Kevin Willard: Big Ten doesn't "understand how to schedule a basketball game," has caused its title drought

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Kevin Willard thinks the Big Ten's basketball scheduling is a mess and he isn't afraid to say it. The Maryland basketball coach went in-depth about it on his radio show.

"I just don't think this conference gets it from the standpoint of trying to make sure that everyone's on an equal standing, on an equal footing. Like, I think they throw the schedule open -- you know, obviously, it's a football conference -- and I think they're worried about football. I don't think they understand how to schedule a basketball game," he said. "I mean, the Big East and Big Ten are totally different. The Big East is an all-basketball conference ... You're never on the road more than two games. We'd never have our first five out of seven on the road. You know, the Big East, that's why Villanova has won two national championships and went to three Final Fours Just because the Big East understood how to take care of their teams."

The top seeds have by far the best chance to win.

Kansas, Kentucky, Villanova, Gonzaga, etc. are guaranteed a 1 or 2 seed every year.

Part of me wishes that every sport was organized and governed completely independently of every other sport. As independently as the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, etc. are from each other.

That football teams grouped themselves as they best saw fit. Then basketball teams (men's & women's) group themselves as they best saw fit. Etc.

There was no requirement to be in the Big Ten Basketball conference just because you were in the Big Ten Football conference.

I don't think the Big 10 Regular Season scheduling impacts NCAA success at all. Zip.

Being the last one to play their Conference Tourney on Selection Sunday, may have an affect especially for those that go deep and make it to Sunday (or even Saturday). It can be a real quick turnaround if having to play the following Thursday.

The money and exposure on CBS are nice though.

Part of me wishes that every sport was organized and governed completely independently of every other sport. As independently as the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, etc. are from each other.

That football teams grouped themselves as they best saw fit. Then basketball teams (men's & women's) group themselves as they best saw fit. Etc.

There was no requirement to be in the Big Ten Basketball conference just because you were in the Big Ten Football conference.

The problem with that wish would come with TV broadcasting & the significant funds that flow from that. There are a limited number of widely available sports broadcasting networks and slots for college sports. By virtue of being in the Big Ten, all conference schools in the two major sports are guaranteed significant national exposure and revenue sharing.

Kevin Willard thinks the Big Ten's basketball scheduling is a mess and he isn't afraid to say it. The Maryland basketball coach went in-depth about it on his radio show.

"I just don't think this conference gets it from the standpoint of trying to make sure that everyone's on an equal standing, on an equal footing. Like, I think they throw the schedule open -- you know, obviously, it's a football conference -- and I think they're worried about football.

I think there is some truth to that. Obviously the Big East (his former conference) is going to be basketball centric as only one school (Connecticut) even plays FBS football and is a bottom dweller for the most part. Right now, we probably could list at least 4 Big Ten schools (Nebraska, Penn State, Minnesota, and Northwestern) that don't care that much about basketball. Nebraska would have fired Hoiberg by now if he had been the football coach and Northwestern probably would have done the same with Collins. I don't see Penn State or even Minnesota hiring head football coaches with the thin records of accomplishment possessed by their current basketball head coaches.

Top Bottom