Kill was the best amongst those truly interested

Wheaton

Reaction score
I have posted this a couple of times and no one seems to respond to this. I direct this to most of the Kill haters out there.

Kill was the best person who had true interest in the job and that is not a slight on the Gophers team. Several of our coaching candidates turned down other jobs. Now if you want to be upset about Leach I don't blame you as I also am.

But there must be more to Leach that we don't know because this guy still doesn't have a job. He hasn't even interviewed to my knowledge. If he doesn't have a job starting next year then you know there is more to it than we know.

1.) Troy Calhoun - Comfortable at his Alma Mater. Took his name out of the Colorado race and turned down Tennessee last year.
2.) Al Golden - took his name out of the Vanderbilt gig. Looks clear he is fine with the money and winning at Temple while waiting for Jo Pa to retire and his chance at the Penn State job
3.) Brady Hoke - Its clear the interest in Minnesota wasn't the same in Minnesota's interest. He used the Gophers as leverage for more money from SDSU.
4.) Randy Edsall - Who would want to leave the Big East? Honestly, he has a less than mediocre team, not even in the top 25 AP or BCS polls and he is going to a BCS game. Hard to convince a guy who only knows easy winning to come to a much more competitive (about to become even more) Big 10.
5.) Mike Bellotti - Took his name out of the Colorado running. Happy not coaching at the moment
6.) Jim Harbaugh - his next job is in the NFL or Michigan. End of Story
7.) Gary Patterson - Going to a BCS game and is about to join an easy to win in Big East, would you want to leave?
8.) Chris Petersen - successful team moving to a new conference. Also probably scared to leave Boise after seeing what has happened to former Bronco coaches after they left the friendly confines of Boise Idaho.
9.) Phil Fulmer - old, no ties to the mid-west. Didn't make a lot of sense, doubt we will see him coaching anywhere else soon.
10.) Randy Shannon - This one you can be a little upset about as well. He had interest, if you liked him then you may have a beef.
11.) Jeff Jagodzinski - he apparently interviewed. Do you think he is better than Kill? I do not.
12.) Marc Trestman - apparently never contacted. How bad would everyone want to burn down the entire campus if he was hired?
13.) Paul Chryst - No thank you, clearly a better candidate than Kill
14.) Larry Fedora - I would rather have Kill honestly, what about you?
15.) Dan Mullen - Would of came but we weren't about to give up 5 mill for him and his staff. Clemson spends some top money in college football and they don't even spend 5 million on coaches and staff.

There are more to mention, but none that had obvious interest or interviewed.

If Dan Mullen was there for the taking that would really bug me. How much do we lose in tickets sales this year and next?

If Dan Mullen was there for the taking that would really bug me. How much do we lose in tickets sales this year and next?

I don't think you understand. According to Doogie, Mullen was there for the taking, but were talking about Dan Mullen.

you really want to spend more than most in college football for Mullen? I maybe willing to do that if Nick Saban was the hire, but not for Dan Mullen.

Spot on Wheaton.

Kill was the best of the guys that wanted to come here.

Shannon was an underachiever, no thanks.
Leach, good coach but too much risky baggage
Once you take out the guys that were clearly not interested, Kill was the best guy for the job.

However, I will say that Maturi is partially to blame for bigger name coaches not wanting to come here.

Good post, Wheaton. It's also interesting to note that Stanford is now stepping up to the table to give Harbaugh more money to keep him from bolting. More and more schools, even places like San Diego State, are making a strong effort to hold on to their coaches. Makes finding a proven winner that much harder.

Spot on Wheaton.

Kill was the best of the guys that wanted to come here.

Shannon was an underachiever, no thanks.
Leach, good coach but too much risky baggage
Once you take out the guys that were clearly not interested, Kill was the best guy for the job.

However, I will say that Maturi is partially to blame for bigger name coaches not wanting to come here.

I believe the fans have the right to be upset with how Maturi conducted the search by getting everyone's hopes up for a big name.

However, take that out on Maturi. Kill is our guy and a good coach.

I forgot to mention one guy
17.) Kevin Sumlin - According to Doogie did not have enough interest in Minnesota. Probably wont be going anywhere this year anyway as he clearly didn't have any interest in Colorado.

My strategy would have been to make public offers to some if these coaches. If the MWC and Big East want to retain the coaches that Big Ten teams want we might as well run the price-up on them.

The biggest shift in the coaching landscape since Mason was hired is that fewer and fewer coaches are motivated by playing the best. Everyone just wants a cheap and easy path to a BCS Bowl.

As a result, a good job in the MWC, WAC, CUSA, and Big East have become better jobs because of how easy it is to play in a BCS bowl, despite the money. And even the job at Iowa or Wisconsin (non-rebuilding jobs) would probably be more attractive to a coach ONLY because of the money.

My response to the question is Maturi's presense limited the number of candidates attracted to the position. I'd be very hesitant committing to a new position if I was almost certain I'd have a new boss shortly.

I don't think you understand. According to Doogie, Mullen was there for the taking, but were talking about Dan Mullen.

you really want to spend more than most in college football for Mullen? I maybe willing to do that if Nick Saban was the hire, but not for Dan Mullen.

I would have to look at the numbers. How much money are we going to lose the next few years? How much money can Mullen generate form donors? What was our max number to pay a coach? What are we paying Kill? It is hard for me to compare us to Clemson when I know that our fans will drop season tickets when the going gets tough. Truth is I don't have all the facts but Joel does have them. I don't trust Joel.

1st...very good and logical post.

My problem is that the U is not considered a better place to coach... Why?

I believe the fans have the right to be upset with how Maturi conducted the search by getting everyone's hopes up for a big name.

However, take that out on Maturi. Kill is our guy and a good coach.

I forgot to mention one guy
17.) Kevin Sumlin - According to Doogie did not have enough interest in Minnesota. Probably wont be going anywhere this year anyway as he clearly didn't have any interest in Colorado.

I agree, Kill is a good coach. Good, but not great. Or not great yet, at least.

I'm 100% behind Coach Kill. It's not his fault if people don't see him as the best guy for the job,but I don't think that will stop him.

I mentioned this a little bit in another thread, but I wanna see if any of these guys end up at Miami (or even Michigan if that one suddenly opens). Right now, it appears that we got a pretty decent hire. Miami looks like they've swung and missed pretty hard themselves, as Mullen even appears unlikely for that job and their looking at guys like BRAD CHILDRESS of all people, and other NFL coordinator types. I think, for whatever reasons, you're seeing schools make more of an effort to keep coaches at their spots. Maturi definitely got people excited, but right now, it's looking like almost all of these coaches aren't going anywhere, and most of them, to be honest, are in better positions to win big than Minnesota is.

Good list. I disagree on Shannon and Fulmer, but the rest are probably correct. But how much of it is folks not thinking it's a good job, and how much is Joel? Rumors are he scared candidates away last time, it's hard not to imagine he did it again. Do we believe that Hoke, Golden, etc. had absolutely no interest in a huge pay raise and job in the Big 10? Or did they think our AD was a dithering idiot and figure they were better off waiting a year for a similar job with a better boss?

Why?

#1- You are a gutter program in the Big Ten. If you want to see major bowl games you have to go through, Wisconsin, Ohio St., Michigan,Iowa, Michigan St. and Penn St. Now you also have to deal with Nebraska. It's really hard to post a 0-2 loss season in the Big Ten.

#2- The program has been garbage most of it's recent history. There is almost no tradition here.

#3- AD isn't committed to paying the big bucks.

#4- Why go to a basement dwelling program and have to fight your way through 4-5 tough teams when you can stay in a BCS conference that really shouldn't be one and get an easy road to a BCS game?

Its simple, you don't win you lose your job. Any idea how hard it is to get another shot at a HC job once you've been fired?

Edsall for instance, can stay in the Big East, beat no teams in the top 25 and make it to a BCS bowl game.

He comes to Minnesota he has to beat Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and now Nebraska to try and simply become bowl eligable. Kill is a brave man if you ask me.

I would have to look at the numbers. How much money are we going to lose the next few years? How much money can Mullen generate form donors? What was our max number to pay a coach? What are we paying Kill? It is hard for me to compare us to Clemson when I know that our fans will drop season tickets when the going gets tough. Truth is I don't have all the facts but Joel does have them. I don't trust Joel.

I just don't understand overpaying for a guy like Mullen. He is a mediocre SEC coach. Now I understand the SEC is a lot better than the MAC, but you would be shelling out more than most schools in America for a TWO YEAR HEAD COACH!

I don't like that idea at all. If he came at the right price, heck I'd even say 2 million a year that is ok, but not what he wanted.

Fedora > Kill

any day of the week.

ok, I think I disagree, but are we even certain Fedora was interested/interviewed?

His name was the product of one day of Twitter fodder and we never heard of him again. The rumors turned out to be untrue!

Its simple, you don't win you lose your job. Any idea how hard it is to get another shot at a HC job once you've been fired?

Edsall for instance, can stay in the Big East, beat no teams in the top 25 and make it to a BCS bowl game.

He comes to Minnesota he has to beat Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and now Nebraska to try and simply become bowl eligable. Kill is a brave man if you ask me.

I large number of people on this board believe that the Twin Cities is such a great place to live that these advantages shouldn't mean a thing. I try to point out that winning sometimes trumps weekends up at the cabin but get blank stares back. How many coaches have been fired from here and never coached again?

I just don't understand overpaying for a guy like Mullen. He is a mediocre SEC coach. Now I understand the SEC is a lot better than the MAC, but you would be shelling out more than most schools in America for a TWO YEAR HEAD COACH!

I don't like that idea at all. If he came at the right price, heck I'd even say 2 million a year that is ok, but not what he wanted.

Wasn't the 5 million for his whole staff? I'm not really sure what the average coaching staff makes per year. I'm not even sure Mullen sells tickets. Leach will be the love I lost.

Wasn't the 5 million for his whole staff? I'm not really sure what the average coaching staff makes per year. I'm not even sure Mullen sells tickets. Leach will be the love I lost.

I agree. While I would have loved Mullen, I do think the notion that hiring him would have had the casual fans beating down the door to TCF filling the coffers with money is misguided. Instead of 'who the heck is that'? the reaction would have been 'well I don't really know who that is, but he was in the SEC. OK I won't cancel.'

I agree. While I would have loved Mullen, I do think the notion that hiring him would have had the casual fans beating down the door to TCF filling the coffers with money is misguided. Instead of 'who the heck is that'? the reaction would have been 'well I don't really know who that is, but he was in the SEC. OK I won't cancel.'

It would have depended on how much the media talked him up. I'm sure if we hired Mullen, Brett Farve would've been suspended hours after causing the media to forget about Mullen.

It would have depended on how much the media talked him up. I'm sure if we hired Mullen, Brett Farve would've been suspended hours after causing the media to forget about Mullen.

You think Roger Goodell is a member of Save Gopher Football? Hmm...

You couldn't be more wrong on Mullen. Mullen would have been a major homerun hire. We'll never know the whole story, but he is far from a mediocre coach. He would have excited the fans, players, and media. Everyone is a risk, but we couldn't have done better than Mullen imo.

I'm behind Kill 100%, but Maturi blew it if he could have had Mullen.

You couldn't be more wrong on Mullen. Mullen would have been a major homerun hire. We'll never know the whole story, but he is far from a mediocre coach. He would have excited the fans, players, and media. Everyone is a risk, but we couldn't have done better than Mullen imo.

I'm behind Kill 100%, but Maturi blew it if he could have had Mullen.

I'm not saying Mullen would have been a bad coach, quite the contrary. I'm saying he was not worth what he wanted.

Whoever asked yes it was 5 million for his entire staff. I don't know how you would break that up, but as I mentioned, a school like Clemson (Who is basically only known for football, a football school and football crazy) only spends 4 million a year on their entire coaching staff.

The money is there to hire a guy for 2 to 2.5 million dollars a year, and there is a good chance Maturi over exaggerated exactly how much money we had to spend (we have to pay off Brewster, Mason, pay the new coach and pay his buyout all while the U is in the red and the state's financial situation is in shambles) but I don't think anyone expected us to drop Nick Saben, Urban Meyer money on a coach.

Nice summary...

Yes, there is disappointment in the Hole this winter.

Daddy promised Holers a BMW and we got a solid Buick.

Buick's do have the capability to get from point A to B just like a BMW, they are reliable, have a good deal of power under the hood and generally perform well in all weather...granted...the BMW gets more stares and looks from the rubes and hot chicks, but the ride might not be much better.

I'm not saying Mullen would have been a bad coach, quite the contrary. I'm saying he was not worth what he wanted.

Whoever asked yes it was 5 million for his entire staff. I don't know how you would break that up, but as I mentioned, a school like Clemson (Who is basically only known for football, a football school and football crazy) only spends 4 million a year on their entire coaching staff.

The money is there to hire a guy for 2 to 2.5 million dollars a year, and there is a good chance Maturi over exaggerated exactly how much money we had to spend (we have to pay off Brewster, Mason, pay the new coach and pay his buyout all while the U is in the red and the state's financial situation is in shambles) but I don't think anyone expected us to drop Nick Saben, Urban Meyer money on a coach.

The money doesn't concern me at all (not my money I know). We need more right now than what Clemson and other schools need. If it will cost us, oh well. You get what you pay for most of the time. I'm guessing we could have made that money back a lot sooner than later with Mullen.

I'd feel a whole lot better knowing Mullen didn't even give us a second thought. I could live with that even though that really drives home the notion that our situation is that dire.

Top Bottom