Know Your Opponent: Nevada Wolf Pack

NoelarBear

Reaction score

Before every game, I ask a reporter who covers the Gophers upcoming opponent to give us a view from the opponent’s perspective.

I asked Chris Murray from Nevada Sports Net five questions about the Nevada Wolf Pack.

The Wolf Pack travel to Minneapolis to take on the Gophers on September 14th. The Gophers hope to wrap up their non-conference schedule with a victory over Nevada from the Mountain West Conference.

Huge thanks to Chris for giving us his thoughts!

Follow Chris on X

Follow Noel on X.

1. Nevada entered the 2024 season after back-to-back 2-10 seasons under Ken Wilson. Wilson was fired after last season; now enters Jeff Choate. Choate is the third head coach for the Wolf Pack in four years. What can you tell us about the new head coach? How has the atmosphere changed in Reno since Jeff took over?

Jeff Choate has a really interesting backstory. He was living on his own at 16, nearly died at 20, was a successful high school coach for nearly a decade before taking a $6,000-per-year GA job at age 32, became an FCS head coach in his late 40s at Montana State, turned the program around before quitting to take an assistant job at Texas and then landed at Nevada. Here’s the full recap of that life story:

But he’s completely changed Nevada’s program in short order. The Wolf Pack is far more competitive this season than the last two as Choate has instilled a belief in his squad and hired a strong staff. Nevada has been an underdog in all three of its games, some in lopsided fashion, but has taken all three games to the final minute.

2. The Wolf Pack enter the game against Minnesota with an overall record of 1-2. What were the expectations for Nevada entering the 2024 season? In your opinion, how would you grade this team three games in so far?

The outside expectations were meager with Nevada picked in the preseason poll to finish last in the Mountain West with the Vegas win total at 2.5. But the internal expectations were much higher with Nevada putting that number 2.5 on its weights for offseason training. Choate said Nevada was not in rebuild mode and was using 2024 as a “launch.” Despite the 1-2 record, he’s been proven correct. Nevada was a 27.5-point underdog to SMU in its opener but led by 11 points in the fourth quarter before losing on a last-minute touchdown pass. Nevada then won at back-to-back Sun Belt champions, Troy, and outplayed Georgia Southern last week, outgaining the Eagles by 214 yards and winning almost every statistical category but losing by three despite some ill-timed penalties. The energy around and belief among the team is much higher than at the start of the season after Choate inherited a team that was 2-10 in each of the last two years. I’d give Nevada a “B” through three games.

3. The Wolf Pack are averaging 196 yards per game on the ground, good for 41st in the country. The rushing attack is almost averaging more yards per game than the passing game (200 yards). Savion Red leads Nevada with 254 yards on the ground. Can you give us a scouting report on him? What makes him so dangerous as a runner?

Red is an uber-confident transfer from Texas. He was a high school quarterback who began his college career at wideout before moving to running back last season and playing some Wildcat quarterback in games. At Nevada, he’s taken over the lead back role along with Boston College transfer Patrick Garwo III, who was All-ACC second team after rushing for 1,000 yards in 2021. Both are solid back. Red fumbled inside the Nevada 5-yard line late in the Georgia Southern loss last week, so he’ll want to make amends for that. He also fumbled in the red zone the week prior against Troy, which Nevada recovered. He has to clean up the fumbling, but Red is an explosive back for sure.

4. What can Gophers fans expect from the Nevada defense when they are on the field? In your opinion, what are their strengths and weaknesses?

On paper, Nevada’s defensive strength is its middle linebackers, Drue Watts and Tongiaki Mateialona, and both have played well. But the biggest strength of the team has been the secondary, which has five new starters. Nevada’s defensive tackles were a big question mark to start the season but have played above average. That group will be tested by Minnesota. Nevada will likely be without Minneapolis native Kaden Johnson, a transfer from Wisconsin who grew up 10 miles from Minnesota’s stadium. He disclosed his elbow last week against Georgia Southern.

5. Could you give Minnesota fans a couple of impact players that they should watch out for on Nevada?

* QB Brendon Lewis (good with his legs)

* S Kitan Crawford (Texas transfer with NFL future)

* WR Jaden Smith (6-6 with a big wingspan)

* WR Cortez Braham Jr. (West Virginia transfer)

* DE Henry Ikahihifo (began his career at Nevada as a tight end, transferred three times, back at Nevada for final season as a defensive end)

6. Minnesota wraps up their non-conference schedule when the Wolf Pack come to Minneapolis on September 14th. Currently, the Gophers are two touchdown favorites against Nevada. What does Nevada need to do to upset the Gophers this Saturday? What is your prediction for the game?

Time of possession will be big. Nevada knows it’s generally going to be undermanned and is trying to manage the game to make it close in the fourth quarter. It’s been able to do that in all three games and has held the ball for nearly 30 more minutes than its opponents through three games. To do that, Nevada will need to be able to run the ball against Minnesota and convert third downs, which it has done at an elite rate. If it does that, it could keep this game interesting. But Minnesota is a much more veteran operation, so I’ll say the Gophers win 27-17. Nevada covers the 16-point line.

Before every game, I ask a reporter who covers the Gophers upcoming opponent to give us a view from the opponent’s perspective.

I asked Chris Murray from Nevada Sports Net five questions about the Nevada Wolf Pack.

The Wolf Pack travel to Minneapolis to take on the Gophers on September 14th. The Gophers hope to wrap up their non-conference schedule with a victory over Nevada from the Mountain West Conference.

Huge thanks to Chris for giving us his thoughts!

Follow Chris on X

Follow Noel on X.

1. Nevada entered the 2024 season after back-to-back 2-10 seasons under Ken Wilson. Wilson was fired after last season; now enters Jeff Choate. Choate is the third head coach for the Wolf Pack in four years. What can you tell us about the new head coach? How has the atmosphere changed in Reno since Jeff took over?

Jeff Choate has a really interesting backstory. He was living on his own at 16, nearly died at 20, was a successful high school coach for nearly a decade before taking a $6,000-per-year GA job at age 32, became an FCS head coach in his late 40s at Montana State, turned the program around before quitting to take an assistant job at Texas and then landed at Nevada. Here’s the full recap of that life story:

But he’s completely changed Nevada’s program in short order. The Wolf Pack is far more competitive this season than the last two as Choate has instilled a belief in his squad and hired a strong staff. Nevada has been an underdog in all three of its games, some in lopsided fashion, but has taken all three games to the final minute.

2. The Wolf Pack enter the game against Minnesota with an overall record of 1-2. What were the expectations for Nevada entering the 2024 season? In your opinion, how would you grade this team three games in so far?

The outside expectations were meager with Nevada picked in the preseason poll to finish last in the Mountain West with the Vegas win total at 2.5. But the internal expectations were much higher with Nevada putting that number 2.5 on its weights for offseason training. Choate said Nevada was not in rebuild mode and was using 2024 as a “launch.” Despite the 1-2 record, he’s been proven correct. Nevada was a 27.5-point underdog to SMU in its opener but led by 11 points in the fourth quarter before losing on a last-minute touchdown pass. Nevada then won at back-to-back Sun Belt champions, Troy, and outplayed Georgia Southern last week, outgaining the Eagles by 214 yards and winning almost every statistical category but losing by three despite some ill-timed penalties. The energy around and belief among the team is much higher than at the start of the season after Choate inherited a team that was 2-10 in each of the last two years. I’d give Nevada a “B” through three games.

3. The Wolf Pack are averaging 196 yards per game on the ground, good for 41st in the country. The rushing attack is almost averaging more yards per game than the passing game (200 yards). Savion Red leads Nevada with 254 yards on the ground. Can you give us a scouting report on him? What makes him so dangerous as a runner?

Red is an uber-confident transfer from Texas. He was a high school quarterback who began his college career at wideout before moving to running back last season and playing some Wildcat quarterback in games. At Nevada, he’s taken over the lead back role along with Boston College transfer Patrick Garwo III, who was All-ACC second team after rushing for 1,000 yards in 2021. Both are solid back. Red fumbled inside the Nevada 5-yard line late in the Georgia Southern loss last week, so he’ll want to make amends for that. He also fumbled in the red zone the week prior against Troy, which Nevada recovered. He has to clean up the fumbling, but Red is an explosive back for sure.

4. What can Gophers fans expect from the Nevada defense when they are on the field? In your opinion, what are their strengths and weaknesses?

On paper, Nevada’s defensive strength is its middle linebackers, Drue Watts and Tongiaki Mateialona, and both have played well. But the biggest strength of the team has been the secondary, which has five new starters. Nevada’s defensive tackles were a big question mark to start the season but have played above average. That group will be tested by Minnesota. Nevada will likely be without Minneapolis native Kaden Johnson, a transfer from Wisconsin who grew up 10 miles from Minnesota’s stadium. He disclosed his elbow last week against Georgia Southern.

5. Could you give Minnesota fans a couple of impact players that they should watch out for on Nevada?

* QB Brendon Lewis (good with his legs)

* S Kitan Crawford (Texas transfer with NFL future)

* WR Jaden Smith (6-6 with a big wingspan)

* WR Cortez Braham Jr. (West Virginia transfer)

* DE Henry Ikahihifo (began his career at Nevada as a tight end, transferred three times, back at Nevada for final season as a defensive end)

6. Minnesota wraps up their non-conference schedule when the Wolf Pack come to Minneapolis on September 14th. Currently, the Gophers are two touchdown favorites against Nevada. What does Nevada need to do to upset the Gophers this Saturday? What is your prediction for the game?

Time of possession will be big. Nevada knows it’s generally going to be undermanned and is trying to manage the game to make it close in the fourth quarter. It’s been able to do that in all three games and has held the ball for nearly 30 more minutes than its opponents through three games. To do that, Nevada will need to be able to run the ball against Minnesota and convert third downs, which it has done at an elite rate. If it does that, it could keep this game interesting. But Minnesota is a much more veteran operation, so I’ll say the Gophers win 27-17. Nevada covers the 16-point line.

Wow that's a crazy backstory on Jeff Choate. I hope he has a long and thriving coaching career, after Saturday.

Go Gophers!!

I live in Austin, TX and also a Longhorn fan. I've met Jeff Choate and spoke with him for about 15 minutes. He is a very bright man, and congrats to him on the head coaching role at Nevada. He was a great co-DC / Linebackers coach here in Texas. He learned a ton about running the office from Sarkisian as he came in at the beginning of the major coaching changes that Sark made, and learned well how to "rebuild" a program. He did a great job recruiting and developing elite linebackers to Texas.

Choate is super dedicated to the run game. He looks to wear out defenses and be super disciplined. This is why Nevada is grabbing 3 star running backs and better.

This is gonna be an on the turf, smash mouth style football and I could easily see between him and hem running with 40-50 carries. Our run defense and depth will be challenged for sure.

I'll still expect Brendon Lewis to put up 70-90 yards rushing also. He loves to run the ball and can be very fast.

I don't think they'll pressure Max Brosmer very much though. I think last week we saw his accuracy improve considerably (80% completion rate for 271 yards) as he gets used to the pace of B1G football.

Minnesota should win this one, but Nevada is on a great trajectory, and I think Coach Choate has already gotten some very good recruits and is defining their game in a way that could make them a very serious contender in the Mountain West very quickly.

Brendon Lewis was awful to bad when we played him @ Colorado in 2021 albeit he was a redshirt freshman on a bad team. Looks like his career had continued as mostly a runner. They have a few P4 RB transfers but the MN run defense has been decent to good thus far. If MN can move the ball they should cover the spread. We’ll find out soon enough.

I live in Austin, TX and also a Longhorn fan. I've met Jeff Choate and spoke with him for about 15 minutes. He is a very bright man, and congrats to him on the head coaching role at Nevada. He was a great co-DC / Linebackers coach here in Texas. He learned a ton about running the office from Sarkisian as he came in at the beginning of the major coaching changes that Sark made, and learned well how to "rebuild" a program. He did a great job recruiting and developing elite linebackers to Texas.

Choate is super dedicated to the run game. He looks to wear out defenses and be super disciplined. This is why Nevada is grabbing 3 star running backs and better.

This is gonna be an on the turf, smash mouth style football and I could easily see between him and hem running with 40-50 carries. Our run defense and depth will be challenged for sure.

I'll still expect Brendon Lewis to put up 70-90 yards rushing also. He loves to run the ball and can be very fast.

I don't think they'll pressure Max Brosmer very much though. I think last week we saw his accuracy improve considerably (80% completion rate for 271 yards) as he gets used to the pace of B1G football.

Minnesota should win this one, but Nevada is on a great trajectory, and I think Coach Choate has already gotten some very good recruits and is defining their game in a way that could make them a very serious contender in the Mountain West very quickly.
Thanks for posting. From everything I've been reading, if the Gophers can win this game by 20 or more it will be a very impressive win.

They'll have a chip on their shoulder. This is a big opportunity for them.

Top Bottom