KFAN question on the way home.

nemosgold

Reaction score
Don't know if any of you listened to KFAN on the way home but Doogie had a guy from Gopher Illustrated. Doogie posed the question, " Who do you believe Jim Hasslett or Tim Brewster?

I'm stuck on this one, I don't think Jim Hasslett would just throw out a story like that and we did hire Davis awful quick.

I think you have to believe Jim Haslett, what did he have to gain by lying about the gophers hiring decisions.

Hate to see Brew put in this position in the first place. If every time he tries to work behind the scenes to upgrade his coaching staff he gets put under the scope, he will not be able to get anything done.

Even if Brew did lie about it, what choice does he have...really! Should he just tell Dunbar hasta, even though he does not have the man ready to replace him?

With the Meyers/Davis change, given how quickly Brew replaced Meyers, he had to have been working on that before Meyers officially resigned even though no one knew about it. That is probably the way he was trying to work this out as well, only Haslett blew it for him.

Now Brew is really going to have problems.

Yes, I believe the right thing to do is fire Dunbar if you don't want him back. Now Brew has put himself in a position where he probably needs to keep Dunbar even though he may want to move in another direction. I don't think there is anything wrong with being honest. You don't need a replacement before you fire someone.

Yes, I believe the right thing to do is fire Dunbar if you don't want him back. Now Brew has put himself in a position where he probably needs to keep Dunbar even though he may want to move in another direction. I don't think there is anything wrong with being honest. You don't need a replacement before you fire someone.

But it is nice to have the replacement ready, especially when it involves recruiting so the recruits know who is going to be there and how they will fit in. I believe it does make a difference. The easier the transition from one coach to another, the better it is.

I agree and out of respect for Dunbar if he is going to be let go I am sure he would rather know sooner than later so it gives him a head start on finding new employment. Also in light of all the staff changes Brewster has had in just 2 seasons he needs to be careful that he doesn't get the reputation in the coaching community as always looking for the next best thing or else few coaches worth their salt will want to come work for him. No one likes their boss always looking over the shoulder for their replacement.

Jim Hasslett probably embellished what went on, and Brewster is not lying. Brewster only denied that they made him a job offer. Brewster did not deny that they talked to him.

For all Brewster knows, Dunbar will decide not to come back next year because of the Davis hire. If Dunbar has expressed disapointment, Brewster would need to be talking to potential replacements should Dunbar leave.

What makes people believe that Davis will be the OC next year or in the future?

im confused. i have been out of the loop for a while. can someone explain to me what is happening here?

Don't know if any of you listened to KFAN on the way home but Doogie had a guy from Gopher Illustrated. Doogie posed the question, " Who do you believe Jim Hasslett or Tim Brewster?

I'm stuck on this one, I don't think Jim Hasslett would just throw out a story like that and we did hire Davis awful quick.

Davis was brought in to improve the running game. The former Purdue OC had something like 1 no-name 1000 yard rusher on his resume in his career. Give me one reason to believe that brew was going to replace a spread OC with a spread OC that had a poor history of running the ball.

My only thought is this guy was originally offered the OC position before we ever hired Dubar. Nothing else makes sense.

im confused. i have been out of the loop for a while. can someone explain to me what is happening here?
Last year our defensive coordinator wasn't doing a good job and Brewster replaced him.

This year our offense has struggled, particularly the line, and Brewster hired Davis as a replacement. Davis has huge credentials, and Dunbar (our coordinator) seems to be past his prime - so people are thinking maybe Dunbar was to be out after the bowl game with maybe Davis being his replacement.

Now, this new guy in at Tennessee - Hasslett, is quoted in the news the other day that he chose Tennessee over other offers, name dropping Minnesota.

The question is whether Brewster was secretly looking for a replacement for Dunbar, is still looking..., if Davis was plan-b to Hasslett, and/or if Hasslett was offered back when Brewster first started.

It's all speculation at this point.

Hasslett is the interim coach for the St. Louis Rams.

Jim Cheney is the former SL Rams assistant who took the coordinator job at Tennessee.

Last year our defensive coordinator wasn't doing a good job and Brewster replaced him.

Withers left on his own and it took Brewster a little time to find a replacement. I don't think Brewster is even close to getting a bad reputation with potential assistant coaches/coordinators since he's only fired his OL coach. And publicly, that was a resignation.

Top Bottom