KenPom Preseason Top 100 - MN #59

B1G teams 1-25: 2.

B1G teams 26-50: 10

B1G Teams 26-75: 6

It's still 15th in the 18 team B1G so...no. I'm not sure how many bids the new super conferences will get, but I assume 12 is about the limit.
Thanks

I’m looking for rays of hope anywhere I can find them

In case you are wondering, here are the Pomeroy preseason rankings of our nonconference opponents:

TeamPom Rnk
Oral Roberts
242​
Nebraska Omaha
318​
North Texas
81​
Yale
109​
Cleveland St
182​
Central Michigan
268​
Wichita State
101​
Florida OR
28​
Wake Forest
44​
Bethune-Cook
301​
Fairleigh Dickinson
351​

As I recall, conference opponents Penn State, Rutgers, and Washington received lower preseason ratings than us so Pomeroy is giving us a bit more generous preseason ranking than the preseason rankings posted here previously.

Is this the highest we've been in the CBJ era? Genuine question. Admittedly, this is higher than I thought we'd be, but I think from a quality standpoint, we can be as "good" as we were last year. Problem with that is the league projects to be tougher so we'll take on more losses.

In case you are wondering, here are the Pomeroy preseason rankings of our nonconference opponents:

TeamPom Rnk
Oral Roberts
242​
Nebraska Omaha
318​
North Texas
81​
Yale
109​
Cleveland St
182​
Central Michigan
268​
Wichita State
101​
Florida OR
28​
Wake Forest
44​
Bethune-Cook
301​
Fairleigh Dickinson
351​

As I recall, conference opponents Penn State, Rutgers, and Washington received lower preseason ratings than us so Pomeroy is giving us a bit more generous preseason ranking than the preseason rankings posted here previously.
It looks even sadder now. One non-conference game in the top 80.

Nobody spends more time working on this sort of thing than SelectionSunday...
Sir...do you believe #59 is about right or are we wildly out over our skis 30 spots or more too high?

Nobody spends more time working on this sort of thing than SelectionSunday...
Sir...do you believe #59 is about right or are we wildly out over our skis 30 spots or more too high?
Thank you, but Ken Pomeroy does a lot more digging into player personnel & analytics & everything else than I do, cerrtainly.

My personal opinion? #59 seems high. I was expecting something more along low to mid 80s. So in that respect, it's encouraging for me to see he's that high on the Gophers.

Is this the highest we've been in the CBJ era? Genuine question. Admittedly, this is higher than I thought we'd be, but I think from a quality standpoint, we can be as "good" as we were last year. Problem with that is the league projects to be tougher so we'll take on more losses.

Early last season we had to prove that we were better than our preseason ranking. Early this season we'll have to prove that we're as good as our preseason ranking.

I know that most were disappointed with our nonconference schedule (likely mostly due to the last two teams added) but, if these preseason rankings are at all close to reality, this nonconference is still significantly better than last year. Last year we had only two nonconference opponents ranked above 200 in the final NET rankings (and we lost to both of them). This one features five teams with a preseason rank above 200 including one of Florida or Wake Forest.

Given that we'll only have two ranked above 100, we probably should have done better than two sub-300 teams for the last two picks but we should have two opportunities at the end of the nonconference schedule to clear the bench.

Well, remember we still have the same amount of games so a game with those newcomers will replace a game that we would have had with a previous conference team. One of those newcomers (Washington) is ranked below us and USC is ranked just above us. Our two-game opponents are Michigan State, Wisconsin, and PSU. I'd be fairly surprised if any of those end up in the top 3 or 4 of the league.

Isn’t Rutgers in the Preseason AP 25?

I don't know but they're ranked below us by Pomeroy. I've been thinking they've been overrated by a number of services. Yeah, they have two very highly rated freshmen coming in but they lost a lot from last year's team including their very physical center who transferred. Not many freshmen come into the conference and tear it up in their first year.

Well, remember we still have the same amount of games so a game with those newcomers will replace a game that we would have had with a previous conference team. One of those newcomers (Washington) is ranked below us and USC is ranked just above us. Our two-game opponents are Michigan State, Wisconsin, and PSU. I'd be fairly surprised if any of those end up in the top 3 or 4 of the league.

That's a good point. But playing Purdue, Illinois and Wisconsin only once last year was a huge advantage. I do think as a whole the conference schedule will be better, albeit slightly. But that's just more opportunity for Q1 wins.

I don't know but they're ranked below us by Pomeroy. I've been thinking they've been overrated by a number of services. Yeah, they have two very highly rated freshmen coming in but they lost a lot from last year's team including their very physical center who transferred. Not many freshmen come into the conference and tear it up in their first year.
Cam Christie begs to differ 😁

That’s a little higher than I thought we’d be ranked but this team is the best built team in the CBJ era. We have guard depth and complimentary pieces. I’m excited to see them play.
Agree, but bummed Cochran got injured. As you and a few others have said, the most depth on the team is at guard, Also, no team for the most part get through a season injury/illness free. Maybe good it happened now. I’m excited also.

That's a good point. But playing Purdue, Illinois and Wisconsin only once last year was a huge advantage. I do think as a whole the conference schedule will be better, albeit slightly. But that's just more opportunity for Q1 wins.

I'm actually all right with the three schools we play twice this season: Wisconsin, Penn State, and Mich State. Sure, it could be better but it certainly could be worse. We beat PSU twice last season, split with Mich State, and lost to Wisconsin by 3 points in our one game in no small part because we shot 5-13 from the free throw line.

Cam Christie begs to differ 😁

He did well but I wouldn't say he "tore it up." He had 16 games where he shot under 40%. His True Shooting Percentage was .541 (about average). His Player Efficiency Rating was 13.7 and his Win Shares per 40 Minutes number was .100. Those efficiency numbers are just fair.

Nate Mason's freshman PER was 17.9, Jordan Murphy's was 19.9, and Amir Coffey's was 15.9.

Top Bottom