Kentucky coaches behaving badly

cduff

Reaction score
Gillispie: Three Alcohol-Related Traffic Arrests.

Calipari: Two Vacated Final Fours.

Pitino: One salacious sex scandal.

The name missing from that list, Tubby Smith, was a law-abiding, NCAA-rules-following class act who won 76 percent of his games and a national title.

No wonder we couldn't wait to get that guy out of here.

http://www.sacbee.com/846/story/2144745.html

The AD at Kentucky let Tubby get away (or pushed him out of the way), hired an alcoholic without a signed contract resulting in a $6 million lawsuit, then hires the highest-risk coach in America that has 2 vacated Final Fours. The UK athletic program is a mess.

Tubby CHOSE To Leave

The AD at Kentucky let Tubby get away (or pushed him out of the way), hired an alcoholic without a signed contract resulting in a $6 million lawsuit, then hires the highest-risk coach in America that has 2 vacated Final Fours. The UK athletic program is a mess.

Anybody who knows him and has seen him the past 2 years, knows how happy he is in Minnesota.

But you're right, Barnhart is #2.

Pathetic attempts at bashing the best AD UK has had in 30 years because he wouldn't allow the hiring of your idol's son nor extend his contract based upon a stagnating performance on the court and the recruiting trail AFTER making him the highest paid coach in the nation is insulting to everyone's intelligence.

Of course nothing will convince you otherwise and you'll post some numbers, facts, figures, a graph and probably a flow chart to illustrate some totally irrelevant point that you've created to justify your position.

Pathetic attempts at bashing the best AD UK has had in 30 years because he wouldn't allow the hiring of your idol's son nor extend his contract based upon a stagnating performance on the court and the recruiting trail AFTER making him the highest paid coach in the nation is insulting to everyone's intelligence.

Of course nothing will convince you otherwise and you'll post some numbers, facts, figures, a graph and probably a flow chart to illustrate some totally irrelevant point that you've created to justify your position.

A) Just ignore FOT. Most people on here already do.

B) Why are you even here?

B) Why are you even here?

I enjoy talking basketball and despite my best efforts I keep getting drawn into these damn things. I really just need to practice better restraint but that insufferable SOB always posts something that gets my blood boiling.

And just before that

Wasnt it Joe Hall or some name like that who got Kentucky in big time NCAA trouble? They have had quite a series of coaches.

Wait until Coach Cal somehow splits from Kentucky in a few years and their tournament appearances are vacated...think SOMEONE will take notice finally? Guy can coach, but let's see if he can coach without ruining the program he built up.

Best AD in 30 years? CLEARLY that's CM Newton.

I enjoy talking basketball and despite my best efforts I keep getting drawn into these damn things. I really just need to practice better restraint but that insufferable SOB always posts something that gets my blood boiling.

Like facts?

Wasnt it Joe Hall or some name like that who got Kentucky in big time NCAA trouble? They have had quite a series of coaches.

UK got the "death penalty" in 1953 (0 games played, season cancelled) for cheating in the late 1940's and early 1950's under Adolph Rupp.

UK got 2 years' probation in 1976 for cheating under Joe Hall.

Cheating continued in the mid 1980's but NCAA couldn't prove it so UK got "letter of reprimand" in 1988.

Cheating STILL continued in late 1980's under Sutton so UK got 2 years' probation (again) in 1989.

UK hasn't been caught cheating since then.

BTW Numb Nut, UK has no such "nepotism" rule.

The father of UK football players Dennis Johnson and his brother (forget his name) was hired by UK as "assistant AD" when they played at UK.

Tubby was able to hire GG Smith (eldest son) on his staff in 2001 and Saul in 2004 (also on staff).

No such rule exists. It's a blatant lie.

Stagnating performance on the court? His last 5 years at UK yielded 131-40 (77%) record. UK averages 76% all-time so I guess UK has been "stagnating" for over 100 years then.

The father of UK football players Dennis Johnson and his brother (forget his name) was hired by UK as "assistant AD" when they played at UK.

Tubby was able to hire GG Smith (eldest son) on his staff in 2001 and Saul in 2004 (also on staff).

Stagnating performance on the court? His last 5 years at UK yielded 131-40 (77%) record. UK averages 76% all-time so I guess UK has been "stagnating" for over 100 years then.

In his last five years at Kentucky Tubby didn't get a single parking ticket or have any overdue library books!!

http://www.uky.edu/HR/policies/hrpp019.html

Oops.....

No reason arguing over the other stuff. You have no ability to see anything but this fantasy of "persecution" you've created about Tubby Smith and his time in Lexington.

Edit: You made a post about C.M Newton. A fine man and a good basketball mind but a poor A.D. overall. He didn't care one iota about the other sports, made two of the lamest hires in football ever (in Bill Curry and Hal Mumme), ran the AD has his own personal fiefdom (dolling out favors, tickets and jobs which continued under Larry Ivy and resulted in a min-scandal that directly resulted in the changes to the Nepotism Policy) and just about ran the Athletic Department into the ground. Of course his son, Martin, is the new Director of Basketball Operations at UK and was one of the leading figures that helped bring Calipari to UK due to his relationship with both the Coach and Nike.

You degenerate Mitch Barnhart despite the fact that he gave Tubby Smith everything he wanted that he couldn't get under Larry Ivy (who led a deliberate but ineffectual campaign to oust Tubby Smith in the early part of the 2000's that included trying to entice Rick Pitino to return) in regards to assistant pay raises, a new practice facility and rewarding him with a generous new compensation package.

Mitch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>C.M. and it isn't even close. UK Football, UK Baseball, the Olympic Sports etc are all 1000 times better under Mitch's stewardship. Commonwealth is getting expanded, a new basketball arena is being built, a new practice facility already has and a new Baseball/Softball Complex coupled with expanded football facilities are on the way.

Oops.....

No reason arguing over the other stuff. You have no ability to see anything but this fantasy of "persecution" you've created about Tubby Smith and his time in Lexington.

FOT was right...this rule was changed in 2007 and his examples were pre-2007. Truth you are corrrect there is a policy and the policy clearly states that situations such as coaching can be approved by UK and are not prohibited, but do require special approval.

Now none of this is really whats important. The truth is that Tubby is a Hall of Fame coach. The truth is that Gillespie is a drunken douche and Calipari is a cheat and that Adolph Rupp was a bigot and a Hall of Fame coach.

I wish your team the best of luck except when they play us...if ever. Now f-off and stay on your own board. Nobody cares about Kentucky.

FOT was right...this rule was changed in 2007 and his examples were pre-2007. Truth you are corrrect there is a policy and the policy clearly states that situations such as coaching can be approved by UK and are not prohibited, but do require special approval.

Now none of this is really whats important. The truth is that Tubby is a Hall of Fame coach. The truth is that Gillespie is a drunken douche and Calipari is a cheat and that Adolph Rupp was a bigot and a Hall of Fame coach.

I wish your team the best of luck except when they play us...if ever. Now f-off and stay on your own board. Nobody cares about Kentucky.

http://www.uky.edu/HR/policies/hrpp019-071102.html

Read the dates please. Many revisions of the policy have taken place. Which is why when Tubby asked Mitch if he could hire Saul in his last season and get a contract extension he said "No". Tubby wanted to stay and he wanted to make changes but he had little leverage and those two demands were deal breakers. GA's are one (which is why the waiver exists) thing but approving the hiring of an inexperienced son of a struggling coach for a six figure position? That's one of the reasons the policy is in place. Larry Ivy tried to "promote" his stepson from a GA position to a salaried position with the Football program and came under heavy fire. This lead to the first changes in the policy in over 10 years.

Secondly, I'm not making these threads and I don't really like them. But I don't like being called names and being accused of lying.

Thirdly, you can have your own opinion but that doesn't make it a correct one. Rupp wasn't a bigot. He may have had outdated ideas on race that many of his generation had but if you actually READ the history and talk or listen to people who were involved you'd learn that just because John Feinstein and Curry Kirckpatrick write something it doesn't make it true.

Lastly, I'm staying. Deal with it. Maybe people should just stop making Kentucky threads and stick to discussing topics about basketball.

Oops.....

Edit: You made a post about C.M Newton. A fine man and a good basketball mind but a poor A.D. overall. He didn't care one iota about the other sports, made two of the lamest hires in football ever (in Bill Curry and Hal Mumme), ran the AD has his own personal fiefdom (dolling out favors, tickets and jobs which continued under Larry Ivy and resulted in a min-scandal that directly resulted in the changes to the Nepotism Policy) and just about ran the Athletic Department into the ground. Of course his son, Martin, is the new Director of Basketball Operations at UK and was one of the leading figures that helped bring Calipari to UK due to his relationship with both the Coach and Nike.

You degenerate Mitch Barnhart despite the fact that he gave Tubby Smith everything he wanted that he couldn't get under Larry Ivy (who led a deliberate but ineffectual campaign to oust Tubby Smith in the early part of the 2000's that included trying to entice Rick Pitino to return) in regards to assistant pay raises, a new practice facility and rewarding him with a generous new compensation package.

Mitch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>C.M. and it isn't even close. UK Football, UK Baseball, the Olympic Sports etc are all 1000 times better under Mitch's stewardship. Commonwealth is getting expanded, a new basketball arena is being built, a new practice facility already has and a new Baseball/Softball Complex coupled with expanded football facilities are on the way.

Alvis Johnson was on UK AD staff when his 2 sons played football at UK in late 1990's. 1 strike.

GG Smith was on UK basketball staff in 2001 season. 2 strikes.

Saul Smith was on UK basketball staff in 2004 season. 3 strikes, you're out.

CM Newton is Basketball HOFer. Mitch Barnhart AIN'T EVEN CLOSE to HOF level.

Good point. Rule took effect in August 2007. Tubby left UK for Minnesota in March 2007.

http://www.uky.edu/HR/policies/hrpp019-071102.html

Read the dates please. Many revisions of the policy have taken place. Which is why when Tubby asked Mitch if he could hire Saul in his last season and get a contract extension he said "No". Tubby wanted to stay and he wanted to make changes but he had little leverage and those two demands were deal breakers. GA's are one (which is why the waiver exists) thing but approving the hiring of an inexperienced son of a struggling coach for a six figure position? That's one of the reasons the policy is in place. Larry Ivy tried to "promote" his stepson from a GA position to a salaried position with the Football program and came under heavy fire. This lead to the first changes in the policy in over 10 years.

Secondly, I'm not making these threads and I don't really like them. But I don't like being called names and being accused of lying.

Thirdly, you can have your own opinion but that doesn't make it a correct one. Rupp wasn't a bigot. He may have had outdated ideas on race that many of his generation had but if you actually READ the history and talk or listen to people who were involved you'd learn that just because John Feinstein and Curry Kirckpatrick write something it doesn't make it true.

Lastly, I'm staying. Deal with it. Maybe people should just stop making Kentucky threads and stick to discussing topics about basketball.

Tubby did not want to stay but MOST IMPORTANTLY Donna wanted out of KY. Ain't nobody happy if Mama ain't happy.

Alvis Johnson was on UK AD staff when his 2 sons played football at UK in late 1990's. 1 strike.

And the Alvis Johnson situation is one of the reasons the policy came under scrutiny IN THE FIRST PLACE! Not to mention the overall shape of the football program under C.M. and later Ivy was a DISASTER of epic proportions.

CM Newton is Basketball HOFer. Mitch Barnhart AIN'T EVEN CLOSE to HOF level.

Because of his work as a coach at 'Bama and Vandy + his work with the Selection Committee. As an overall Athletic Director C.M. Newton is poor and the facts in the matter showcase that. He'd make a pretty good Director of Basketball Operations though.

Tubby did not want to stay but MOST IMPORTANTLY Donna wanted out of KY. Ain't nobody happy if Mama ain't happy.

Wishful thinking on your part. Dick Gabriel reported the same thing that many others heard:

what made Smith think about a change of address in earnest was his desire to have his son, Saul, join his coaching staff. Everybody knows what kind of pressure he was under to make changes among his assistants, even after the 2004-05 season that saw him a rebound or two away from that elusive second trip to the Final Four.

Call it loyalty, call it stubbornness, Tubby dug in. But toward the end, sources tell me, he agreed to clean house (with the exception of Dave Hobbs) if he could bring Saul on board.

Trouble was, UK has an anti-nepotism policy, the same one of which former Athletics Director Larry Ivy ran afoul when his step-son, Rob Manchester, landed a graduate assistant’s job with the football team.

It’s understandable as to why Smith would want to hire his own son, who eventually did join him at Minnesota. I can relate; my own son, Jack, sometimes travels with me to sporting events to lend a hand. My daughter Kate often pitches in on the UK broadcasts at Commonwealth Stadium and Rupp Arena. I enjoy having them around, seeing as how just last week they were toddlers.

And if you read Gene Wojciechowski’s excellent piece in ESPN The Magazine a few years ago, you’d understand the special bond between Tubby and Saul. Tubby and Donna nearly lost Saul when he was very young to a medical condition requiring extensive surgery, instilling within them the fear no parent should have to experience.

Tubby also told the administration he would shake things up if he could get a contract extension (either one or two years, depending on whom you believe). With 25 losses in the past two seasons, he didn’t really have much of a chance there.

So upon hearing “No, thank you,” he became a Gopher, leaving behind a body of work that was far more impressive in the first eight than it was in the last two.

And the Alvis Johnson situation is one of the reasons the policy came under scrutiny IN THE FIRST PLACE! Not to mention the overall shape of the football program under C.M. and later Ivy was a DISASTER of epic proportions.

Because of his work as a coach at 'Bama and Vandy + his work with the Selection Committee. As an overall Athletic Director C.M. Newton is poor and the facts in the matter showcase that. He'd make a pretty good Director of Basketball Operations though.

I gave 3 examples where family members were hired by UK staff.

Newton is HOFer because of coaching, AD (HE saved UK from Death Penalty in 1989), and other accomplishments.

Barnhart is a clown who panicked and hired a walking DUI coach in 2007. He hired Rich Brooks as football coach, big deal.

Brooks is 31-41 in 6 years at UK, only 13-35 versus SEC opponents. Hardly great results.

Newton's football coach(es) in the 1990's were much better than that.

I gave 3 examples where family members were hired by UK staff.

Newton is HOFer because of coaching, AD (HE saved UK from Death Penalty in 1989), and other accomplishments.

Barnhart is a clown who panicked and hired a walking DUI coach in 2007. He hired Rich Brooks as football coach, big deal.

Brooks is 31-41 in 6 years at UK, only 13-35 versus SEC opponents. Hardly great results.

Newton's football coach(es) in the 1990's were much better than that.

In the face of factual evidence DENY DENY DENY.

The rest of what you say is laughable and shows you have little to no understanding of context or circumstance. You parrot a bunch of numbers as if they have meaning alone, act like an ass on message boards and are just a miserable excuse for a human being.

I shouldn't even get angry and I no longer will. You've turned the enjoyment I took from this board, discussing basketball with some of the folks, into a miserable experience that I no longer have a need for. Good luck Minnesota...you're going to need it.

Sweet Jeebus

I may be one of the few on this board that enjoy posts by Truth and FOT, but when you two get in these Kentucky food-fights I wish you would just get each others email address and leave the Gopher Hole out of it.

I dont give a rats behind about Kentucky. I thank them for driving Tubby into Williams Arena.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I may be one of the few on this board that enjoy posts by Truth and FOT, but when you two get in these Kentucky food-fights I wish you would just get each others email address and leave the Gopher Hole out of it.

I dont give a rats behind about Kentucky. I thank them for driving Tubby into Williams Arena.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yep, Tubby is in a better place at Minnesota. No doubt whatsoever.

In the face of factual evidence DENY DENY DENY.

The rest of what you say is laughable and shows you have little to no understanding of context or circumstance. You parrot a bunch of numbers as if they have meaning alone, act like an ass on message boards and are just a miserable excuse for a human being.

I shouldn't even get angry and I no longer will. You've turned the enjoyment I took from this board, discussing basketball with some of the folks, into a miserable experience that I no longer have a need for. Good luck Minnesota...you're going to need it.

I gave 3 examples of FACTUAL evidence where UK has hired a family member on its staff. Not 1, not 2, but 3.

Everything else I posted was either factual or opinion supported by facts.

Top Bottom