Just my opinion

Rog

Reaction score
There are rumors that we may have to replace some of our coaches again. If so ---

Brewsters contacts seem to be in the pro area. A lesser coach there being promoted up, here.

For what it is worth - Take the Offensive Coord. Why not get a good experienced OC from the college ranks, MAC or lesser conference.

I seems to me that a experienced college coach might be better than a pro coach with no college coaching experience.

He doesn't seem to have many contacts and that's a problem. Some of the staff are inexperienced former players GA's from Texas, there aren't enough "coaches" or player developers on staff. I've heard from inside people that the best position coach we may have had we Eric Decker. (I know the WR performance didn't show, but Hightower had to reference Eric for help.)

You are right

He doesn't seem to have many contacts and that's a problem. Some of the staff are inexperienced former players GA's from Texas, there aren't enough "coaches" or player developers on staff. I've heard from inside people that the best position coach we may have had we Eric Decker. (I know the WR performance didn't show, but Hightower had to reference Eric for help.)

Pro coaches get the best from college who don't need the same type of coaching or teaching. The players already know the basic's of tackling, blocking, etc.

A college coach gets kids right out of High School and need a different type of coaching.

I think Fisch found this out. The players he had were not ready to do the things he wanted. His statements of recent implied that when he stated that next year his offence would be much improved.

Rog: "I think Fisch found this out. The players he had were not ready to do the things he wanted. His statements of recent implied that when he stated that next year his offence would be much improved"

If that's the case, Brewster hasn't learned much in three years. Withers D looked like a fish out of water until he dumbed it down. Brewster should have set the parameters and said this is what we have here Jedd. Make it fit. Coaching is where you develop your playbook and schemes around the available talent not forcing the talent to manage the playbook. Remember when Mason had Sauter (??) running the option???

What I see is Fisch trying to outsmart the other guy rather than building a basic offense & identity and working from there.

K.I.S.S. will still work as long as it is executed.

Rog: "I think Fisch found this out. The players he had were not ready to do the things he wanted. His statements of recent implied that when he stated that next year his offence would be much improved"

If that's the case, Brewster hasn't learned much in three years. Withers D looked like a fish out of water until he dumbed it down. Brewster should have set the parameters and said this is what we have here Jedd. Make it fit. Coaching is where you develop your playbook and schemes around the available talent not forcing the talent to manage the playbook. Remember when Mason had Sauter (??) running the option???

What I see is Fisch trying to outsmart the other guy rather than building a basic offense & identity and working from there.

K.I.S.S. will still work as long as it is executed.

A lot that premise is that the basic plays can be executed. Running a simple off tackle was a overly complicated task for us. IMO, our offensive coordinator knows the people on the other side of the ball isn't dumb. If he kept it as stupid err simple as just the gray/whaley type plays then we wouldn't be sitting here at 6 wins, and recall the absolute demand for those players all year.

Sure he has some refinement to do, and we'll see more of that this year. All in all what you tended to see was the majority of good play calling in the right situations, with lack of execution. That should look better next year and even better the year after, assuming the KFAN kiddies don't get the boosters to pull some strings.

I think Fisch found this out. The players he had were not ready to do the things he wanted. His statements of recent implied that when he stated that next year his offence would be much improved.

Hopefully he means it will be improved at Minnesota, not Seattle. :)

Hopefully he means it will be improved at Minnesota, not Seattle. :)

If Fisch truly thinks he will be a good offensive coordinator, then he should stay at Minnesota where, if he's any good, there's no where to go but up. If he takes the rumored Seattle QB Coach job, he may never sniff an O Coordinator position again.

If Fisch truly thinks he will be a good offensive coordinator, then he should stay at Minnesota where, if he's any good, there's no where to go but up. If he takes the rumored Seattle QB Coach job, he may never sniff an O Coordinator position again.

Oh I don't know about that. It may take a while, but people really believe this guy has a lot of potential. I think Brew's logic in hiring him was to get him while he's on the uptick. If the offense lays an egg next year as bad as it did this year it's all over anyway. Why not take the risk on someone people see potential in rather than bringing in a retread who might get you one more win now, but then turn around and leave for somewhere 'better' ala last year's dc whose name I've already forgotten. Let say Fisch stays, and the offense has a banner year and he leaves. This becomes a more attractive place for a replacement. Brew might get his "kill shot" coordinator then. Also, it looks like Davis is staying according to the internet. At least he's not going to USC.

Oh I don't know about that. It may take a while, but people really believe this guy has a lot of potential. I think Brew's logic in hiring him was to get him while he's on the uptick. If the offense lays an egg next year as bad as it did this year it's all over anyway. Why not take the risk on someone people see potential in rather than bringing in a retread who might get you one more win now, but then turn around and leave for somewhere 'better' ala last year's dc whose name I've already forgotten. Let say Fisch stays, and the offense has a banner year and he leaves. This becomes a more attractive place for a replacement. Brew might get his "kill shot" coordinator then. Also, it looks like Davis is staying according to the internet. At least he's not going to USC.

True enough. I used a little hyperbole, but it's happened many times where someone makes the wrong choice and either cuts their career short, or lengthens the time it takes to reach their goal.

Top Bottom