Khari Blasingame flips to Vanderbilt

The U of M has very good education, but Vanderbilt is in another level academic wise. Top 30 school vs top 70-75 school. There's quite a difference.

No. Minnesota outranks Vanderbilt in all rankings not affiliated with the US News. US News rankings are very controversial. Look at more reputable and honest rankings. Minnesota is a consensus top 50 university on earth. Vanderbilt doesn't sniff the top 50. No southern school does.

No. Minnesota outranks Vanderbilt in all rankings not affiliated with the US News. US News rankings are very controversial. Look at more reputable and honest rankings. Minnesota is a consensus top 50 university on earth. Vanderbilt doesn't sniff the top 50. No southern school does.

Can u provide more than one link to these rankings u speak of. Not necessarily doubting u but I'd like to see the list u r talking about.

Both are very good schools, and I agree US News isn't always the best source, but if you look at acceptance charts for each school, it takes a higher GPA, and ACT/SAT score to get accepted into Vanderbilt.

Both are very good schools, and I agree US News isn't always the best source, but if you look at acceptance charts for each school, it takes a higher GPA, and ACT/SAT score to get accepted into Vanderbilt.

Being more selective does not mean being better.

Can u provide more than one link to these rankings u speak of. Not necessarily doubting u but I'd like to see the list u r talking about.

Never mind, I found a link. Not sure how respected this list is but u r correct that Minnesota is ranked ahead of Vandy, at least on this list. The U ranks just a few spots ahead of Vandy. There r 7 southern schools in the top 50 and some above Big10 schools. You may want to amend your last sentence.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/World-University-Rankings-2013/USA.html

Certainly. Off the top of my head: Times, Shanghai, amd CMUR. Shanghai has Minnesota at 29. The others are all top 50. Vanderbilt doesn't sniff anywhere close to Minnesota. Type "world university rankings" into a Google search. You will be pleasantly surprised with Minnesota.

Please see post #1102 in the Jeff Jones thread. Won't repost so Homer doesn't get too aggravated. I'm sure he's got something interesting to say.

Oh, calm down...I was just having fun. BTW...I love Oregon. I just got back from Bend and loved it!

Oh, calm down...I was just having fun. BTW...I love Oregon. I just got back from Bend and loved it!

Wish we could have provided more snow for you, it's been a crap snow year - but you're right, Bend is heaven. Can comfortably golf and ski in the same day starting in February.

Decommits happen, it's part of the game. But he didn't even tell Kill and staff he was looking around. That is weak and a sign of poor character. Good riddance.

Not happy to lose anyone but I'm not gonna team about this. Personally, I felt he was a reach anyway.

The typical Gopherhole response. If the situation was the opposite the masses would be praising Kill and staff for getting the poor character, "who", and reach of a commitment to flip.

Ya can't make this stuff up.

These arguments will never end. I think that these type of lists indirectly reflect the quality of undergraduate education, at best. Using this criteria the U has has the advantage of having more alumni that Vandy How that makes one school better than another is beyond me.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Here are the criteria used ARWU uses six objective indicators to rank world universities, including the number of alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, number of highly cited researchers selected Thomson Scientific, number of articles published in journals of Nature and Science, number of articles indexed in Science Citation Index - Expanded and Social Sciences Citation Index, and per capita performance with respect to the size of an institution.

Offers from Northwestern and Vandy - this is a bright kid. It continues to bug me that Stanford, Vandy, and Northwestern aren't consistently in the Top 10. What kid would want to pass up the chance to get an education at one of those schools?

The polar vortex is not a great recruiting tool.

I love your positive attitude. Minnesota has its strengths academically, and in my opinion, the metro area has many assets that far outweigh the winter climate.

The typical Gopherhole response. If the situation was the opposite the masses would be praising Kill and staff for getting the poor character, "who", and reach of a commitment to flip.

Ya can't make this stuff up.
Spare me your sanctimony. Did you expect that people would be singing his praises and dwelling on his loss? The kid doesn't want to be a Gopher, I choose to spend my time worrying more about the kids who do want to be Gophers, not those who don't.

I love your positive attitude. Minnesota has its strengths academically, and in my opinion, the metro area has many assets that far outweigh the winter climate.

I didn't mean to start a pissing match about the quality of undergrad education.

I'm a U grad - sent my kids there and we're not part of the consortium. So don't give me that crap. I love the U.

I've put up with crappy winter weather for over 60 years - god only knows why.

Wishing Coach Kill and his staff nothing but the best. Still mad that Mortell out-kicked his coverage.

Spare me your sanctimony. Did you expect that people would be singing his praises and dwelling on his loss? The kid doesn't want to be a Gopher, I choose to spend my time worrying more about the kids who do want to be Gophers, not those who don't.

It is what it is in recruiting and none of us really has any clue how good a guy is going to be, but his point is valid that anytime a kid commits we get threads about how awesome they look on film and how they are a sure fire starter. When a kid picks a different school over us we get the response that it is no big loss and the staff didn't really want him anyway. When a kid de-commits as is the case here we get the typical "he was a reach", "wasn't that good anyway", "poor character", comments. I am sure back when he committed there was a different thread about how great a get he was and how he would be staple in the secondary for years to come.

Stuff like this is why I tend to not get overly wrapped up in recruiting. I like tracking it and having some idea who is going to sign but outside of that we really know next to nothing about any of these guys until the show up on campus and prove they can play. Heck a few years ago Nelson was the savior of Gopher football......

Everyone is making this a lot more complicated than it should be. If it was about academics, he could have gone to NW. This happened for the same reason that most kids flip in January: given similar options, more often than not recruits decide they want to remain close to home. How often would his parents and family get to see him play at Minnesota? Maybe once or twice per year? For a kid in northern Alabama to play in Nashville, it's less than a 2 hour drive. It's really that simple.

Everyone is making this a lot more complicated than it should be. If it was about academics, he could have gone to NW. This happened for the same reason that most kids flip in January: given similar options, more often than not recruits decide they want to remain close to home. How often would his parents and family get to see him play at Minnesota? Maybe once or twice per year? For a kid in northern Alabama to play in Nashville, it's less than a 2 hour drive. It's really that simple.

Bingo. I don't want to play away from home and make new friends, I want to play close to home with my current friends.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Recruiting is a tough racket. Do all the right things, stick with a kid for months, he commits, and then visits elsewhere without telling.</p>— Lucas Trickle (@LucasTrickleGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/LucasTrickleGI/statuses/427478024607371264">January 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There have been plenty of threads on this subject.

This completely misses the point of why most people are upset. Some people believe that when you tell the coaches you're committed, that should be it and it shouldn't matter if an option "closer to home" opens up in the future...it's simply irrelevant because you have already given your commitment. Other people believe that, in the current college fb environment, you should be free to decommit if you want to regardless of what you've told the coaches.

I can understand the perspective of the recruit who decommits and sees his own future as more important than the word he gave some coaches he's known for a year or whatever. But don't try to act like it's not underhanded.

This completely misses the point of why most people are upset. Some people believe that when you tell the coaches you're committed, that should be it and it shouldn't matter if an option "closer to home" opens up in the future...it's simply irrelevant because you have already given your commitment. Other people believe that, in the current college fb environment, you should be free to decommit if you want to regardless of what you've told the coaches.

I can understand the perspective of the recruit who decommits and sees his own future as more important than the word he gave some coaches he's known for a year or whatever. But don't try to act like it's not underhanded.

Both sides are using each other. The coaches are telling the players whatever they think they need to hear to get them to sign and the players are out there weighing all the information trying to figure out what situation is going to be most beneficial to them.

The fact of the matter in this day and age is that a verbal commitment is nothing more than a place holder for the athletes. I can understand the people that don't like players switching but at the same time you have to remember that even after a guy "commits" to a school the other teams that are recruiting him still keep trying to get him to change his mind. I would bet if you saw the recruiting board at the U of M you would see names on there of players that have given a verbal to another school that the U is still actively trying to get to switch their commitment before signing day. Just the nature of the beast in the world of recruiting.

I may have come across a little too strong in my original post. I am sorry to lose this kid because if we offered him, then Kill and company wanted him. My point is that it wasn't like big time schools wanted him at the time he committed here so I felt like he was kind of a reach that the staff felt like they could coach up. That being the case, if he doesn't want to be here then good riddance. I was unaware of the Northwestern offer. Perhaps other schools besides Middle Tennessee, UAB and us liked the kid. If so, then I stand corrected.

Has the coaching staff not found some good d-backs that were under-recruited? Having offers from a couple other BCS schools doesn't tip you off? Reach is a strong word. The staff have proven that they know what kind of players they are looking for. Khari was clearly one of their priorities. His grades and test scores are very good and these are good indicators of work ethic. Personally......I see this as a big loss.

Minnesota is a better school than Vanderbilt.

Subjective. I think Vandy gets a little over-inflated due to being in the SEC.......but that doesn't make them a poor institution by any means. Vandy is widely considered a great school. Minnesota is as well. There are many factors when considering the prestige of a university, and that makes it difficult to properly rank them. Individual programs, professors, and classes are just a few of the variables. Impossible to correctly rank them. You would literally have to go to each school and assess each program in order to determine these things.

Fitzgerald has a policy at NU that if you commit and then visit other schools your offer is rescinded. NU has lost 3 recruits this year. The current system has no honor and is basically free agency right or wrong.

Fitzgerald has a policy at NU that if you commit and then visit other schools your offer is rescinded. NU has lost 3 recruits this year. The current system has no honor and is basically free agency right or wrong.

Quite true and the easiest way to put a crack in it would to have an early signing period so kids who "commit" could really commit. The problem is the Helmet Schools, the Big12 and especially the SEC won't stand for it because they way over sign and want to pick and choose right up to the signing deadline. While this thread is about a kid leaving a program, it might be more common elsewhere that it's the school that begs out on the commitment.

Or they're telling a kid he should think about looking elsewhere. Something that may happen over at the U too.

Blasingame has either incredible confidence or be content to never play as he is the 6th and lowest rated DB committed to Vanderbilt. I suspect there are returning DBs as well. What is the Vandy coach thinking recruiting another DB when he already has 3 4 stars DBs?

It didn't stop us from bringing Gentry in this weekend. Or Dorian Baker last month. I don't remember anyone criticizing Donovahn Jones last year when he flipped to us from Missouri. It all depends on whether a recruit flips from you or to you.

Khari is a big loss for this recruiting class. We'll see how things end up on signing day, but Kill and Sawvel said last year that DB was going to be one of the most important positions to recruit for this class. We're 10 days away with no one officially on board.

IMO, the point here is that we recruited the kid all season. He commits in Dec. and says he is solid. We stop recruiting his position (safety). Then, apparently without telling anyone, he takes an official this week to Vanderbilt (a week and a half before NSD) and commits. The issue is that if he had told the coaches he was talking an official, they could have brought someone in this week as a backup. Now we are jammed up because there is only one weekend left before NSD. If the kid wants to go elsewhere fine. Just show a little courtesy.

IMO, the point here is that we recruited the kid all season. He commits in Dec. and says he is solid. We stop recruiting his position (safety). Then, apparently without telling anyone, he takes an official this week to Vanderbilt (a week and a half before NSD) and commits. The issue is that if he had told the coaches he was talking an official, they could have brought someone in this week as a backup. Now we are jammed up because there is only one weekend left before NSD. If the kid wants to go elsewhere fine. Just show a little courtesy.

Unless these coaches are idiots, they understand how recruiting works and if they truly didn't have a plan B then they would deserve to get ripped for that. Coaches understand that a verbal isn't binding and while they may have been blindsided by the decommit, I have to believe they have other options on the radar. In this day and age with how quickly players change their minds it would be truly foolish to think that a verbal commitment means a player is 100% going to attend your school.

Top Bottom