KFAN's PA: COACH KILL BITS AND BOREDOM ...

The car dealership analogy is a great one. If I were a Ford dealership and over the last decade ripped Chevy every chance I got, you don't think customers would raise an eyebrow when suddenly I hang a Chevy banner and start talking about all that is good with Chevy??

Assuming by "hang a Chevy banner" you mean you acquired a Chevy dealership, you'd tell customers changes at Chevy have made it a product you're now proud to sell.

Assuming by "hang a Chevy banner" you mean you acquired a Chevy dealership, you'd tell customers changes at Chevy have made it a product you're now proud to sell.

That is what you'd say. Of course a reasonably smart buyer would ask about these changes, to which you'd say "they recently fired their CEO, and the new guy has had lots of success in similar companies!". And the buyer would look around the lot and say, "that's great, but these cars have been mostly built under the old regime.".

That is what you'd say. Of course a reasonably smart buyer would ask about these changes, to which you'd say "they recently fired their CEO, and the new guy has had lots of success in similar companies!". And the buyer would look around the lot and say, "that's great, but these cars have been mostly built under the old regime.".

Jesus H, rural, who cares? No one listens to PA and thinks he loves the Vikings, and always has, because they're such a singularly great organization (at least, no grown-ups or "reasonably smart buyers.") These people are professional sort-of-journalists. PA is the biggest Vikings homer on the planet solely because he works for the Vikings, and he wants to make money. Ten years ago he wouldn't have cared even the slightest about them, and openly admits that not only wasn't he a Vikings fan before it became his job to be one, he wasn't even a FOOTBALL fan. That's the business. In your little car dealership analogy, you're not the customer, you're Chevy. You don't give a flying-F who says what as long as more people want your stuff.
Now that KFAN and the Gophers have a partnership, everyone at the station has an incentive to support the organization. They will cover the team more, in an attempt to get more people interested in following the team/buying Chevys. That's the bottom line here, and it's highly unlikely this move hurts it.

Note the "We Are...Minnesota" on Kill's jacket. So stupid. Whoever thought that it was a great idea to try to appropriate Penn St.'s marketing for ourselves should be fired immediately.

Who was the guy that started this thread?

Tonight, we are all Bulldogs.

We'll sing the Butler war song,
We'll give a fighting cry;
We'll fight the Butler battle--
Bulldogs ever do or die.
And in the glow of the victory firelight,
Hist'ry cannot deny
To add a page or two
For Butler's fighting crew
Beneath the Hoosier sky.

Go Blue!

Jesus H, rural, who cares? No one listens to PA and thinks he loves the Vikings, and always has, because they're such a singularly great organization (at least, no grown-ups or "reasonably smart buyers.") These people are professional sort-of-journalists. PA is the biggest Vikings homer on the planet solely because he works for the Vikings, and he wants to make money. Ten years ago he wouldn't have cared even the slightest about them, and openly admits that not only wasn't he a Vikings fan before it became his job to be one, he wasn't even a FOOTBALL fan. That's the business. In your little car dealership analogy, you're not the customer, you're Chevy. You don't give a flying-F who says what as long as more people want your stuff.
Now that KFAN and the Gophers have a partnership, everyone at the station has an incentive to support the organization. They will cover the team more, in an attempt to get more people interested in following the team/buying Chevys. That's the bottom line here, and it's highly unlikely this move hurts it.

I can understand that, but I can't get it through my thick skull as to why nobody else cares about this. Why everybody else has embraced the school bully because he let us into his club is beyond my comprehension. I guess I'm just a little too Irish and hold grudges longer than most.

Edit: I'll quit posting on this issue now, I suppose the rest of you understand my position and are sick of hearing it by now.

I can understand that, but I can't get it through my thick skull as to why nobody else cares about this. Why everybody else has embraced the school bully because he let us into his club is beyond my comprehension. I guess I'm just a little too Irish and hold grudges longer than most.

Edit: I'll quit posting on this issue now, I suppose the rest of you understand my position and are sick of hearing it by now.

Everyone has embraced this move because it is good for the Gophers. Fans "holding a grudge" won't help anything. I understand your position. For me though there is no point in caring that much about it. It's the radio provider. On the scale of things to get upset about KFAN's about face to Gopher ass-kissing is pretty low on my list.

Are you trying to say that cheering for a team who is about to beat down our hated rivals is the same as adopting another team's catchphrase as our own? :confused:

No. What I'm saying is that it seems disingenuous to say the phrase is "So stupid" and that an individual should be "fired immediately" but then conveniently use the phrase "Tonight, we are all Bulldogs" in another thread.

Personally I like the phrase. Unless it violates some copyright. It is a constant reminder to the players that they are indeed Minnesota. They represent the U and the state, and they should appreciate the gravity of that responsibility when they are attending classes, riding mopeds, or out at the clubs/bars.

No. What I'm saying is that it seems disingenuous to say the phrase is "So stupid" and that an individual should be "fired immediately" but then conveniently use the phrase "Tonight, we are all Bulldogs" in another thread.

Personally I like the phrase. Unless it violates some copyright. It is a constant reminder to the players that they are indeed Minnesota. They represent the U and the state, and they should appreciate the gravity of that responsibility when they are attending classes, riding mopeds, or out at the clubs/bars.

I guess I'm not seeing the contradiction. When we completely ripped off "We are {insert state school name here}" from Penn State it was taking something that was completely identifiable with one of the other schools in our conference and pretending it was ours. Maturi could have tried to convey the same message with a different saying that would have been mimicking but at least unique. Especially considering the origin of the chant - to steal it is almost a slap in the face to the people who fought segregation.

Why not just make a song that says "When you say Minnesota, you said it all" while we're at it???

The car dealership analogy is a great one. If I were a Ford dealership and over the last decade ripped Chevy every chance I got, you don't think customers would raise an eyebrow when suddenly I hang a Chevy banner and start talking about all that is good with Chevy??

Look at Verizon right now ...

They'd been ripping iPhone for years and talking about how great Droid is. Now they carry the iPhone and promote it. I bet they sell a lot of them too.

I guess I'm not seeing the contradiction. When we completely ripped off "We are {insert state school name here}" from Penn State it was taking something that was completely identifiable with one of the other schools in our conference and pretending it was ours. Maturi could have tried to convey the same message with a different saying that would have been mimicking but at least unique. Especially considering the origin of the chant - to steal it is almost a slap in the face to the people who fought segregation.

Why not just make a song that says "When you say Minnesota, you said it all" while we're at it???

Yeah.. I'mma have to go ahead and say I agree with Lakeville Goldy..

Not only is "We Are. [school name]" ripped from Penn State, but doesn't Marshall chant that as well?

Like someone else said, Ski U Mah is FAR more Minnesotan than anything else. And for an AD who constantly promoted getting a HC that 'gets' Minnesota, he certainly doesn't like to promote the one chant/saying we have unique to us.

Not only is "We Are. [school name]" ripped from Penn State, but doesn't Marshall chant that as well?

Like someone else said, Ski U Mah is FAR more Minnesotan than anything else. And for an AD who constantly promoted getting a HC that 'gets' Minnesota, he certainly doesn't like to promote the one chant/saying we have unique to us.

I'd like the U to find some way to use the Ski-U-Mah cheer. It's one of the oldest cheers out there. Too many people only know it as a line from the Rouser. Too many people think that we shouldn't have anything unique. But the best traditions are unique. But once you pull down traditions, it's hard to get them going again.

In EA's NCAA football, you can hear the crowd yelling "Rah Rah Rah for Ski-U-Mah". Too bad the crowd doesn't really do that. How DO you get something like this going? If you just tell people to do it, a few will do it, see no one else is going it, and then stop. You need a core of people doing it. The student section would be ideal, but that needs some life in it. The U should reach out to frats and other student groups. Get them fired up, and they will carry the torch.

Virginia Tech says it as well.There are probably a bunch of schools that do it. That's why I don't think it's that big of a deal either way.

I can't believe people on this board actually believe the "We are...insert school name here" cheer/chant is specific to Penn State. Almost every school in the country does that cheer, some just do it more often like at Penn State but that is a universal cheer all across the country in college athletics.

I can't believe people on this board actually believe the "We are...insert school name here" cheer/chant is specific to Penn State. Almost every school in the country does that cheer, some just do it more often like at Penn State but that is a universal cheer all across the country in college athletics.

I can't believe people on this board actually believe that the cheer originated anywhere other than Penn St. And I can't believe people on this board think that being the umpteenth school to rip off Penn St. is somehow better than being the first. Actually, attempting to adopt it almost 60 years after the original, and 40 years after the Civil Rights movement, is even more lame than earlier thieves.

And no, it is not even remotely approaching a universal cheer at any level of athletics, collegiate or otherwise.

(P.S. Dave Matthews Band sucks. And I have no patience for people who clearly have no clue what they're talking about.)

I can't believe people on this board actually believe that the cheer originated anywhere other than Penn St. And I can't believe people on this board think that being the umpteenth school to rip off Penn St. is somehow better than being the first.

And I can't believe someone who believes so strongly that this is so wrong would co-opt that same phrase in a post about the Butler/red weasel game.

Lighten up folks. I was just poking a little fun at dpo and, as typical on this board, it devolved into yet another pissing match.

So here's a long distance dedication from a secret admirer to dpo.

You've got your ball
you've got your chain
tied to me tight tie me up again
who's got their claws
in you my friend
Into your heart I'll beat again
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock
and sweet you roll
Lost for you I'm so lost for you

You come crash into me
And I come into you
I come into you
In a boys dream
In a boys dream...

Virginia Tech says it as well.There are probably a bunch of schools that do it. That's why I don't think it's that big of a deal either way.

Marquette does it as well, they have it all over campus down there.

Not a big fan of DMB, but I must say Crash Into Me is one of my favorite songs ever.

Like someone else said, Ski U Mah is FAR more Minnesotan than anything else.

You hate agreeing with me so much you won't even acknowledge it when you do? Like 'the name that shall not be spoken' said...;)

PS- Just giving you a hard time, no negative or hurtful intent.

I can't believe people on this board actually believe that the cheer originated anywhere other than Penn St. And I can't believe people on this board think that being the umpteenth school to rip off Penn St. is somehow better than being the first. Actually, attempting to adopt it almost 60 years after the original, and 40 years after the Civil Rights movement, is even more lame than earlier thieves.

And no, it is not even remotely approaching a universal cheer at any level of athletics, collegiate or otherwise.

(P.S. Dave Matthews Band sucks. And I have no patience for people who clearly have no clue what they're talking about.)

You're just wrong and simply can't admit it. This cheer goes on almost everywhere in the country and I don't understand where your animosity comes from. You take this board so seriously, it's a little pathetic. Get out more, honestly.

You think I care that you or others on here don't like DMB? I don't. I'm pretty content in that they were the biggest grossing touring band of the past decade, and all 31 of their shows I've seen are the 31 best concerts I've ever attended. To each their own.

You're just wrong and simply can't admit it.

No, I am not wrong. I can easily admit when that is the case, which it is not here.

This cheer goes on almost everywhere in the country

No, it doesn't. Small handful ≠ "almost everywhere in the country". Sorry.

I don't understand where your animosity comes from.

This is funny, considering you vehemently piped up with your opinion (wrongly, by the way). Please show me anywhere on this thread where anyone said or even insinuated that the cheer is "specific to Penn State". What was said is that the cheer is Penn State's - always has been, always will be. The rest are copycats. Period. Being one among a small handful doesn't make it any better. I suppose you would think it was cool if we started doing the tomahawk chop or played Jump Around between the 3rd and 4th quarters, too?

You take this board so seriously, it's a little pathetic. Get out more, honestly.

Yes, because you know me or anything at all about me. I am on this forum to keep up with the Gophers and pass the time between work tasks - I rarely post when not at work. Look at the times and dates of my posts and you'll see this is corroborated. I personally know more than one poster on this board, and they will tell you that I have no problems, social or otherwise. But, go ahead and keep on thinking you know me on the basis of a few posts on a Gophers-themed message board.

P.S. Looking back through your meager posting history, you seem to have quite a fixation with me. So, tell me - how does my taint taste?

You hate agreeing with me so much you won't even acknowledge it when you do? Like 'the name that shall not be spoken' said...;)

PS- Just giving you a hard time, no negative or hurtful intent.

lol I didn't even look at the poster's name who I agreed with.. I just remembered someone else already mentioned that 'chant'.

As far our disagreement.. To be completely transparent.. I can't even remember what we disagreed on.

Can't we all just get along?

Let's start with an easy one: I think we can all agree that Dave Matthews Band absolutely sucks tailpipe.

A Real Easy One

Let's start with an easy one: I think we can all agree that Dave Matthews Band absolutely sucks tailpipe.

LOL - Your choice of an easy one is quite funny but a real one would be that Jerry Kill is not the best looking college football coach in the nation.

LOL - Your choice of an easy one is quite funny but a real one would be that Jerry Kill is not the best looking college football coach in the nation.

An easier one would be, "I think we can all agree that we don't care what our coach looks like."

The millions of people who made DMB the biggest grossing touring act of the 2000's would disagree with you.

I'm all about ski u mah.

Sports are about creating identity and that is one thing we have in our favor. Minnesota would do well to embrace traditions that are unique to the state and school.

Spam is another one that I wish would come back to the U.

I would think if KFAN wants to jump on the bandwagon (even if it is LOOONNGGG overdue) then great. As mentioned, with the Vikings in limbo with the lock-out, Gophers sports being reported by anyone new is a plus. I'm sure there are plenty of kids that may listen to KFAN from time to time, but if it isn't them, there are adults around them that do indeed listen to it... could even be their parents? Maybe KFAN will develop a better understanding of Gopher football with the new effort? lol

Top Bottom