Just Got Home, Madtown Could Be Best USA College Town

my guess is that you may have visited 5 campuses in your life. some in AK, MN and UW. Please attach your name so I my never ever hire you as an analyst. have you been to Auburn..how about any SEC campuses.

Doll where are you to tear this thread a new http:

"You just rattled off examples of schools where it doesn't work. Regardless of their varying levels of success on the field, Miami, Northwestern, Pitt and Georgia Tech have awful fan bases, as their attendance in non-winning seasons shows. UCLA (and USC) benefit from being in the second-largest city on the nation, and having no professional football. Washington is the example you were looking for."

I think you missed my point. I was using those as negative support. It is tough to have good fan support in large cities. I named those schools as examples of decent to good programs that get no support regardless of record. You are right though UW is a great example of a decent program in a large city that gets good fan support. Certainly something to aspire to. USC is another obvious exception but I left them off because they are USC and comparing any program to them is a quick way to madness.

I was talking about the lake shore dorms and Bascom hill down past observatory drive area. That is a really scenic part of Wis campus that most non-students never see. I guess there are some grass areas down below the west bank, but that is hardly the sense one gets walking through there and its not like there aren't big empty fields by the lakes at UW. It is hard to beat the Mississippi bluffs though that is a great touch at the U. I'm not trying to say one is better then the other, simply refuting the idea that there aren't scenic areas around UW.

I was talking about the lake shore dorms and Bascom hill down past observatory drive area. That is a really scenic part of Wis campus that most non-students never see. I guess there are some grass areas down below the west bank, but that is hardly the sense one gets walking through there and its not like there aren't big empty fields by the lakes at UW. It is hard to beat the Mississippi bluffs though that is a great touch at the U. I'm not trying to say one is better then the other, simply refuting the idea that there aren't scenic areas around UW.

Not to take anything away from the urban scene of Madison, the cool view of the capitol building, and the better areas by the lake (IMO) up where the frats are (on the hill with a better view, close to campus still). I share Jike's view of Madison. Most of the buildings are terrible in architecture (lots of concrete or VERY bland 1960s brick), very few patches of grass or trees in campus, and drops off to a scuzhole south of campus pretty quickly. I 100% agree that UMN is part of an urban environment (walkable to downtown, buses, soon LRT) yet feels much more removed. While some areas such as West Bank can feel pretty concrete-y and you're more aware there's a city right there, when I'm on the East Bank (or St Paul), I can be sitting on plenty of grassy areas and not hear a car or even see the city save for peeking through some trees on the river bluffs. I can go for a run along East River Road/Flats and enjoy the scenery and quietness. In Madison, every block of classes feels like a city block, where crossing the street to get to your next class seems like a pain (University and Johnson cut through the thiick of campus whereas University and Washington surround UMN). Bascom Hill may have some classes, but as I gathered being there on many school days (and tours), the majority of classes are not in that area. It being a hill also limits its use as a general student hang-out area (frisbee, football, etc).

Lotta great things about UW-Madison. Lot's of reasons I didn't go there, either. To people who think UW is any better for partying, more progressive, or anything else.. Well I guess I don't know how one campus could be noticeably more progressive than another. Never noticed the U lacking in liberals, hippies, people expressing themselves, or anything else. I also disagree that it's any better of a 'party atmosphere' on any given college weekend. I never, EVER had a problem finding parties or fun crap going down when walking through Dinkytown, Stadium Village, Como Ave, or even West Bank. I enjoyed the different vibes you got at the different areas surrounding campus. West Bank bars felt half-university, half regular young people partying. Let's not forget the ability (as many have mentioned) for students to attend Twins games with ease (and cheap when at the Dome), hop down University to any bars there, go to Uptown for a plethora of other options, Nordeast and beyond. The immediate radius surrounding East Bank has fewer options than Madison does between State Street and near the stadium, but the rest of the options within a very quick cab ride make Mpls/StP a better overall scene. As others have said, the U cannot become a college "town" but must rely on building as good an atmosphere on campus as they can and then highlight the many benefits outside its proximity.

I would agree wholeheartedly that the architecture sucks on most of the UW campus. Way too many 1960's style concrete blocks. University/Johnson is only half the campus though, thats what non-natives/students seldom get to see. There are a TON of buildings behind those that are removed from the city and feel exactly like Pillsbury and many UW students have all their classes back there. Next time you are there go to the memorial union docks and walk west along the paths and see if you don't get a very different feel.

I do agree that the U feels more removed and is closer to what I picture a campus should be, and personally I like it much better. But there is a large part of UW that is removed as well and is not pure concrete. Thats all I'm trying to say.

I would agree wholeheartedly that the architecture sucks on most of the UW campus. Way too many 1960's style concrete blocks. University/Johnson is only half the campus though, thats what non-natives/students seldom get to see. There are a TON of buildings behind those that are removed from the city and feel exactly like Pillsbury and many UW students have all their classes back there. Next time you are there go to the memorial union docks and walk west along the paths and see if you don't get a very different feel.

I do agree that the U feels more removed and is closer to what I picture a campus should be, and personally I like it much better. But there is a large part of UW that is removed as well and is not pure concrete. Thats all I'm trying to say.

You seem to be confirming what I said. Most of the UW campus where major classes are held is in the area by Johnson/University, some on Bascom Hill, and a few smaller buildings to the west of the student union. I never said UW was entirely ugly or had no places of quietness, just that it is not as integrated in to campus as the U (which you seem to agree with). Obviously UW has some great spots. I stayed at the lake memorial union when I toured there (2 nights, as well as another time at the other union for a hockey game). It was summer and very nice with the live music on the pavilion, and I went west for a walk and did see what you're talking about (the woods and then open lawns up against the lake, very nice). I would compare that area to the superblock/Coffman at the U with easy access to the river flats/trails/etc. West Bank reminds me of much of UW campus, and even that has access to both West River Flats and Mill Ruins and Gold Medal Park area via a quick walk. Again, lots of great things about Madison if you're a college kid. Bars are many and located close to campus (via Johnson, State, and Regent). Great house parties, too. I just don't see that much of a difference in your general 'party atmosphere' at UW vs UMN and the campus at MN is more to my liking (not in hindsight, it's one of the 2 reasons I chose MN, the other being a better Mech Eng program).

Yup, no place for peace and quiet on UW campus.

Yeah because that peninsula that's 1.5 miles from the nearest dorm has a bunch of campus buildings on it to allow students to relax on big, open, shaded areas between classes, right?

As for the south of campus area, I was referring to heading south on Park St about 0.5 miles (the way I usually come in to town). It looks like the really dumpy areas of University Ave about 2+ miles east of campus (which, by the way, is rapidly changing due to the LRT being put in). I'd also say that most of Washington Ave coming in to town (from 90/94) is really depressed and only gets nice close to the capitol.

As the person who that rant was aimed at, I must say this thread become something that I didn't foresee. I didn't say Madison was the best, I simply stated in my humble opinion that it could be. It was amazing and I didn't think I would rile up the insecurities of a few Gopherholers.

The metro area is what we thought it was... a pro sports town. It is easy to see that it is only going to get worse as you do anecdotal observations on the average age of the fans in the seats, especially in Williams Arena. The disconnect between the 30-50 year old base is where I especially see the pro sports mentality. You can hypothesize as to whether than is related to when the U was really a commuter campus or not. It is okay with me. I personally enjoy college sports more than pro sports and benefit from having easy, cheap access to Big Ten sports because of the demand. If the U was a powerhouse in the Big Ten, that wouldn't be the case. I wish the Gophers would make a Rose Bowl appearance and a Final Four that actually is acknowledged, but am grateful to live in a Big Ten environment. Even if it isn't as successful as Madison.

Supadupa has taken upon himself to rip on anyone that writes about Wisc. I guess? Doesn't matter if it has anything to do with the Gopher's or not. Strange.

Madison is not a "city". Minneapolis is a CITY! Madison is a hamlet, much like the one the Pied Piper drove the rats out of. When I think of Madison I think of the movie "Willard" and the song
"Ben"! by Michael Jackson. Now, will this post drive this clown back to Beckyville?
Let's move forward to Purdue

If you actually knew anything about how retailers select locations you would feel really stupid.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2012/01/28/article/location_is_key_for_trader_joe_s

I'm laughing at you because you're making this argument in the first place.

If you had a grasp on reality and saw that you were bragging about Trader Joe's locations in Madison on a Gopher message board, you would feel really stupid. Or not because you're enough of a derelict to be here in the first place.

Yes, I should have known this space is reserved for derelicts. No intelligent person would spend time on Gopher football.

It would be refreshing to read a thread on this board that isn't loaded with puerile ad hominem attacks on other posters. A little maturity here would be welcomed.

Top Bottom