Koi Perich is Trying to Make Up for Late Start with Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Strack:

Perich came in six months behind other Minnesota Gophers freshmen​

At that point, Perich was still trying to lead the Esko basketball team through a regular season that ended with a loss in the section championship game to Pequot Lakes. Then, while Koi was running for the Esko track team this spring, he suffered a season ending hamstring injury that killed his state meet hopes in that sport too.

Not only did that injury end Perich’s high school track career and any remaining hopes of a high school state title, but it also set him back in his early development as a division one power five safety. When Koi did finally arrive on campus, in June, he was still nursing that bad hamstring.

Now, Koi Perich seems to be back at full strength. But there’s only four weeks remaining until the Minnesota Gophers’ first game of the season, which is at home vs the North Carolina Tar Heels on August 29.

Catch-up will start with special teams​

As of August 4, the freshman phenom’s best chance at playing time on Thursday night under the lights at Huntington Bank Stadium is via special teams, possibly as a punt returner.

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully this hamstring injury doesn't become a long-term thing that continually gets re-aggravated. I know hamstring injuries can give players ongoing struggles, though my sample size is small and skews toward injuries that happen during the season where players are motivated to try to get back to playing as soon as they can, and perhaps don't give it all the time it needs to heal.

EDIT: Hamstrings are also a muscle I think we don't realize how much we use until it's injured or sore from a workout or something. These past few weeks I've worked out my hamstrings more than I usually do, and the day after it feels like the only things that don't require me to use my hamstrings are laying down and sitting!

Hopefully this hamstring injury doesn't become a long-term thing that continually gets re-aggravated. I know hamstring injuries can give players ongoing struggles, though my sample size is small and skews toward injuries that happen during the season where players are motivated to try to get back to playing as soon as they can, and perhaps don't give it all the time it needs to heal.

EDIT: Hamstrings are also a muscle I think we don't realize how much we use until it's injured or sore from a workout or something. These past few weeks I've worked out my hamstrings more than I usually do, and the day after it feels like the only things that don't require me to use my hamstrings are laying down and sitting!
Where is the Debbie Downer photo?

Where is the Debbie Downer photo?
C'mon, he's a Gopher fan. We have a history of things turning out poorly. I was watching the BIG 10 Network today and I think they said that Penn State was very disappointed because they have not won a conference title in 9 years. Well, we are at about 57 years since we tied (3 way) for a conference title. At the start of every season we all have high hopes. Taji34 is just getting a little ahead of schedule on seeing the wheels fall off. I think that I was in 4th grade when the Gophers won that last title. I'm hopeful every year, this year included, but I would not be surprised if Perich's hammy is a challenge this year. Heal up Koi, and Go Gophers!

was listening to the new Gopher Gridiron Radio podcast. (they covered the defense and special teams).

Ryan Burns said that, based on what he's heard, if Perich had enrolled early and joined the team in January, then he would probably be starting the opener. But waiting to enroll until the summer, and coming off the track injury put him way behind just about everyone else on the roster. He's really only had a handful of practices where he was able to go full speed.

But Burns expects Perich to work his way into the rotation and very well could be starting before the season is over. a lot depends on whether some of the returning safeties - Gousby, Green and Coleman - show some improvement from last season.

was listening to the new Gopher Gridiron Radio podcast. (they covered the defense and special teams).

Ryan Burns said that, based on what he's heard, if Perich had enrolled early and joined the team in January, then he would probably be starting the opener. But waiting to enroll until the summer, and coming off the track injury put him way behind just about everyone else on the roster. He's really only had a handful of practices where he was able to go full speed.

But Burns expects Perich to work his way into the rotation and very well could be starting before the season is over. a lot depends on whether some of the returning safeties - Gousby, Green and Coleman - show some improvement from last season.
If the safeties play like they did against North Carolina last year he will be in by the mid second quarter

If Perich is healthy, he will play. He wouldn't be happy sitting, he's too competitive. In the portal era, highly rated recruits must play or the rival offers will almost assuredly sound too enticing to stay a Gopher.

If Perich is healthy, he will play. He wouldn't be happy sitting, he's too competitive. In the portal era, highly rated recruits must play or the rival offers will almost assuredly sound too enticing to stay a Gopher.
He already turned down Ohio State and others. He'll be fine. He got a late start and play when ready. He made an educated decision to not enroll early, I'm sure he gets it.

I hope he does. Someone is going to need to fill Nubin's shoes as both on field talent and leader.

I would edit that -- If Perich is healthy - AND if he is clearly the best player at his position - he will play.

the coaches are not going to throw him out there before he's ready - nor should they.

now, I fully expect that Perich will play this season. how much he plays, and whether he winds up starting, will depend on how Perich looks in practice and how he does when given playing time.

it's a big freakin' jump from Esko to the B1G. give the kid some time to acclimate to playing college FB at the P4 level.

I would edit that -- If Perich is healthy - AND if he is clearly the best player at his position - he will play.

the coaches are not going to throw him out there before he's ready - nor should they.

now, I fully expect that Perich will play this season. how much he plays, and whether he winds up starting, will depend on how Perich looks in practice and how he does when given playing time.

it's a big freakin' jump from Esko to the B1G. give the kid some time to acclimate to playing college FB at the P4 level.
Agree. Koi will have every chance to earn playing time this season, but it won't just be handed to him if he isn't ready for it. I hope he lives up to the hype and is able to make an impact as a true freshman but that is a big ask for guys making the jump from high school.

If it does take time fans need to be patient. But hopefully he blows everyone away and forces his way onto the field quickly.

I hope he does. Someone is going to need to fill Nubin's shoes as both on field talent and leader.
Pretty rare, almost non-existent, for a freshman to come in and be a leader on a Big Ten team. Maybe any college team. Impact player? That's possible certainly but rare enough itself. Impact player and a leader? That is asking an awful lot in my opinion. Almost impossible.

Pair and a Spare podcast said they saw him at the media practice this week. Sounds like he is already turning heads and will likely get a crack at punt returns and could earn safety snaps on certain downs/packages. Burns said he gets the feeling that Fleck and staff think he's too good to hide on the sidelines.

That episode, they said that both #3 jersey players (Koi Perich and Drake Lindsey) are incoming true freshman that show the most playmaking potential. You hope Lindsey isn't taking meaningful snaps this season, but if Brosmer goes down with injury, it sounds like he's the backup and it is not even close.

Top Bottom