Katie Borowicz joins the Gophers early!

Jared.Hines

Reaction score
Press Release:

Attachments

• A4D52427-4700-4223-B073-2E4704C83D94.jpeg
    A4D52427-4700-4223-B073-2E4704C83D94.jpeg
    691.6 KB · Views: 40

Awesome news. She was a game changer at the high school level. I’m excited to see the impact she’ll have at the D1 level.

Well I guess I don’t need to worry about scouting Roseau any more. Holy cats.

What a strange year. As whalenfan noted, it makes sense given the uncertainty of the high school season. I certainly don't expect a major impact from her this year but long term it seems like this is the best thing for her. She may well get more practice time in and at a higher level.

I love New Year surprises!

"I chose to enroll early because of the unique circumstances of this year," Borowicz said in a statement released by the team. "COVID-19 has changed a lot of aspects of not only my life, but everyone's lives. There were a lot of variables to consider but ultimately I knew it would give me the greatest chance to become a better basketball player."

Ranked as the 98th best player in the nation by ESPN's Hoopgurlz in the class of 2021, she was the 19th-ranked point guard. The 5-7 Borowicz averaged 31.3 points, 6.8 rebounds, 6.2 steals and 6.0 assists per game. A member of the Roseau varsity since the seventh grade, she helped Roseau win a state title in 2017.

"We know Katie has the ability to score and create assists at an elite level," Whalen said. "We are looking forward to her providing depth in our backcourt."

Excellent!! This team desperately needs a playmaker that can get the other members on the floor involved in the offense!!

"We are looking forward to her providing depth in our backcourt."

Aren’t they already pretty full at PG? If she were to take any significant time from an established player, I smell transfer(s) in the works.

Just saw this in the paper and stopped by to see what peeps were thinking about it. First reaction was "yikes" than thought might as well. Gophers are looking to essentially rebuild this year in a really strong Big 10 and everyone gets that "extra" year if they want so why the heck not.

Hopefully she can be as good for the Gophers as another Roseau player, Megan Taylor, was for my Cyclones a few decades ago. Will be fun to see how quickly she can adapt without any summer/fall college practice prep. Anyway you look at this it is likely to make her a better player come next season than HS play this winter.

Last edited:

I would maybe be ok with a transfer. They’ve won 1 game.

Do you find yourself waffling between whether winning one game is the players fault or the coaching system?

Do you find yourself waffling between whether winning one game is the players fault or the coaching system?
I’m a huge Whalen fan. I’ve been one my whole life, and they will probably never change. I have many opinions on things that could change program wide. (But I’m not the one coaching haha) I by no means am blaming a single player or 2 for this season. They have been through a lot. I do think this team needs an identity and I don’t know if all the girls on the current team will buy into it. That’s more what I’m saying. Idk it’s hard. It’s hard to have buy total buy in.

I think you all need to keep your expectations in check, she is a great team kid, but at 5'2"ish she will have challenges on the defensive end.

Aren’t they already pretty full at PG? If she were to take any significant time from an established player, I smell transfer(s) in the works.

Literally CAN NOT GO without complaining about something. Add a player, lose a player, win a game, lose a game, doesn't matter he has to have something negative. If the Gophers could do something or play bad enough to once and for all lose you a "fan", I hope to god they do it soon.

Lets clear up a few things here.

-She is listed at 5'7, probably closer to 5'6 and either same or slightly taller than Powell.

-In terms of PGs, we have Powell. Hubbard, Scalia, and Smith can run the point, but are all SGs, or SFs.

-lets temper our expectations. This is a win/win. Anything she brings was unexpected so its a bonus. I don't see her playing much, but she can learn the system, get used to teammates, work on getting stronger and knowing the college game. Then having four full years left when next season starts. What's the problem? She isn't going to magically fix issues. She is a bonus player to have. No one has to transfer, they have the spot and had the space to add her.

Last edited:

Shes not going to take any significant time from anyone this year. She probably wont play much at all but this allows her to get a head start and get acclimated to college hoops in a year that doesnt count against anyones eligibility. Im surprised more recruits across the country arent doing this.

She is taller then 5’2. I would say she is 5’5 but comparable to Powell.
She is listed as 5'6" so probably closer to 5'5". This decision makes sense for both parties and hope she provides a spark !

If I am not mistaken, this is a free year.

She will still have 4 years after this year.

If I am not mistaken, this is a free year.

She will still have 4 years after this year.

SKI U MAH.. correct she will have 4 years left.. so maybe use this year to get into the weight room and get college ready, while still getting to practice and learn the system.. could be a HUGE advantage for her coming into next season.

She’s not going to take any significant time from anyone this year. She probably wont play much at all but this allows her to get a head start and get acclimated to college hoops in a year that doesnt count against anyones eligibility. Im surprised more recruits across the country arent doing this.

That was my initial thought, but Whalen was really talking her up (“elite level”) and Borowicz seemed extra excited. I wonder if Whalen made any promises on playing time to nudge Borowicz into this early commit.

Its a great opportunity for Katie, spend a semester learning how college is different, get acclimated to basketball at this level and come in as a Freshman next year with experience..

It was a week before the Nov. 11 signing day, when Borowicz was going to make official her intent to play for the Gophers women's basketball team. She was on a FaceTime call with Lindsay Whalen, her future coach, who asked a question. Something like this:

Do you think it would be crazy if you graduated early and came to play with the Gophers right away?

"I was like, 'Is that a thing?'" Borowicz said Wednesday.

It is

[...]

Now she's here, rooming with fellow freshmen Erin Hedman and Caroline Strande and transfer Kayla Mershon. She is learning the Gophers playbook during practices longer than she can ever remember in high school. She has yet to start classes at the U, but is confident there, too.

I don’t get the vibe that Borowicz won’t be getting much playing time. When it gets to the point that it’s clear that the Gophers won’t be getting any post season tournament invites, she might be getting plenty of time.

I think this is a win win for the Gophers and the player Borowicz. She get's the free year to adjust to college and the speed of the college game and learn. This will give her a step up next fall when the fall practices start as she will know the system and the plays. With the uncertainty of the Minnesota High school season this makes a lot of sense. Excited to see her play down the road, this kid has some pizazz and flair and competitive arrogance we need to spread to the rest of the Gophers. They need a little more fire on the court, it will come but this team needs to be a little more aggressive.

Top Bottom