Just Bobby Petrino being Bobby Petrino

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
And now we have the recruitment of Matt Colburn.

Colburn is a running back at Dutch Fork High School in South Carolina. Eight months ago, Colburn committed to play for Petrino at Louisville. (Petrino is in his second stint as Louisville’s head coach; you can be forgiven if you’re having trouble keeping up with all the twists and turns in Petrino’s career path.) Colburn is considered a three-star prospect: A very good football player, although not the kind of elite talent who has scholarship offers from all the top football schools across the country. At the time that Colburn committed, Louisville seemed like a good fit for him.

Linky

I don't understand why anyone would want to go there and play for that d bag

Scum. Just pure scum. He makes me sick.

I don't understand why anyone would want to go there and play for that d bag

Agreed. Not surprising he didn't have the guts to call the kid himself considering he didn't have the guts to talk to his players when he left the Falcons. Just ran away in the middle of the night when he took the Arkansas job.

Agreed. Not surprising he didn't have the guts to call the kid himself considering he didn't have the guts to talk to his players when he left the Falcons. Just ran away in the middle of the night when he took the Arkansas job.

He was pretty much in Arkansas doing the "Woo, Pig, Sooie" chant as his Falcons players were finding out he left. Such a puke.

I assume you guys all think players who back out of a commitment are also sleazebags

I assume you guys all think players who back out of a commitment are also sleazebags

First of all, it isn't even close to the same thing. Coaches/teams continue to recruit even after they get commits (many times they have backups). This kid stopped his recruiting all together and the coaches probably knew that.

Secondly, I bet there are very few head coaches who wouldn't have called the kid themselves. It's one thing to back out of the scholarship offer at the last second. It's another to ask someone else to do your dirty work because you're such a coward.

Either way, Petrino is a jerk no matter what you think of this. It's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his history.

First of all, it isn't even close to the same thing. Coaches/teams continue to recruit even after they get commits (many times they have backups). This kid stopped his recruiting all together and the coaches probably knew that.

Secondly, I bet there are very few head coaches who wouldn't have called the kid themselves. It's one thing to back out of the scholarship offer at the last second. It's another to ask someone else to do your dirty work because you're such a coward.

Either way, Petrino is a jerk no matter what you think of this. It's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his history.

Agree, just like when he left the Falcons - the players found a note in their lockers telling them that he had left. Pure class....

Does anyone here not think Colburn is blessed by not having to play for that man? I would hope his first move would be to call the other ACC schools, then check the NC teams on Louisville's schedule. But wherever he ends up, he needs to use this scorn to motivate himself to be a beast.

Was Billy's quote related to this?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Feel bad for the kid, but if you crawl into bed with a skank, you can't be shocked when you end up with The Clap.

Was Billy's quote related to this?

Could be. Apparently Jay Sawvel warned a 2015 recruit about Petrino and told him his offer would eventually be pulled, and that's exactly what happened. The recruit (OL Troy Thingstad) then wanted to visit Minnesota but we were full at OL. He ended up at South Alabama. You can see on his timeline he was once a Louisville commit.

http://247sports.com/Player/Troy-Thingstad-56649

I'm not saying the guy is pure class but you could ask yourself if Jay Sawvel had met with a 3* recruit numerous times and Jerry Kill met with him once to give him an offer and then a 5* stud came and wanted to come here (not that stars are the end-all, be-all; but using it to demonstrate the point):

1. Would you want Coach Kill to take a 3* recruit with some upside but limited potential who had committed early over a 5* recruit who looked like he was a sure thing NFL stud?

2. Would it be more appropriate for Sawvel who had actively recruited the kid or Kill who had met him once to call and let the 3* know he no longer had an offer.

I understand the thoughts on both sides and I'm not sure there's a right answer. One major difference is if it occurs once or consistently and if it occurs what you do to help the kid (blue shirt, gray shirt, talk to another coach you know to find a spot for him, etc.).

There is only one right answer on what to do about the 3 star player you have offered, if he accepted. If you can bring in the 5 star guy, too, better yet.

We get his side of the story, if he ended up at south Alabama what is the real story?

As much as petrino has a bad reputation, how do we know academics wasn't the reason.

Kill recently backed off a committed recruit due to academics. People are quick to judge.

We get his side of the story, if he ended up at south Alabama what is the real story?

As much as petrino has a bad reputation, how do we know academics wasn't the reason.

Kill recently backed off a committed recruit due to academics. People are quick to judge.

Stop defending that sleezeball.

I'm not saying the guy is pure class but you could ask yourself if Jay Sawvel had met with a 3* recruit numerous times and Jerry Kill met with him once to give him an offer and then a 5* stud came and wanted to come here (not that stars are the end-all, be-all; but using it to demonstrate the point):

1. Would you want Coach Kill to take a 3* recruit with some upside but limited potential who had committed early over a 5* recruit who looked like he was a sure thing NFL stud?

2. Would it be more appropriate for Sawvel who had actively recruited the kid or Kill who had met him once to call and let the 3* know he no longer had an offer.

I understand the thoughts on both sides and I'm not sure there's a right answer. One major difference is if it occurs once or consistently and if it occurs what you do to help the kid (blue shirt, gray shirt, talk to another coach you know to find a spot for him, etc.).

#1 every time. It's the coaching staff's job to manage their scholarship offers. If they don't have room for a 5* late commitment then they screwed up their roster management and should live with it.

Of course, I'm also of the opinion that if someone commits and later backs off, it's time to move on and withdraw his offer.

It's pretty simple. Petrino has a track record of being a sleezeball. Kill doesn't. It's much easier to give Kill the benefit of the doubt over Petrino.

The right is you do what's best for the program. After all kill and co are in the business of winning. However there's a right way to do everything. Petrino should've sacked up and the called the kid himself and I guarantee he knew long ago. He should've cut this kid loose while he could've received decent offers

It's pretty simple. Petrino has a track record of being a sleezeball. Kill doesn't. It's much easier to give Kill the benefit of the doubt over Petrino.

Depends on who you talk to.
Definitely think petrino has a bad reputation. I've heard stories about kill as well. Those stories involved gopher players and employees, not recruits.

Don't know which stories to beleive but I've heard bad stories from student managers as well as former players. Don't take rumor for fact is my message I guess.

I better clarify my comment before I get jumped on. The purpose is, there are people who tell bad stories about every coach, including kill.

Without knowing the full story you shouldn't be so quick to judge and name call.
If I had a son I would tell him to stay clear of petrino. I would be pretty neutral on kill.

I better clarify my comment before I get jumped on. The purpose is, there are people who tell bad stories about every coach, including kill.

Without knowing the full story you shouldn't be so quick to judge and name call.
If I had a son I would tell him to stay clear of petrino. I would be pretty neutral on kill.

Fair enough. My point is we know for a fact Petrino has done some pretty bad and cowardly things. Kill, for the most part, has a good reputation so it is easier to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Of course, Petrino truly is a pig. That's been well known for a long time.

Unfortunately, he's just one of many similar pigs who stroll up and down college sidelines on Saturdays in the Fall.

I know who can clear this up, AJ's mom's BFF.

Top Bottom