Just a thought on why an OC

calminnfan

Reaction score
is taking longer then the DC, maybe Brew is still working on the one he wants? I mean, if it is Heupel for instance, maybe Brew is not taking NO as an answer quite so easily?

yes

Maybe he is still working several guys. I don't think it will be Heupel but he may be working on a few guys that may have said no or weren't for sure interested but needed to hear more, etc.

I guess we have no idea until we actually know who it is.

The more I read about Horton, the more he interests me. With his offensive production at Nevada and UNLV, as well as learing under Linnehan is pretty impressive. He was also as impressive as you can be at Wisconsin with a team that was not QB-U but got maximum productino from his guys none the less.

It sounds like Nevada threw the ball all over the lot and led the Nation in offense when he was the head coach.

UNLV did well in year one, until they moved into the WAC his second year and were outclassed by better talent with the other teams in the league yet offense was good, it was the defense that wasn't so great.

Not a high profile hire but might be a very good one, none the less.

is taking longer then the DC, maybe Brew is still working on the one he wants? I mean, if it is Heupel for instance, maybe Brew is not taking NO as an answer quite so easily?

Maybe a few reasons OC is taking longer. First, Brewster needed a new DC last year; he went through this "process" fairly recently and probably knew who he wanted right away. Even if he had a few guys in mind for OC, he probably hadn't spoken to them about it (as he might have already done with DC candidates last year) and that takes some time. Then, it sounds like a few guys turned down the OC job. That tends to lengthen the search.

Now that his top choices are gone -- people that he knows best -- maybe he has to go through more of a traditional interview process to find the best fit. Sounds like a good idea to me. People are anxious about how long this is taking, and I know it's important for recruting. But it's only been a week.

Good points, but the difficulty I am having is that both with Davis (OL) and with Cosgrove/Lee, he was quick if not downright immediate in the replacements. The case with Roof seems to suggest Brew was not quite that prepared for his departure, but like Hate Monikers mentioned, he had a recent search list ready to go.

For all practical purposes, lets just say Dunbar was forced out, yet Brew does not have the OC yet to replace him.

My suspicion is that Brew was targetting Heupel, and did not have plan B quite ready yet.

Really not trying to slam Brew, since I believe he does need to do his homework and get the right guy. I just think, given his nature with recruiting, he is approaching getting an OC the same way!

I think Brewster, like all good coaches, has a short list of candidates for every spot on his staff. When an opening comes up, they can move quickly.

I really think that Brewster's OC short list has been gone through and, for whatever reason, we did not get one of them to commit. (I think $$$ and willingness to share the role with Davis could be 2 rather large stumbling blocks for a rising star candidate)

I think we now have a more traditional search going on and I really hope Brewster takes his time. We need a good hire, not a quick hire.

Does anyone know if Brewster was at the AFCA convention in Nashville talking to candidates? I know that is traditionally like a giant job fair for coaches.

What puzzles me is Tim did not go to the AFCA convention in Nashville. (A prime spot to interview coaching candidates.) He must have thought we would have had a hire before it ends, which is today.

Another scenario is maybe he's waiting for the convention to end, hoping Dunbar gets another job and we have more salary to offer. I got to admit, if I'm Dunbar I don't think I'd be looking to hard to get a job unless I got a raise. He's going to get a nice chunk of change to do nothing this year.

What puzzles me is Tim did not go to the AFCA convention in Nashville. (A prime spot to interview coaching candidates.) He must have thought we would have had a hire before it ends, which is today.

Another scenario is maybe he's waiting for the convention to end, hoping Dunbar gets another job and we have more salary to offer. I got to admit, if I'm Dunbar I don't think I'd be looking to hard to get a job unless I got a raise. He's going to get a nice chunk of change to do nothing this year.

I agree, Dunbar can definitely afford to be choosy and wait for the right opportunity if it is not available this year.

Does anyone know if Brewster was at the AFCA convention in Nashville talking to candidates? I know that is traditionally like a giant job fair for coaches.

It would seem like that would be a place to look for coaches if you have no clue who you want, I'm sure he has a list, and is going down it. Probably wouldn't make sense to show up there when you know what you want. You mention its like a giant job fair for coaches, lets hope the U doesn't have to go to a giant job fair to advertise their OC opening to get candidates.

Brew probably did not want to take a break from recruiting!

It would seem like that would be a place to look for coaches if you have no clue who you want, I'm sure he has a list, and is going down it. Probably wouldn't make sense to show up there when you know what you want. You mention its like a giant job fair for coaches, lets hope the U doesn't have to go to a giant job fair to advertise their OC opening to get candidates.

They also have seminars and discussions on X and O's led by prominent coaches at all divisions and it is just a big networking meeting where coaches from all over the country can get together and a lot of relationships and jobs come out of it. If a coach has an opening and is interested in your background they may meet for dinner or drinks.

Top Bottom