Kill to Bobby Bell on bringing winning fball to U: We’ve got to do it the Pitt St way

BleedGopher

Reaction score
http://www.morningsun.net/newsnow/x...tate-football-coaches-speak-at-coaches-clinic

From this article:

"Jerry Kill

Kill accepted the University of Minnesota head coaching job in December; ironically, Northern Illinois, Kill’s previous team, beat Minnesota 34-23 last season, a loss that no doubt contributed to the firing of former Minnesota coach Tim Brewster.

Serving first as defensive coordinator under Franchione and then offensive coordinator under Broyles, Kill coached during some of the best years for PSU football. He’s been a collegiate head coach for 17 seasons, making stops at Saginaw Valley State (1994-98), Emporia State (1999-2000), Southern Illinois (2001-07) and Northern Illinois (2008-10) for a record of 127-73.

On being at the clinic: I walked into the back of the hotel. I’ve not been nervous too many times. I’m nervous today.

On his time at PSU: It’s a privilege to say that I got my roots at Pittsburg State. I learned a tremendous amount of football from Coach Fran. Life’s about relationships. I wouldn’t be a head coach without John Levra. There’s no better guy in the world than John Levra.

On tackling: Look at the NFL. Nobody knows how to tackle.

On blocking: It’s a lost art. We’d do board drills (at PSU). Coach Broyles would say, ‘That’s what we did in Carnie Smith’s day.’ Coach Broyles, you’ll be proud. We did board drills this spring.

On board drills: That’s Pittsburg State, baby!

On ball security: If you take care of the ball, you’ve got a chance to win.

On special teams: There’s nothing more deflating to a football team than somebody blocking a damn punt against them.

On the game: The game of football, gentlemen, is the greatest game ever invented.

Bobby Bell, a Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker who played from 1963-1974 for the Kansas City Chiefs and who played his college ball at the University of Minnesota, attended the clinic Thursday evening. Kill incorporated a story involving a conversation he had with Bell — Bell asked how Kill would bring winning football to the Gophers and Kill said, “We’ve got to do it the Pittsburg State way.”

Go Gophers!!

I like the emphasis on the basics. I remember a Vikings-Packers game where the Viking player just knocked the receiver down without wrapping him up, and the Viking is doing a stupid sideline dance, not noticing that the receiver is going in for a touchdown.

A good tackle might not make a highlight reel. But it does the job.

I like the emphasis on the basics. I remember a Vikings-Packers game where the Viking player just knocked the receiver down without wrapping him up, and the Viking is doing a stupid sideline dance, not noticing that the receiver is going in for a touchdown.

A good tackle also gets you an NFL Super Bowl ring, and a nice NFL career...just ask Gopher great Tyrone Carter.

Go Gophers!!

Not sure if this is what you were remembering, but it reminded me of this play...Cris Dishman thought he broke up the pass, but he knocked it onto Antonio Freeman's helmet and he managed to pick it up and go in for the TD. Unbelievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9UUsj12EmU&NR=1&feature=fvwp

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m_dQrqiFIKI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still ridiculous (and painful) to watch 11 years later.

Top Bottom