Kills Toughness

ryanlee1

Reaction score
I will say, if Kill is back coaching this week, the man's got big balls. I hope that toughness rubs off on the team (I think it will). What more can you say, guy has a seizure and is in the hospital for the part of the week and plans on coaching. That is a tough sob!! You have to appreciate the toughness he brings to a team and believe it will rub off on the players, or I guess the players who don't get on train won't be around.

I will say, if Kill is back coaching this week, the man's got big balls. I hope that toughness rubs off on the team (I think it will). What more can you say, guy has a seizure and is in the hospital for the part of the week and plans on coaching. That is a tough sob!! You have to appreciate the toughness he brings to a team and believe it will rub off on the players, or I guess the players who don't get on train won't be around.

is it really toughness or a guy just doing his job? I like Kill but lets be realistic if it was something that he was a huge health risk his doctors or the U wouldn't allow him to go on the sidelines this week.

I understand the original post but I would think surviving cancer (and landing this wife) have cemented his place in the Big Balls HOF.

It might just be the scar tissue on the brain.

Lord, could I use some.

I don't question Kill's toughness at all. He's clearly a tough dude.

I don't question Kill's coaching ability. He may or may not be the answer, but his resume is solid.

However, I'm a pragmatist. Despite all the 'people can live normally with seizures', etc., etc., etc., the fact of the matter is Kill has now basically missed a week of preparation, and we've heard no word on when he's returning. That is NOT GOOD. Unfortuately, coaching division one football isn't like a normal job. We can't just postpone a meeting, or push back a project because someone has periodic health issues. The game is happening SATURDAY, Kill or no Kill.

I'm not advocating any course of action. I'm not saying Kill can't be an effective coach. I'm saying this is a bigger deal to the Gopher football progam than the relatively minor health risk it is to Kill personally.

However, I'm a pragmatist. Despite all the 'people can live normally with seizures', etc., etc., etc., the fact of the matter is Kill has now basically missed a week of preparation, and we've heard no word on when he's returning. That is NOT GOOD. Unfortuately, coaching division one football isn't like a normal job. We can't just postpone a meeting, or push back a project because someone has periodic health issues. The game is happening SATURDAY, Kill or no Kill.
This only becomes a big problem if it happens frequently (and at that point the bigger concern is for Coach's health). Given the amount of preparation that appears to have been done with the staff to assure continuity in this situation should it occur, the drop off in game preparation may be negligible. Or it could be huge. My point? We have no idea how negatively this will be affecting the team. It's all random speculation.

This only becomes a big problem if it happens frequently (and at that point the bigger concern is for Coach's health). Given the amount of preparation that appears to have been done with the staff to assure continuity in this situation should it occur, the drop off in game preparation may be negligible. Or it could be huge. My point? We have no idea how negatively this will be affecting the team. It's all random speculation.

Agree, it is all speculation and anyone claiming to know cause and effect in this situation is full of theselves. However if the team lays an egg on Saturday there will be people on this page writing that the coach's health was the likely cause or the cause. Maybe, maybe not. As you wrote, this will likely not be a big problem unless it happens frequently. If it does happen frequently then I think it could be argued that the coach can no longer do his job, as game planning, presiding over practices,meetings and leading the team on game day are big parts of what head coaches do. My hope is that coach Kill has a heathly, long and successful tenure at the U. Go Gophers!

However if the team lays an egg on Saturday there will be people on this page writing that the coach's health was the likely cause or the cause. Maybe, maybe not.
Exactly. And if the Gophers win it doesn't mean it was no problem either. There just isn't going to be any real way to tell short of the players and coaches flat out saying it was a huge problem.

Per Marcus on twitter:

Limegrover said on KFAN now: "(Kill) would be visible to the team (Sat) and be around whether it's on the field or in the press box."

I have to believe that if he is still in the hospital as of today, he won't be on the field on Saturday. So, if you have your head coach, your defensive coordinator and your offensive coordinator (who have taken on the lead roles in his absence, especially Claeys) up in the box - who takes the leadership role on the field on Saturday?

What about the impact to the program and future seasons? Is it unreasonable to believe that some kids considering Minnesota will see Coach Kill's health as a significant negative of choosing to play for the U?

I tend to see this as a problem, period, whether it happens frequently or not. You can point to the weather as a primary cause and it being 'not that big of a deal', but the reality is many reasonable people will believe that being a head coach in the Big Ten is not the best type of job for someone who has the health issues that Coach Kill does.

If some of the kids are thinking this (i.e., I'm afraid for coach - maybe this isn't the best job for him), and I have to think they are, that's not good. For those who have never seen a seizure up close and in person, it can be extremely frightening and create a lasting image. It would be wonderful if Kill is ready to go Saturday and it turn outs in the grand scheme of things this seizure isn't a 'big deal', but that will not be the universal perception of stakeholders.

I hope Kill is back on the sidelines Saturday and his health is great and the program is good for years to come... but, count me as one who is feeling a little uneasy. That feeling isn't going to change whether the Gophers win by 21 or lose by 21 on Saturday.

you could say the same thing with MSU and Dantonio having a heart attack last season after the ND game. That doesn't seem to have any type of negative effect on their rah-crutin.

There will always be a chance of this happening again. From what I have read and heard he is still in the hospital for a couple of reasons. One, this is a new medical group working with him and they don't want to leave any stone unturned. Second, this was the first time it has happened in over 5 years on the sideline. This is leading them to re-evaluate all his medications.

I heard Phil Miller comment that at NIU there was a trainer whose only job was to watch coach Kill during games. He also made it sound as if they are more worried about the affect on others then coach Kill himself. It can be traumatic to people to see someone go through a seizure.

What about the impact to the program and future seasons? Is it unreasonable to believe that some kids considering Minnesota will see Coach Kill's health as a significant negative of choosing to play for the U?

I tend to see this as a problem, period, whether it happens frequently or not. You can point to the weather as a primary cause and it being 'not that big of a deal', but the reality is many reasonable people will believe that being a head coach in the Big Ten is not the best type of job for someone who has the health issues that Coach Kill does.

If some of the kids are thinking this (i.e., I'm afraid for coach - maybe this isn't the best job for him), and I have to think they are, that's not good. For those who have never seen a seizure up close and in person, it can be extremely frightening and create a lasting image. It would be wonderful if Kill is ready to go Saturday and it turn outs in the grand scheme of things this seizure isn't a 'big deal', but that will not be the universal perception of stakeholders.

I hope Kill is back on the sidelines Saturday and his health is great and the program is good for years to come... but, count me as one who is feeling a little uneasy. That feeling isn't going to change whether the Gophers win by 21 or lose by 21 on Saturday.

I tend to agree with everything you're saying, but the empirical evidence is running exactly counter to that. The U secured two new commitments after Kill's seizure, and there will be 4 commits visiting this weekend. If people were really that worried about it, commits would be dropping like flies, not coming on board right after the incident.

I tend to agree with everything you're saying, but the empirical evidence is running exactly counter to that. The U secured two new commitments after Kill's seizure, and there will be 4 commits visiting this weekend. If people were really that worried about it, commits would be dropping like flies, not coming on board right after the incident.

It seems like it would have been much worse if it had occured in the last game of the season. If he comes back and coaches the last 10 games without incident, I think it becomes a distant issue pretty quickly.

Of course it could. But as others have noted, you could say that about any coach with a health issue. Meanwhile, all we can do is speculate b/c you won't be able to prove that the health issue is hurting things without recruits saying so.

Same can be said for Dantonio. You could argue the same for Paterno. Etc, etc.

Then those people don't understand how seizure disorders work. Again though, you're speculating outcomes and feelings for people you don't know.

Fair enough and that's your prerogative. All I've been saying is that no one knows how big of a deal this is and there is no way to prove it one way or the other right now.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it's unreasonable to believe this will affect some kids. The fun part of that assertion is that it's difficult to disprove - the fact that a couple of kids committed means little to nothing. In fact, one could argue that for kids that were 90% to 100% already on Minnesota, last Saturday's events might actually propel them to commit ("he's a warrior, I'm a warrior, I believe in him, I'm with this program!"). At the same time, the claim is tough to prove with any solid measurement. I doubt we'll ever have kids getting interviewed when they commit to another schools saying, "yeah, Minnesota was interested in me, but I didn't consider them because their Coach has medical issues".

Nonetheless, I can absolutely see a scenario a few years down the line (or sooner) if things don't work out how Gopher fans wish, where people point to Saturday and Kill's overall health as one of the reasons why he didn't work out as the head coach of Minnesota. Perhaps now is time to ask the questions (if they haven't been asked already - I honestly have not read much on this and haven't heard anything on TV or the radio). Did the University have Kill provide a comprehensive list of his history of seizures and what did it say (i.e., including seizures when not in public)? Why did they make a 'risky' hire? Right or wrong, this will get tossed back in the face of the University if the team doesn't win.

Someone had brought up the Michigan State coach who had a 'mild heart attack' and went on to say that Sparty's recruiting has been good and therefore there was no impact. Going back to what I said above, how can this be proven? Might it have been better without the HC's medical issue? Then again, not an analogous situation. Dantonio was older than Kill, already Michigan State's head coach before the issue first arose, the cause and appropriate treatment was understood, hadn't happened multiple times before he arrived at Michigan State, etc.

Kill has been having seizures for more than a decade. He just turned 50. They don't know what the cause(s) was of Saturday's seizure. Tough young men were on their knees crying. Fans were crying. I'm scared for the guy. Sometimes medical conditions and certain professions aren't a great mix. This might be one of them. At a minimum, it's not unreasonable to believe that this will negatively affect some kids.

GoAUpher said:
All I've been saying is that no one knows how big of a deal this is and there is no way to prove it one way or the other right now.

I agree with this, but I first posted in this thread because that is not all that you were saying earlier:

GoAUpher said:
This only becomes a big problem if it happens frequently.

I suppose I just feel that the longer term implications could be more significant than you do. I hope that doesn't become the case, but this is not just a "get through Saturday's game and everything is back to normal like it never happened" issue.

Like I said earlier, GW, I'm coming from the same place you are. The whole ride home from the game last Saturday, the conversation I had with my wife centered around, "At some point, maybe you have to think about hanging it up." Not for the sake of my team, but for the sake of the man living long enough to meet his grandchildren.

But aside from that emotional aspect, all we have to go on is the hard data. Both of the recruits who have committed since the seizure episode had multiple BCS offers. They could've gone to play for multiple teams that are as good or better than Minnesota in every non-emotional sense of the word. The fact that they didn't shows that the health problems really aren't a big deal for them. Just like I can't prove that recruits are still choosing Minnesota in spite of Kill's health issues, you can't prove that some recruits are (or may be) staying away because of them.

I would be real surprised if he is not up in the booth for the game. I would think he will take a back seat as far as coaching goes but he will probably be at the game.

I think your lifestyle becomes a battle once you've fought cancer, the more you make things normal the easier it is to handle and ultimately beat.

My experience with life threatening illnesses is that you never give it up, it's what keeps you fighting.

Nonetheless, I can absolutely see a scenario a few years down the line (or sooner) if things don't work out how Gopher fans wish, where people point to Saturday and Kill's overall health as one of the reasons why he didn't work out as the head coach of Minnesota. Perhaps now is time to ask the questions (if they haven't been asked already - I honestly have not read much on this and haven't heard anything on TV or the radio). Did the University have Kill provide a comprehensive list of his history of seizures and what did it say (i.e., including seizures when not in public)? Why did they make a 'risky' hire? Right or wrong, this will get tossed back in the face of the University if the team doesn't win.
Kill made them aware of it 30 minutes into a 4 hour interview. His history with seizures was well documented in the public record and if he's being that forthright about it then any non-public events were likely also discussed. The time to ask the questions was before the hire was made. All we can do now is trust (because 2nd guessing the move for health reasons with details none of us are privy to is beyond pointless). I'm going to be a bit of a jerk here and ask you why you're making a thing out of this while admitting you've done no research/reading?

Kill has been having seizures for more than a decade. He just turned 50. They don't know what the cause(s) was of Saturday's seizure. Tough young men were on their knees crying. Fans were crying. I'm scared for the guy. Sometimes medical conditions and certain professions aren't a great mix. This might be one of them. At a minimum, it's not unreasonable to believe that this will negatively affect some kids.
It's called a seizure disorder. There are many possible triggers, many of which can depend on the individual (one way to think about it is someone who has really bad migraines...the symptoms are often similar between patients but the triggers are not). Which means they may not pin down exactly why this attack happened. Which also doesn't equate into a huge deal (unless the incidents continue). The little reading I've done combined with asking some q's of some coworkers who are physicians leads me to understand that when treated properly, this typically isn't a life threatening thing. It sure is scary as s**t to see, but that's an education issue.

The two quotes you compare aren't meant to be contradictory. One speaks to my feelings on the severity of the incident. The other speaks to the fact that while we each have out opinions, no one KNOWS with certainty what the effects are. It's all hot air from all of us. I do not think this single incident is a big deal right now. I also don't think it is a big deal long term. Should the seizures become more frequent or severe then I might revisit that feeling. But that is just another hypothetical.

I suppose I just feel that the longer term implications could be more significant than you do. I hope that doesn't become the case, but this is not just a "get through Saturday's game and everything is back to normal like it never happened" issue.
Again, that's your prerogative. I'm simply saying there is no point in speaking in hypotheticals about a medical condition we all have only a passing familiarity (at best) with.

why would Kill take a back seat for the game? He has coached with this staff for a long time. Pretty sure anyone of them could step out for a week come back in and have confidence in picking up the game plan. It also helps that they have familiarity with the personnel they are going up against this week in Miami (Ohio).

I also believe if they are trying to build foundation out of cement and not sand as he has said there are certain things they are trying to stress and display regardless of the opponent. To me that is where the head coach plays the bigger role anyways.

Kill made them aware of it 30 minutes into a 4 hour interview. His history with seizures was well documented in the public record and if he's being that forthright about it then any non-public events were likely also discussed. The time to ask the questions was before the hire was made. All we can do now is trust (because 2nd guessing the move for health reasons with details none of us are privy to is beyond pointless). I'm going to be a bit of a jerk here and ask you why you're making a thing out of this while admitting you've done no research/reading?

The question was whether the University requested a comprehensive list and if so, what did that list say. You apparently do not have any answers. Indeed, the time to ask the questions by Minnesota was before the hire was made - I'm saying that if the public does not know what the answers were as of today, then perhaps now is the time to ask the questions (i.e. instead of just assuming that 'any non-public events were likely also discussed' as you do). Under the circumstances, I don't believe that wanting to know how often Coach Kill has had seizures in the past is "making a thing out of this". I keep hearing, "Kill has a history of seizures" - well, what is that history? Do we know?

I don't think you're being a jerk by that question, but you are making things up. I didn't say I've done no research/reading. I said I have not read much on this - enormous difference and the definition of that phrase is subjective. What I haven't seen is a detailed discussion of the history of his seizures - specifically, his history of seizures when not out in public. I am familiar with some sideline episodes and a seizure that occurred after taping a TV show.

It's called a seizure disorder. There are many possible triggers, many of which can depend on the individual (one way to think about it is someone who has really bad migraines...the symptoms are often similar between patients but the triggers are not). Which means they may not pin down exactly why this attack happened. Which also doesn't equate into a huge deal (unless the incidents continue). The little reading I've done combined with asking some q's of some coworkers who are physicians leads me to understand that when treated properly, this typically isn't a life threatening thing. It sure is scary as s**t to see, but that's an education issue.

Let me clue you into something - the incidents are continuing. For more than a decade they have continued. How often? That is what I'd like to know and what you think is unreasonable for me to want to know. An education issue? Understand that perception is reality. However, even the hard reality is scary. I'm worried for the guy and I can absolutely guarantee you that there others who are thinking, "maybe it's time for him to retire from the head coaching ranks". Or maybe everyone should stop being concerned and take your approach..next time he is violently convulsing on the sidelines and every soul in the stadium is freaked out, just keep playing. "No big deal, guys... he's just doing that seizure thing again, it's not life threatening, so let's get back to the game..hey, players.. we talked about this.. you're educated that this isn't a big deal.. turn that frown upside down and let's play pigskin!"

PS - when you say, "the little reading I've done", you mean that you have done no reading, right? Sounds similar to 'not read much', which you equate into no reading.

Every situation is different, but as a child I had a form of Epilepsy that thankfully was treatable with medication. When I had seizures it definitely had more impact on the people around me than myself. It scared the S#!t out of my parents, much like I am sure it did players, but I didn't even know they occurred. I am not sure if Coach Kill remembers his at all, but I am certainly hoping he is back on the sideline and returning to a normal life, or at least as normal as we can expect.

If Jerry Kill noted in his interview that he has a disability and demonstrated how he could overcome the disability, the U could not discriminate and remove him from the pool of candidates. He obviously has shown a plan of action to overcome the disability. The U chose to not object to the disability on the grounds that he met all their criteria for performance. If the U asked him if he had a disability prior to its self disclosure, it would put the U in a tough position to justify it. Only a bonafide business reason for the denial of such an application is acceptable to the DOL. Otherwise, the several acts that cover such denials would open up the U to a unfair hiring practice charge.

His seizure is disruptive to the team. It effects the workload of other coaches and staff. It burdens the players. It burdens the public. It obviously affects how recruits view the vitality of the coach, rightly or wrongly. Whether it affects recruiting is uncertain at this point, but if it affects game planning enough to lose again next week (causal relationship uncertain), then it will open up more speculation on the reliability of Jerry Kill to be the coach. If he on occasion can not fulfill his duties, is that enough to terminate his employment. If he can not fulfill his duties, just because he has a disability does not prevent the U from ending their relationship with him.

Frankly, I don't give kudos and attaboys to people with disabilities because they show up to work. You get no larger nuggets for carrying on a job. It is part of the human condition to adapt and overcome our own obstacles. If he doesn't, well that is understandable too. But, as far as it effects the organization, this is a strike against Jerry. He has impacted the club negatively by his absence this week. If it happens more often than recent history, it exposes a weakness in the relationship that Joel Maturi will have to fairly examine to see if Kill is still a good fit for the organization.

Jerry Kill needs to address for himself what triggers these events and work hard for his own sake to minimize them. As often as he has had them in games makes me believe there is a connection to game conditions that can trigger a significant number of events in the future. I hope the doctors can assist him in a care plan that can overcome these triggers during games and at other times. I think he will need to follow through with whatever they work out with him. This can not be easy to do. I wish him luck and good health.

Oneoldgopher you just fouled out, baggage or not Jerry Kill was the best coach available when we hired him. I can live with his disability far better than I can tolerate reading you. Coach Kill just might be trying too hard but that's what this program needs some one who keeps working thru adversity. I have full faith in Coach and the medical staff to keep his condition under control.

I'm saying that if the public does not know what the answers were as of today, then perhaps now is the time to ask the questions (i.e. instead of just assuming that 'any non-public events were likely also discussed' as you do). Under the circumstances, I don't believe that wanting to know how often Coach Kill has had seizures in the past is "making a thing out of this". I keep hearing, "Kill has a history of seizures" - well, what is that history? Do we know?
Why? Seriously! Why do we need to know every detail of the man's medical history? Will it help us cheer the Gophers better? Will it help recruiting? Will it help Kill win? Is it even our business? Or do you just have some pathological distrust of the U that needs itching?
What I haven't seen is a detailed discussion of the history of his seizures - specifically, his history of seizures when not out in public. I am familiar with some sideline episodes and a seizure that occurred after taping a TV show.
There has been some notes written in the last week (would have to search the 20+ articles I've read to locate a link and don't have time right at the moment) that he has had about 6+ more private incidents. Again, I must ask though...why is it the business of the fans and what good will it do?

Let me clue you into something - the incidents are continuing. For more than a decade they have continued. How often? That is what I'd like to know and what you think is unreasonable for me to want to know.
All the articles have covered that. The last one was 5 years ago. You want details on the private ones that happened before that. Kill may be a public figure, but he isn't the president. We didn't elect him. He doesn't control nuclear weapons. He coaches football. We all want the best for the Gophers and want them to win again. But when did it become our business to know all the details (not just the ones that explain public events) of the private medical history of a head coach? You're right, I do think you're being unreasonable.

An education issue? Understand that perception is reality. However, even the hard reality is scary. I'm worried for the guy and I can absolutely guarantee you that there others who are thinking, "maybe it's time for him to retire from the head coaching ranks".
Yep, perception is reality. It's not Kill's fault if people don't understand seizures well enough to have a perception that isn't misinformed by their fear.

Or maybe everyone should stop being concerned and take your approach..next time he is violently convulsing on the sidelines and every soul in the stadium is freaked out, just keep playing. "No big deal, guys... he's just doing that seizure thing again, it's not life threatening, so let's get back to the game..hey, players.. we talked about this.. you're educated that this isn't a big deal.. turn that frown upside down and let's play pigskin!"

Or maybe folks could recognize that while significant, its the first time its happened in 5 years and recognize that they could hold the epic freakouts in check until there is evidence of a growing problem today.

GoAUpher, we're not going to see this the same way and that's fine. You're not concerned about his health or how it affects the stupid people who don't understand seizures and are misinformed by their fear. I am.

However, if you could find me a couple of the articles you're referring to, "all of" which you say covered some 6+ more private incidents, the last of which occurred 5 years ago, that would be sincerely appreciated. I've been unable to find any of these. By the way, when will there be 'evidence of a growing problem'? You said you might change your tune if the seizures become more frequent - when does that happen? If it happens one more time? Every week? Every day?

I've seen Dr. Pat Smith and others suggest that the weather and dehydration may have been to blame. Sure it was warm for September, but it was only 90 degrees, a temperature he's been outside for many times in the past. Dr. Smith said the Gophers' medical staff will be much more cognizant of Kill's condition from now on. "I'm going to be his worst enemy, We will have measures in place to address that issue. But that's easy to do." Didn't we already know of the condition? If the measures are so easy to do, why weren't they taken?

Can the Gophers' medical staff do something to ease the stress Kill feels during games? I'd say that's just as likely of a contributor as the weather. Let's go back to his most famous of the handful of seizures we know about. Southern Illinois had just reached a #1 ranking earlier in the week. They were heavy favorites playing on their home field. The temperature at kickoff in Carbondale was 74 degrees and got cooler as the 6pm game progressed. Sounds lovely. However, this game didn't go as planned. Southern Illinois got rolled 61-35 by a big underdog, Illinois State. With 30 seconds remaining in the game, Coach Kill collapsed on the sidelines. Sound familiar?

Jerry Kill has said, “The one thing I can promise is that I’m going to work my guts out for you, I’m a workaholic..." Normally I'd think that sounds great. After learning a bit more about his history - a history which I'd like to understand more fully, specifically with regard to the frequency and severity of non-public seizures - and witnessing the scene this past Saturday, it doesn't sound so great anymore.

GW we have no idea how this is going to progress, why not wait and see before hitting the doubt/panic button.

He never had a single incident at NIU, he may have only 1 here, he may have 20, we don't know right now, but that said, there are plenty of issues with this football program that need fixing, the head coaches' health right now is not #1, Kill's track record of building programs should give him a certain amount of credibility in dealing with his health's "perception" and overcoming any issues it may bring up while building a program. He's dealt with it before, he will do so again.

We had 2 recruits commit on Sat while Kill was in the hospital, he brings it up to all recruits, to all players, coaches, and he did bring it up to fans, but we ignored him just like we ignored his warnings about the talent and depth level here.

I'm more concerned right now about our offensive/defensive lines and our overall depth and talent than I am about the potential for a ghastly future where Kill's health is at risk. He says he deals with it every day, he says it's scary but not life threatening or damaging, I believe him.

If your asserting that there is a coverup to hide seizures, provide some evidence. Perception is important, but we can't presume that people will have such a perception, at least not among the people who matter - potential recruits. If recruits have questions about Kill's seizures, they can ask him themselves when he recruits them. If Kill wins here, recruits won't care about seizures. If he doesn't win here, recruits will only care that the team loses.

If recruits will sign with a coach who has had heart attacks, why should we think that seizures will scare them off?

Top Bottom