Kiffin article

AhliBobwa

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=4821890

This is pretty good. Once again, thank god Joel Maturi ignored me when I wanted the Gophers to hire Kiffin. That would have been a catastrophe.

'If there were a stock car race between all the frauds, egomaniacs and two-faced weasels I've ever covered, Lane Kiffin would have the pole position all to himself. Kiffin is a spin doctor without a medical degree. He thinks truth comes in different shades of gray. He demands loyalty, but gives none himself. Kiffin is a used car salesman with a whistle. Wait, that's not fair to used car salesmen. He ditched Tennessee for USC after just 13 games. The remaining five years on his contract, the players he left behind, the nine high school recruits who planned to enroll early, they all meant nothing to Kiffin.

According to someone who was in the room, the Tuesday night farewell meeting between Kiffin and the Tennessee players was "very, very, very hostile." Kiffin told them that coaches come and go, that USC was his dream job. The players, orphaned after less than 14 months, responded angrily.

If not for interim coach Kippy Brown, who calmed the players down after Kiffin's appearance, the tension and anger could have redlined. Put it this way: Kiffin is lucky no one took a swing at him. That was the level of betrayal felt by the players in that meeting room.'

Walking up the stairs, McNeil, a 6-foot-4 280 pound offensive lineman, says that all the televisions in the complex, at least 20, were tuned to still photos of stellar plays featuring USC athletes. In particular, McNeil paused in front of one photo of Reggie Bush diving into the end zone on a sunlit California field.

"I was thinking, 'Damn, Jamal Lewis went here. Travis Henry went here. It ain't like we never had any running backs of our own.'"
-------------------------
McNeil did not hide his disgust. "I was sitting right there and it broke my heart. I came to Tennessee because we were Tennessee, not because we were pretending to be somebody else."

Ugh. Say what you want about Brewster, but I do love the way he has embraced the history of Minnesota football. If you can't do that at Tennessee, you have real problems.

Wow. The question then becomes why wasn't this stuff reported while Kiffin was still at Tennessee?

At Least Something Good Came Out of This

Retailer plans to donate Lane Kiffin shirts to Haiti recovery efforts Story Highlights
Kiffin T-shirts donated by angry fans will go to earthquake recovery efforts in Haiti
The idea came after the retailer heard angry fans say they would burn the shirts
After one season at Tennessee, Kiffin accepted the head coaching job at USC

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A Knoxville retailer will donate fans' Lane Kiffin T-shirts to earthquake recovery efforts in Haiti.

HoundDogs, which sells Tennessee apparel, advertised a 20 percent discount for fans who brought shirts to the store for donation.

Manager Mitzi Sherrill says the owners, Dan and Tona Burks, were hoping to turn a "negative into a positive" when they heard fans talk of burning and ripping up shirts with the former Volunteers coach's name or face on them in the wake of Kiffin's abrupt resignation. He accepted the head coaching job at Southern California.

Sherrill says the store had already been promised a large donation of shirts from a fan in Maryland.

Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

I hope all their recruits leave. How could you play for that guy!?

Wow. The question then becomes why wasn't this stuff reported while Kiffin was still at Tennessee?

B/c I think some programs (i.e. their staffs, athletic depts, alums) keep these kinds of gripes in house. The same sort of thing happened with Callahan at Nebraska. About the time he got fired everyone who had been pissed about his dissing of the old traditions began to speak up loudly. GopherGod may be able to chime in about whether those gripes were public earlier but as I recall the big griping came at the end. The other factor is that he had only been there a year and folks may have been cutting him some slack (or weren't totally fed up with him yet).

I finally got a chance to read the whole thing top to bottom (only able to skim it before). Y-I-K-E-S. Seriously...W-T-F.

Like Monikers said...no matter what your feelings about Brew, about his optimism, his "salesmanship", etc, you cannot deny that he has fully embraced the U and its history. Certainly there are elements of what he has done that are impacted by his time at UT (Gopher Nation, the outline of the state on the back of the helmet, etc) but all in all he has 100% bought in to selling/telling the proud history of this school/football program. At no point have I felt like he's trying to simply clone what Texas has done. Maybe others disagree. But I have to say, nothing would piss me off more then a coach who showed up and decided that the U's history and tradition were something to be put aside/ignored. And I'm not even an alum (just a MN kid who grew up supporting his home state U).

This is the segment of the article that actually made me mad:
FanHouse article said:
As the season neared, a new controversy arose: Kiffin did not want to say General Neyland's Game Maxims. The tradition, in which the Volunteer players chant the seven maxims beginning with:
"Coach Kiffin cared about Tennessee traditions less than the worst Vol hater in the state in Alabama. That man's a snake."
- Josh McNeil, Former Vols Lineman
"One: The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win."

And ending with:

"Seven: Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for sixty minutes."

The maxims trace back to the legendary General Neyland, the all-time winningest coach in Tennessee history and the man the stadium was named after.

Kiffin didn't like the maxims, didn't want to do them. For decades they'd been the final words uttered by every Tennessee player as he left the locker room and rushed onto the field.

Always the head coach led the chant.

No longer.

Kiffin brought in past players and had them lead the team in the chant instead.

Often he was in the coaches' locker room during the chanting. Later, in a departure that altered 70 years of Tennessee tradition, Kiffin didn't take the maxims with the team on the road.

Not a single coach ever said the maxims either, according to team sources.

For McNeil, this confirmed his worst suspicions. "Coach Kiffin cared about Tennessee traditions less than the worst Vol hater in the state of Alabama," he said. "That man's a snake."

That is a neat tradition...a great connection to the program's past. And it's not like it was a Fulmer thing (I could see letting it go then). This is a decades old thing. Imagine Charlie Weiss getting rid of the "Play Like A Champion" sign. Or Dabo Sweeney getting rid of Howard's Rock. I'm just speechless with how foolish this all was. Frankly, had he stayed I don't think it would have taken long before this stuff boiled over.

Friends in LA say

That they think Mike Garrett didn't aim high enough. They expected Jack Del Rio, Jeff Fischer. They think of USC as a pro team and No NFL Coach should have been overlooked. They went on with Gruden. "Kiffin???? WTF!!" They are not happy no matter how they stage it with Kiffin.

And the word out there is Coach Nuehiels sent a card to A.D. Garrett..... Thank You!:D

This sets up so sweet for us

Just dreaming here - Kiffen brings the Trojans to the Bank next fall and Brew beats him - can you imagine the national focus we get on that!! - Plus Volunteer nation loves us even more - even after the band playing "Rocky Top" to the Alabama faithful after the beat down we gave them in the Music City Bowl

Lou Holtz did same thing with Minnesota. I wasn't happy that Lou left us but it was his dream job. You can't blame Lane for taking over at USC and it wasn't entirely unexpected since he had a buyout clause. Good Luck Lane.

Lou Holtz did same thing with Minnesota. I wasn't happy that Lou left us but it was his dream job. You can't blame Lane for taking over at USC and it wasn't entirely unexpected since he had a buyout clause. Good Luck Lane.

Are you, in fact, Lane Kiffin?

Clearly, the guy can do whatever he wants to. Doesn't mean we can't all think he's a total d00sh rocket for doing it, though. And I'm certainly not going to wish him luck.

Top Bottom