Justice?

bga1

Reaction score
Compare the treatment of two cops who shot and killed people. Kim Potter made a bad error, shot the wrong gun at a man attempting to resist arrest and got a prison sentence for her error.
Michael Byrd who shot Ashli Babbitt, an unarmed woman, never even got questioned.
The question any more is not- What is justice?- but rather- What are the politics of the situation?

Go4Broke

Reaction score
1642000719285.png

Officer Who Shot Ashli Babbitt: Jan. 6 Rioter Was ‘Posing a Threat to House of Representatives’

Lt. Michael Byrd of the U.S. Capitol Police Department told Lester Holt of NBC News that he was under death threats, including beheading, and continued to be wary as a result of social media postings.

“I think I showed the utmost courage on January 6, and it’s time to do that now,” Byrd told Holt in an in-person interview aired on the NBC Nightly News.

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: My name is Michael Byrd. I’m a Lieutenant for the United States Capitol Police.

LESTER HOLT VOICE OVER: FOR MONTHS HE HAS LIVED IN HIDING. HE SAYS, OVER THIS MOMENT, HIS DECISION TO USE DEADLY FORCE AGAINST A RIOTER AS SHE CLIMBED THROUGH A BARRICADED DOOR THAT LEADS TO THE HOUSE CHAMBER. IN THE MONTHS SINCE, HE’S BEEN THE TARGET OF THREATS.

LESTER HOLT: Could you give us the nature of some of those threats?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: They talked about, you know, killing me, cutting off my head. You know, very vicious and cruel things.

LESTER HOLT: Racist things?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: There were some racist attacks as well. It’s all disheartening because I know I was doing my job.

LESTER HOLT: Given the nature of the threats that you describe, do you have any concern about showing your face and identifying yourself?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: Of course, I do. That is a very vital point. And it’s something that is frightening. I believe I showed the utmost courage on January 6th. And it’s time for me to do that now.

LESTER HOLT VOICE OVER: RESPONSIBLE THAT DAY FOR SECURING THE HOUSE CHAMBERS, BYRD COULDN’T SEE WHAT AMERICANS WERE WITNESSING ON THEIR TVS BUT HE COULD HEAR IT IN THE PLEAS FROM OTHER OFFICERS.

LESTER HOLT: Were you afraid that day?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: I was very afraid.

LESTER HOLT: What are you hearing on your radio?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: I’m hearing about the breaches of different barricaded areas, officers being overrun, officers being down.

LESTER HOLT: Did you ever hear a call or a report of shots fired during any of this?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: As a matter of fact, I did. There was reports of shots fired through the House main door, onto the floor of the chamber.

LESTER HOLT VOICE OVER: LATER THOSE REPORTS WOULD PROVE TO BE FALSE. THIS VIDEO CAPTURING BYRD INSTRUCTING MEMBERS OF CONGRESS TO DON GAS MASKS.

Byrd in cell phone video from January 6, 2021: “We’ve had a disbursement of tear gas in the rotunda. Please be advised there are masks under your seat”

LESTER HOLT VOICE OVER: HE SAYS OFFICERS BARRICADED THE DOOR. WHAT HE CONSIDERED THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE.

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: I had been yelling and screaming as loud as I was, “Please stop. Get back. Get back. Stop.” We had our weapons drawn.

LESTER HOLT VOICE OVER: BYRD,ONLY HIS HAND AND GUN VISIBLE, TARGETED A FIGURE TRYING TO CLIMB THROUGH A WINDOW.

HE FIRED A SINGLE FATAL SHOT HITTING ASHLI BABBIT. SHE WAS 35 YEARS OLD, AN AIR FORCE VETERAN, TRUMP SUPPORTER AND QANON FOLLOWER.

LESTER HOLT: We see your arm out there for a considerable amount of time. Were you wavering?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: I was again taking a tactical stance. You’re ultimately hoping your commands will be complied with and unfortunately they were not.

LESTER HOLT: When you fired, what could you see? Where were you aiming?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: You’re taught to aim for center mass. The subject was sideways and I couldn’t see her full motion of her hands or anything. So I guess her movement caused the discharge to fall where it did.

LESTER HOLT: And what did you think this individual was doing at that moment?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: She was posing a threat to the House of Representatives.

LESTER HOLT VOICE OVER: BUT AN ATTORNEY FOR ASHLI BABBITT’S FAMILY DISPUTES THAT. HE DID NOT RESPOND TO OUR REQUESTS FOR COMMENT BUT IN A PREVIOUS STATEMENT SAID BABBIT “WAS NOT BRANDISHING A WEAPON,” NOT IN CLOSE PROXIMITY” TO MEMBERS OF CONGRESS, AND WAS “NOT AN IMMINENT THREAT OF DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY TO ANYONE.”

LESTER HOLT: Her family points out that she was not armed.

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: That’s correct.

LESTER HOLT: The fact that you weren’t aware whether she was armed or not, did that alter the decision making?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: It did not.

LESTER HOLT: What are we to make of the fact that there were other officers in potentially life threatening situations who didn’t use their service weapons that day?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: I’m sure it was a terrifying situation. And I can only control my reaction, my training, my expertise. That would be upon them to speak for themselves.

LESTER HOLT: Former President Trump has talked about you and this incident. He says she was murdered. What does it feel like to hear that from a former president?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: Well it’s disheartening. If he was in the room or anywhere and I’m responsible for him, I was prepared to do the same thing for him and his family.

LESTER HOLT: Would you have his back today if you were so assigned?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: I sure would because it’s my job.

LESTER HOLT: As I said, your name has been on the internet for some time in an unofficial way. Lotta rumors, lotta accusations, one of which is that you had some sort of political motive. You were a political —

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: No.

LESTER HOLT: — operative.

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: I do my job for Republican, for Democrat, for white, for Black, red, blue, green.

LESTER HOLT: A few years ago, you were investigated for leaving your service weapon in a bathroom. And that’s been brought up by those who are questioning your competency. You want to respond to that?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: Sure. It was a terrible mistake. I acknowledged it. I owned up to it. I accepted the responsibility. I was penalized for it. And I moved on.

LESTER HOLT VOICE OVER : MULTIPLE INVESTIGATIONS HAVE NOW UPHELD BRYD’S ACTIONS ON JANUARY 6TH.

LESTER HOLT: Capitol Police in their press release after exonerating you said your actions potentially saved members and staff from serious injury and possible death. What was it like to hear those words, to see those words?

LIEUTENANT MICHAEL BYRD: Those words meant a lot because that’s exactly what I did on that day. That was my mission. That was what I prepared for. And it’s rewarding and refreshing to hear that.

Reuters and NBC News contributed to this report. Updated at 4:49 p.m. Aug. 26, 2021

Last edited:

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
Interesting. There is no question there's a double standard with politics involved. Always has been. Always will be. Just read the end of the DOJ's release above with Babbit's info hidden and insert any other cop shooting names/details. In this case, the DOJ totally relied on whether they thought the cop "willfully" killed the deceased and dropped the case. In any other situation in America, the cop would be, at a minimum, going to trial:

charge doc.png

bga1

Reaction score
LESTER HOLT VOICE OVER : MULTIPLE INVESTIGATIONS HAVE NOW UPHELD BRYD’S ACTIONS ON JANUARY 6TH.

Reuters and NBC News contributed to this report.
Updated at 4:49 p.m. Aug. 26, 2021
Boyd was never questioned by Federal Investigators.

Go4Broke

Reaction score
The only "politics" happening here are by right-wing extremists who have a long history in America of excusing cops killing unarmed people with no evidence other than the cops reciting the following mantra - "I was in fear for my life".

Police can use deadly force if they merely perceive a threat

Wally

Reaction score
The only "politics" happening here are by right-wing extremists who have a long history in America of excusing cops killing unarmed people with no evidence other than the cops reciting the following mantra - "I was in fear for my life".

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds...

Some guy

Reaction score
Kim potter shouldn’t have said she tried to use her taser. If she had tried to use her gun to save her partners life, she probably gets off. The fact she said she tried to tase implies to a jury that she didn’t think she should use her gun: then she did. Whoops

Might have turned out the same way in a court room but she would’ve had a better shot of getting off

Wally

Reaction score
Kim potter shouldn’t have said she tried to use her taser. If she had tried to use her gun to save her partners life, she probably gets off. The fact she said she tried to tase implies to a jury that she didn’t think she should use her gun: then she did. Whoops

Might have turned out the same way in a court room but she would’ve had a better shot of getting off

Probably right.
But in the video she is yelling taser to warn the other cops they will get shocked if they are touching him, so that wasn't an option.

I do think the charge was to severe.

Wally

Reaction score
Babbitt was a violent criminal...good riddance.
Did I do that right guys?
Or is it only allowed if she had the correct pigment?

Ashli Babbitt repeatedly rammed her SUV into the car of her future husband's girlfriend, report says

Some guy

Reaction score
Probably right.
But in the video she is yelling taser to warn the other cops they will get shocked if they are touching him, so that wasn't an option.

I do think the charge was to severe.
To me, it seemed like cut and dry second degree manslaughter

she should’ve plead guilty to that and had minimal if any prison time

howeda7

Reaction score
Babbitt was a violent criminal...good riddance.
Did I do that right guys?
Or is it only allowed if she had the correct pigment?

Ashli Babbitt repeatedly rammed her SUV into the car of her future husband's girlfriend, report says
Sounds like the "she was no angel" excuse applies here....

Wally

Reaction score
To me, it seemed like cut and dry second degree manslaughter

she should’ve plead guilty to that and had minimal if any prison time

I believe they had the chance to but her lawyer rejected it, then Ellison took over the case and that option was removed.

FormerFatOL

Reaction score

Police can use deadly force if they merely perceive a threat

It sounds like you never believe the cop in a shooting. So, then, state your position. Do you believe Michael Byrd should have faced any charges? And why?

Spoofin

Reaction score
I think the juries have done a good job in the recent high profile shooting trials discussed on here. Am I allowed not to be outraged about any of the verdicts?

Top Bottom