Justin Gaard: I'm hearing good news about Stoudermire getting redshirt

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet:

"Been gone + Not sure it's been reported, but I'm hearing good news is coming regarding @_stoudermire11 getting a medical redshirt #gophers"

Go Gophers!!

if there is any truth to that at all

I think it's great, but I will wait for Kill to actually mention something rather than a twin cities media hack.

per this tweet:

"Been gone + Not sure it's been reported, but I'm hearing good news is coming regarding @_stoudermire11 getting a medical redshirt #gophers"

Go Gophers!!

God, I certainly hope this is the case! This would be huge for the secondary going into next year!

Gaard is a hack, he was an a$$hole to the fans at the games all season.

His job is to be a sideline reporter for the Gopher radio network. Who cares what the fans at the games think? A$$hole to me means he was focused on his job.

Troy on one side Shabazz on the other - gotta love that!

Fingers are crossed for this one. That would be HUGE to have him back. Both in the secondary and catching those kickoffs. Just hearing about that tweet is good news. I doubt Gaard would have tweeted it if there wasn't anything substantial behind it.

I wouldn't call this "news". I've been saying since he got hurt that this was all but a certainty.

The NCAA seems to be more liberal with the medical redshirts these days. According to his bio page, Stoudermire has played in 41 games already, which is more than the majority of players, unless they start for 4 years. He also played > 30% of the games this season.

The NCAA seems to be more liberal with the medical redshirts these days. According to his bio page, Stoudermire has played in 41 games already, which is more than the majority of players, unless they start for 4 years. He also played > 30% of the games this season.

30% of a 12 game season is considered 4 games, not 3. They round up. He played in 4 games. That stipulation shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info Gaardsy!!! I think you are a pretty good guy even for a media hack!!! ;) AND from Edina!!!!

Not trying to hijack a thread, but how?

Back on topic....I hope it's true. Having Troy back would be awesome! He really seemed to want to be here and part of the team whenever you saw him on the sideline last year.

It's good news, but for the most part it's just a mathematical equation. They need to make it official, but it would be strange if he was not granted another year. With the NCAA, strange things do happen, so you never know, but i've always been pretty confident Troy was getting another year.

It's good news, but for the most part it's just a mathematical equation. They need to make it official, but it would be strange if he was not granted another year. With the NCAA, strange things do happen, so you never know, but i've always been pretty confident Troy was getting another year.

Agreed....sometimes the NCAA makes some weird decisions that make you scratch your head. This one should be a no-brainer....but not holding my breath

This would be great news. Two years in a row of positive offseason DB (Royston) news. Seems like in the past stuff like this never happened. Last year in our defensive backfield with out Royston? Ugly.

I hope so if foir no other reason it gives players who have been injured an opportunity to reestablish their draft value following an injury.

Not trying to hijack a thread, but how?

Back on topic....I hope it's true. Having Troy back would be awesome! He really seemed to want to be here and part of the team whenever you saw him on the sideline last year.

Alright the hack part was a little far fetched. But our group and both families on either side of us with little kids attempted to talk with him before, after, and during games and he wouldn't even respond. He would act like he was King and all we were saying was like hey and small talk etc and we were always sober.

He did a really good job covering the gophers this year and can't wait to see the coverage improve even more in the upcoming seasons but it just bugged me how he wouldn't even show the kid gopher fans some enthusiasm like every other person would/does. I'm over it haha

Anyway, if Troy is indeed back that is HUGE for us next year and makes our team a lot more dangerous in terms of potential big plays and leadership.

Pulling for Troy!

(Assuming his academic are in good order.)

The CB position should be solid next year if he's back. We'll have some talent and experience w/ T Stoud, Vereen (got better late last year), Carter (if a fire is lit under him), plus Shabazz and Boddy. That's 3 guys with lots of B1G experience and 2 players that were highly regarded JCs. It's a much better situation than we've had recently, and the days of having to start freshmen should be over.

It's safety that is a much bigger concern at this point....

Yeah, if everything falls into place, our DBs should be improved. It's really hard to guess what you're going to get from a JuCo, if we got play from one of them at Henderson's level, i'd be happy.

We'll have some talent and experience w/ T Stoud, Vereen (got better late last year), Carter (if a fire is lit under him), plus Shabazz and Boddy.

Can any of these guys play safety?

FR Dinero Moss is a fast\strong safety if they go that direction and don't redshirt. Or if he stays a committed (ok a lot of ifs)

FR Dinero Moss is a fast\strong safety if they go that direction and don't redshirt. Or if he stays a committed (ok a lot of ifs)

Moss is an interesting prospect, I personally think he ends up a CB (in the Stoudermire mold), playing on the weakside of the field. I think it's obviously still up in the air, but his coverage skills were pretty impressive in his videos.

Steven Montgomery is a kid who I think will be a S next season. He was one of the most highly recruited kids in our entire class last season, he'll probably be around 5'11" 200 lbs, and I full expect him to compete for time at S.

Another kid is Cedric Thompson. I was impressed with him in mop up duty last year, he's a really tough kid if you watched him on special teams.

Lastly, Levine was another tough kid on special teams. I don't recall seeing him getting a ton of snaps during the games, but he was definitely tough. I remember that awesome graph Dpo made of the onside kick against Iowa, and the kid plays with that chip on his shoulder. I have never seen him in coverage, but I know he's pretty fast and he's tough. I am a little curious to see how is future plays out, I know i'm always on here changing guys positions, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he ends up at LB. He put on 10 lbs since HS and he's already 205-210....if he could get up to 225, I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up at OLB (but that's PURE speculation).

I do think the thing that is going to be the biggest factor in whether or secondary is decent next year is the play of Manuel. If he can take a BIG step up, we have a team. He's the Hageman of DBs (Hageman of '10). He has all the tools but he hasn't really shown anything.

would love to get stoudermire back for one more season. the more the merrier. and i would like his experience and # of games played on the field as well.

Bob, good call on Steven Montgomery. I remember we were very excited to get him and I didn't hear a lot about him during his red-shirt year.

Top Bottom