Karl-Anthony Towns tells of loss of seven family members due to COVID-19, including his mother

Iceland12

Reaction score
Karl-Anthony Towns revealed Friday that his life has been hell on Earth since the pandemic began.

Towns was speaking to a group of reporters during the Minnesota Timberwolves’ Zoom media availability when he opened up about losing seven of his family members to COVID-19, including his mother, Jacqueline Cruz, in April.

“I’ve never been in a mentally good place since (his mother) went in the hospital...I wouldn’t say (basketball) is therapy for me at all,” Towns said.

“I’m the one looking for answers to try to keep my family well informed and make all the moves necessary to keep them alive.”

Like many people in this country, Towns is grappling with the pandemic’s human carnage...

In that press conference, Towns briefly touched on his relationship with teammate Ricky Rubio who also dealt with his mother’s unexpected death when she passed away in 2016. Towns said he was there to support Rubio, and now he is dealing with the same loss.

"Towns revealed he lost six other family members to COVID, including an uncle who he said died Thursday.

“I’m just trying to … keep my family out of harm’s way,” Towns said. “I’ve seen a lot of coffins in the last seven, eight months. But I have a lot of people who are in my family, who have gotten COVID and I’m the one looking for answers still. Trying to find how to keep them healthy.

“It’s just a lot of responsibility. A lot of responsibility on me to keep my family well-informed and make all the moves necessary to keep them alive.”

Damn....I knew that he lost his mother to covid....but six other family members too!? :cry:

Damn....I knew that he lost his mother to covid....but six other family members too!? :cry:

Almost beyond belief. The Pioneer Press has a story on it. Here's part. The rest is at the link:

His mom, Jackie, died from COVID-19 in March, and Towns revealed Friday he has since lost six other people to the virus — and just received a call Thursday that his uncle has passed..

“I’m trying to keep my sister and the kids, my dad out of harm’s way, keep my family out of harm’s way. I’ve seen a lot of coffins in the last seven to eight months.”

Towns said “a lot” of family members have gotten COVID-19. He continues to look for answers on how to fight the virus and best keep his family healthy.

“It’s just a lot of responsibility,” he said. “A lot of responsibility on me to keep my family well informed and to make all the moves necessary to keep them alive.”

Basketball is hardly a blip on the radar compared to such tragedy. He is thankful for the chance to be around teammates and see guys in the locker room. D’Angelo Russell is a close friend. Towns is grateful for the chance to be around Russell, who has been with him and his mother through some of his greatest life moments.

He’s glad to have Ricky Rubio, whom Towns was with when Rubio was dealing with the loss of his mother. Timberwolves’ rookie Anthony Edwards lost his mom years ago, much like Wolves head coach Ryan Saunders lost his father. Towns said talking to Rubio brings some comfort. Those conversations offer brief moments of reprieve...

None of the Righties care because it kills way more Black and Brown people..

Top Bottom