KJ Maye

It has been discussed here in relation to many players but in general I think fans spend a lot more time worrying about red-shirts than coaches. All things being equal if they can save the year they will but when they look at their players and evaluate who they feel can help the team win, if they think a true freshamn is good enough to be in the rotation he will be.

Coaches know their butt is on the line year in and year out. They are not going to worry about what the roster looks 5 years from now if they think a guy can help them win this year. Sometimes this will lead to a guy playing before he is ready and not having the impact the coaches expect but that just comes with the territory.

+1

Cole Banham Can Play

What did Maye do to earn additional playing time? I wouldn't trade Williams for Maye right now, that's for sure. I hope Maye develops, but he didn't show me much of anything when he was playing. That's not to say he won't be good; just often a reality for a freshman, particularly one as undersized as he is.

Not sure why Banham was playing instead of Maye in the bowl game, but again, it was as irrelevant as Maye had been for most of the year.

Again, not a rip on Maye, just a fact.

I agree that Maye has not made impact like some fans were expecting. I saw enough of Cole Banham in Spring practices to appreciate his talent. He is not big in size, but he plays with a lot of heart.He can be effective coming out of the backfield on passes in the flat, screen passes, or even as a change of pace back to Kirkwood or Williams. I am glad he was rewarded with playing time in the bowl game. He is a great kid.

Practices early in the regular season. I just think Kill is too impatient on this matter. Again, if he intends on building the team for the long haul, I think he should be more judicious in how he proceeds on the red-shirt decisions. He himself said this was a building project from the "bottom up" and that he'd have to lay the foundation first. I don't think burning Maye's red-shirt threatens to erode what Kill has done as he's probably never going to be a true every-down impact player, but I would have gladly not gone "bowling" this year if it ensured more lasting progress down the line. I'm probably in a minority there.

You may get your wish when the team is deeper and he has more confidence in a road win at UNLV in the opener. As it was he probably wasn't willing to take any chances.

You may get your wish when the team is deeper and he has more confidence in a road win at UNLV in the opener. As it was he probably wasn't willing to take any chances.

I think that's everyone's (including me) hope.

Kill's the boss and it's his program and as others have said, while he's burned a lot of red-shirts, he hasn't done it in the mindless way that Brewster did.

I think that's everyone's (including me) hope.

Kill's the boss and it's his program and as others have said, while he's burned a lot of red-shirts, he hasn't done it in the mindless way that Brewster did.

Guess I disagree that Brewster was any more mindless than Kill when it came to redshirts. I think in general they and pretty much all coaches have the same philosophy. They play a kid if they think he can help they red-shirt him if they don't. Any red-shirts that Brew pulled would have been based on the staff feeling the kid deserved to see the field. Brewster and Kill are very different but in this instance they are both going to be the same in their desire to play the people that can help them win regardless of what year in school they are.

I agree that Maye has not made impact like some fans were expecting. I saw enough of Cole Banham in Spring practices to appreciate his talent. He is not big in size, but he plays with a lot of heart.He can be effective coming out of the backfield on passes in the flat, screen passes, or even as a change of pace back to Kirkwood or Williams. I am glad he was rewarded with playing time in the bowl game. He is a great kid.

Yeah, I think he'll get some snaps next season. He was impressive in spring practices, he was the scout team player of the year the last two seasons. . .he can play a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if he was returning kicks/punts and get onto the field a bit next season.

Name sounds familiar. Is he related to the cop that wrote the false police report on the Vikings' head of security beating a cameraman?
http://books.google.com/books?id=Jl...a=X&ei=CPzkULHLEcfp0gGso4HQBA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ

The least of our worries should be the true freshman who played this year, or in the words of some, "burned" their redshirt. Remember, this class was close to 30 players, so we still had 10 scholarship players who did redshirt in addition to the 10+ walk-ons. There is no way this program, or any program for that matter, can afford to have a senior class of 30 players. Ideally, each senior class should have 15-20 players, so this helps us get there. Besides, the guys that played this year are the ones who Kill is going to sink or swim with. They needed to play to get some experience, because they are going to be counted on to win football games for the next 3 years. Case in point are players like Derrick Wells and Cedric Thompson. Someone could argue that they should have been red-shirted as freshman because they didn't play much, but I would argue that even the limited playing time they got was a significant reason for the success they each had this year.

Top Bottom