Kane Rob - Minnesota Gophers Football: Spring Game Recap - How Many Points Scored?! Elijah Spencer is a Beast!

hungan1

Reaction score
Concerns about interior defense and defensive secondary depth. Several experienced players like Justin Wally, Tyler Nubin, and BSP either didn't play much or sat out.

IMHO, the Gophers may want to address this before the transfer portal April 30 dateline. Maybe an extra Offensive Lineman will also help.

Kane Rob likes the RB's and WR's. Little worried about offensive line and CB's....maybe add a LB are his portal wishes.

I personally could not have been happier with the spring game (other than Athan’s first 5-6 passes). Secondary depth when you sit your top 2 guys and then split what is left was about what I’d expect. Similarly, split our starting 5 on the line against what appears to be a strong/deep defensive line and you’ll give up some pressures…

My biggest developments that I had hoped to see were all checked off:

1. The RB room is in far better shape for this year than I anticipated (Evans and Taylor both impressed, Bryce was steady, and J. Nubin seemed like the most improved player from last spring to this spring that I noticed…)

2. The WR room is in as good of shape as it has been since 2019. Jackson barely played but still impressed, Brockington appears right on his heels, Spencer obviously impressed, and Crooms and others appeared solid (I only recall the one drop/deflection off of Redding’s chest that became a pick).

3. It appears Winston D has that defensive line group able to create some havoc from a balanced group. I tend to think that Carter saw that he was going to be losing reps to a deep group and transferred out after watching the spring game.

I personally could not have been happier with the spring game (other than Athan’s first 5-6 passes). Secondary depth when you sit your top 2 guys and then split what is left was about what I’d expect. Similarly, split our starting 5 on the line against what appears to be a strong/deep defensive line and you’ll give up some pressures…

My biggest developments that I had hoped to see were all checked off:

1. The RB room is in far better shape for this year than I anticipated (Evans and Taylor both impressed, Bryce was steady, and J. Nubin seemed like the most improved player from last spring to this spring that I noticed…)

2. The WR room is in as good of shape as it has been since 2019. Jackson barely played but still impressed, Brockington appears right on his heels, Spencer obviously impressed, and Crooms and others appeared solid (I only recall the one drop/deflection off of Redding’s chest that became a pick).

3. It appears Winston D has that defensive line group able to create some havoc from a balanced group. I tend to think that Carter saw that he was going to be losing reps to a deep group and transferred out after watching the spring game.
It is worth mentioning Winston Delattiboudere III is a homerun hire! Kudos to PJ Fleck.

I still marvel at how far the Gophers have gone to become a stable well-run developmental program. Multiple players are drafted into the NFL each year. People are noticing.

As was already pointed out I think it is tough to get a true sense of depth when you have players sitting out and also split the squad into two units. That said, I won't be surprised to see some transfers in as well. I definitely think they would take a CB if they can find a good one.

Athan and Spencer seem to have a great connection already as Spencer was targeted a lot. This WR group could be a lot of fun this fall.

College football spring game is the greatest water glass test in all of sport.

Since there's no preseason you practice against yourself, and an optimist's basket of explosive plays is a pessimist's defensive sieve.

I'm not saying either is true, but it makes evaluating anything a funny business.

Everyone can't look great. Agree that this is the as good as I could have expected and I feel very good for this fall.

College football spring game is the greatest water glass test in all of sport.

Since there's no preseason you practice against yourself, and an optimist's basket of explosive plays is a pessimist's defensive sieve.

I'm not saying either is true, but it makes evaluating anything a funny business.
Yeah....I think the name "Spring Game" makes it seem like something it really isn't. It is just another practice in the grand scheme of things and therefore pretty pointless to try and draw many conclusions from it.

Still fun to get a feel for where the team is at and to see some of the young players or new faces in action.

After watching Nebraska's and Wisco's spring game I can gladly say I am satisfied with what I saw out of the Gophers

As was already pointed out I think it is tough to get a true sense of depth when you have players sitting out and also split the squad into two units. That said, I won't be surprised to see some transfers in as well. I definitely think they would take a CB if they can find a good one.

Athan and Spencer seem to have a great connection already as Spencer was targeted a lot. This WR group could be a lot of fun this fall.
Spencer had 11 catches. Were there any misfires between he and AK? I did not see the game but am curious.

Spencer had 11 catches. Were there any misfires between he and AK? I did not see the game but am curious.
Athan missed a bunch of throws early. Not sure how many of those were targeted at Spencer. Once they got locked in though it was pretty impressive.

Athan missed a bunch of throws early. Not sure how many of those were targeted at Spencer. Once they got locked in though it was pretty impressive.
He had Elijah wide open on a post early and overthrew him, then later in the first half had him wide open on a go ball and under threw it by about 10 yards while rolling to his right which resulted in a pick.

Elijah had a great pass from Athan go off his finger tips going out of the back of the endzone and then then OT play which was really just perfect hand placement by the DB

Yeah....I think the name "Spring Game" makes it seem like something it really isn't. It is just another practice in the grand scheme of things and therefore pretty pointless to try and draw many conclusions from it.

Still fun to get a feel for where the team is at and to see some of the young players or new faces in action.
Yup, team wise...time will tell but what was exciting is that we seem to have more guys flash, explode, show quickness etc than maybe some past springs. Optimism there might be more playmakers on the horizon than just the guys who sat out.

Top Bottom