ready to play. Undergrad transfers is tricky with the eligibility problem and the dreaded NCAA decision matrix looming over your season.

I'd rather see players coming in from High School but the more mature players definitely can have more impact.

2 years left
Yep (y)

He's participated in two seasons (2016-17 and 2018-19), and he can participate in up to four. And he has a six year clock (instead of five, because of medical hardship waiver) to do that. Year five will be 2020-21 and year six will be 2021-22.

Yep (y)

He's participated in two seasons (2016-17 and 2018-19), and he can participate in up to four. And he has a six year clock (instead of five, because of medical hardship waiver) to do that. Year five will be 2020-21 and year six will be 2021-22.
Ahh okay. So the medical redshirt extends the clock to 6 years, and last year was essentially a “regular” redshirt season?

Ahh okay. So the medical redshirt extends the clock to 6 years, and last year was essentially a “regular” redshirt season?
You can look at it a number of ways. The terms are somewhat murky and inconsistently used.

The regular thing is that you have 5 calendar years to participate in 4 seasons. That's all athletes in all sports.

A hardship waiver increases your clock to 6 years. Any athlete can not participate in any season, for any reason they want. Usually though, a true freshman will sit out the first season on purpose, to defer that season to year 5, and that is colloquially known as a "redshirt".

Then the term "medical redshirt", in of itself, just means that an athlete was forced to sit out some other season due to injury, usually when they hadn't used a redshirt as a freshman. Otherwise, in order to get the full four seasons, they'd also need the waiver. So sometimes the term can refer to both of those things.

Restocking with transfers isn't much different from getting one and done's. Except Grad transfers are older and more mature, ready to play. Undergrad transfers is tricky with the eligibility problem and the dreaded NCAA decision matrix looming over your season.

I'd rather see players coming in from High School but the more mature players definitely can have more impact.

I like sit out transfers and redshirts. Very rarely do you ever need spots 10-13 to play. Give them a year to develop. With how many kids transfer, when they come in with the understanding that they will sit and develop, it can hopefully lead to a more peaceful locker room and a positive growth model.

Also with the depth of the 2022 class regionally, I think it'd be ok to stop gap it with transfers for one year to load up with that class.

You can look at it a number of ways. The terms are somewhat murky and inconsistently used.

The regular thing is that you have 5 calendar years to participate in 4 seasons. That's all athletes in all sports.

A hardship waiver increases your clock to 6 years. Any athlete can not participate in any season, for any reason they want. Usually though, a true freshman will sit out the first season on purpose, to defer that season to year 5, and that is colloquially known as a "redshirt".

Then the term "medical redshirt", in of itself, just means that an athlete was forced to sit out some other season due to injury, usually when they hadn't used a redshirt as a freshman. Otherwise, in order to get the full four seasons, they'd also need the waiver. So sometimes the term can refer to both of those things.
Thanks. Appreciate the explanation!!

That was a good interview, even if it was doogie...

Pitino says he fully expects Liam and Both to be eligible to play this year.

Pitino seemed pretty sure we'd hear something last week re Robbins. No news is probably bad news. I remember the same thing with Carr, the decision kept getting pushed back.

Bad news last week and filing an appeal now seems likely.

Gripe: Pitino can't keep claiming he thinks Minnesota would have been in the tournament if they got to 17 wins. They were not even close to the bubble at the time the season was halted.
Agreed 100%. Don't like that.

Pitino seemed pretty sure we'd hear something last week re Robbins. No news is probably bad news. I remember the same thing with Carr, the decision kept getting pushed back.

Bad news last week and filing an appeal now seems likely.

Pretty big assumption you're making.

They’re supposed to be lenient in granting the waivers due to covid. I’m guessing covid concerns were plastered all over the request.

Still, hard to make it look like anything other than free-agencywhen you’re moving farther away from home, with no immediate family in the area, and taking a big step up in level.

They’re supposed to be lenient in granting the waivers due to covid. I’m guessing covid concerns were plastered all over the request.

Still, hard to make it look like anything other than free-agencywhen you’re moving farther away from home, with no immediate family in the area, and taking a big step up in level.
huh?

both Robbins and Goch have family close....
Neither has immediate (as I said) family in the Twin Cities.

But transferring from Utah to Minn with immediate family in Austin (MN) is legit. No one would question it as coming back much closer to home.

Robbins immediate family is in Davenport I believe? Twin Cities is farther from there than Des Moines. If he had gone to Iowa City, much more of a slam dunk, but Garza is back and I doubt he wanted to sit behind him for a year.

Last edited:

Top Bottom