Kadyn Betts: I love this University too much, I love the coaches too much. This is my home, truly, and I want to stay here no matter what.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per an article in the MN Daily from a few weeks ago:

Kadyn Betts was far from ecstatic to be sitting on the bench once again, but his coaches are not ones to worry about a single season. They reassured him his time would come.

Kadyn Betts’ parents instilled loyalty and a hard work ethic into him at a young age. They always made sure that anything he started, he finished.

Those values his parents imparted came to fruition during that tough time of not being on the court. When asked if transferring was ever an option during those first two years, Kadyn Betts was adamant that he would not leave.

“It never even crossed my mind,” Betts said. “I love this University too much, I love the coaches too much. This is my home, truly, and I want to stay here no matter what.”

Betts kept his confidence high and it carried over to this summer. Johnson had high praise for the 6-foot-8-inch sophomore.

“He’s really done a good job when we’ve gone live throughout the entire summer,” Johnson said. “Not just being a guy that can shoot threes, but can drive it, can make plays in transition, can defend multiple positions.”

Kadyn Betts is heading into his third year on the team but still has three seasons of eligibility left. He is among the handful of Gopher players who stayed with the team after last season ended.

The self-proclaimed versatile player said he will do what is needed to win among the other four veteran Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

Great to hear and rare loyalty these days.

Even if he can't crack the rotation this season- hopefully he keeps working hard, develops, and eventually turns into a player down the line for us.
Definitely becoming a rare mentality, wanting to work and stick it out somewhere as opposed to jumping ship and chasing money/opportunity elsewhere.

Hopefully this is the year it comes together for him and he is able to make an impact on the court. But props to the kid and his parents for hanging onto an old school mindset in the midst of all the insanity in college basketball and football these days.

If Betts can contribute, that will certainly help the depth this season. He doesn't have to be Superman - just chip in 6-8 points and 4-5 rebounds. Making some 3-pters would help, too.

6-8 points and 4-5 rebounds per game would be quite a lot given what we've seen so far. To put that in perspective, Parker Fox averaged 5.1 points and 2.9 rebounds last season while averaging 14 minutes per game. Reggie Lynch averaged 8.4 points and 6.1 rebounds in 23 minutes per game during his lone full season as a starter here.

I hope he's genuine about this which I'm sure he is at least for the time being. Really looking forward to the impact he will make in his Junior and Senior seasons. Anything we get from him this year will be a nice bonus.

Betts is not replaceable against a team with two big wings. The Gophers have only one other big wing besides Betts. (Odukale)
Betts prevents a matchup problem in that situation.

Betts is not replaceable against a team with two big wings. The Gophers have only one other big wing besides Betts. (Odukale)
Betts prevents a matchup problem in that situation.
Betts is much more of a 4 than wing, player profile wise.

I just don't see a huge role for him this season. He's fighting for scraps behind Garcia, Fox, and MItchell in the frontcourt. We could also see some lineups with Odukale as the 4 given our abundance of guards this season (finally!!).

Betts is likely in direct competition with Edmonds for any minutes he sees off the bench (non garbage time).

Hopefully he gets some playing time and makes the most of it. I am excited to see what this roster can do.

Top Bottom