Koi Perich was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the U:

University of Minnesota defensive back Koi Perich was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week after his standout performance in Minnesota’s 21-17 win at UCLA on Saturday.

Perich, who is a true freshman, had two interceptions and two tackles in the Minnesota win. His first interception led to a Minnesota touchdown that put the Gophers up 14-10. His second interception came on the final offensive play of the game for UCLA. It was the second straight week that Perich closed out a game with an interception, as he picked off USC’s Miller Moss the week prior to secure the victory.

The Esko, Minn., native now has four interceptions on the season, which leads the team. The four interceptions are also the most ever by a Gopher freshman, topping the three by Kyle Theret in 2007 and by Crawford Jordan in 1994.

Perich joins Kerry Brown as the only Gopher freshmen since at least 1990 to have multiple interceptions in a game. He is also the first Minnesota freshman – and only second ever – to be named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, joining Tyrone Carter who was honored on Set. 23, 1996.

Go Gophers!!

Per the U:

Perich joins Kerry Brown as the only Gopher freshmen since at least 1990 to have multiple interceptions in a game. He is also the first Minnesota freshman – and only second ever –
Yikes!
to be named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, joining Tyrone Carter who was honored on Set. 23, 1996.

Go Gophers!!

I kind of wished that Perich would have simply knocked down that last pass instead of intercepting it. But he did immediately go to the ground and "down it." He still deserved to be defensive player of the week!

I kind of wished that Perich would have simply knocked down that last pass instead of intercepting it. But he did immediately go to the ground and "down it." He still deserved to be defensive player of the week!
I think it is a hard call to make.

You knock it down ... ball is now no longer in your hands, could hit someone, thing ... WR...

If you secure it, you're in a position to fight for it at the very least if someone else gets involved.

There is no negative to catching it and going straight down.

If you knock it away you are giving a chance to someone making a play, it would be a crazy play, but a play.

He is also the first Minnesota freshman – and only second ever – to be named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, joining Tyrone Carter who was honored on Set. 23, 1996.

Go Gophers!!

I don't understand this sentence. Is he the first - or the second - Minnesota freshman to be named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week? What am I missing?

Why wouldn't you want him to intercept?

That's....not well thought out. What if he knocks it down and there was a second left on the clock? They get another hail mary try.

Absolutely nothing bad is possible with an interception.

The only time it makes sense to knock it down is on 4th down where you'll get the ball in better field position than with an interception unless you run the pick back past the line of scrimmage.

I don't understand this sentence. Is he the first - or the second - Minnesota freshman to be named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week? What am I missing?
I think it means Minnesota has only ever had two defensive players of the week, no matter their class. But, that doesn’t seem possible… so idk.

I think one thing that gets overlooked is Koi kind of has Derek Zoolander hair. While this isn’t precisely spelled out as par of the criteria for Defensive Player of the Week, I think it plays a role.

1728946854348.jpeg

I can't find the info, but I believe Eric Johnson was named twice in 1982, but maybe that was freshman of the week.

Later that winter, he jumped off a bridge into the Mississippi, taking his life. F#@& depression.

For those still trying to figure out the whole freshman part of the release it was a mistake in wording that has been corrected. Should have read like this:

Perich and Kerry Brown are the only Gophers’ freshmen to have multiple interceptions in a game since 1990. Perich is the second freshman ever to earn Defensive Player of the Week. Tyrone Carter got it in September of 1996.

Top Bottom