Judd Zulgad column wonders if Kill will be around long enough to clean up this mess

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"Whether it was the damage inflicted during the three-plus year tenure of Tim Brewster, the current coaching job by Jerry Kill or a combination of factors - take the latter -- the bottom line is the Gophers program has regressed to the point where one has to wonder when it will be able to become even halfway respectable again.

Kill has made it clear this is going to be a multi-year process and it's hard to argue with him. The only question is if he's going to be kept around long enough by the university to complete it or if a third person is going to have to clean up this mess."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._Gophers_fans_are_left_with_little_hope102211

Go Gophers!!

Kill will be given more rope then Brewster. He isn't a snake oil salesman. He's no sure thing however and 3 one win seasons could seal his fate. We best be hitting 6 wins no later than year 4 if he wants an extension. We look a long way from competing, but then again Clemson is undefeated with several true freshman playing huge roles...

Wow...Zulgad is already wondering who the next guy is going to be.

This is so stupid. Seriously. Look at the schedule next year. It is set up to go 6-6. There is not a non-conference game they
should lose, I know Syracuse just housed West Virginia, but we should beat them at home. That leaves 2 BT games and I for
one expect a TON of improvement in year 2 of the Kill era. Writing articles like this are stupid and just plain lazy. We are all
surprised at how bad they are right now. We all expected them to be better. I am to the point where I hope to see a "clean"
game where we do not shoot ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties and turnovers and see how we compete.

This is so stupid. Seriously. Look at the schedule next year. It is set up to go 6-6. There is not a non-conference game they
should lose, I know Syracuse just housed West Virginia, but we should beat them at home. That leaves 2 BT games and I for
one expect a TON of improvement in year 2 of the Kill era. Writing articles like this are stupid and just plain lazy. We are all
surprised at how bad they are right now. We all expected them to be better. I am to the point where I hope to see a "clean"
game where we do not shoot ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties and turnovers and see how we compete.

All the news rags went to seed with the internet era. Sports writer's get caught in the instant gratification world. Nobody has patience anymore. I still think if Kill does not lose players to de-commitments that we'll see drastic improvements in year four. I am going long with him. It will be a tough road. The caliber of the teams in the B1G except for Indiana & Minny has improved. This team today is in a shambles with mostly freshmen & seniors most of whom are inexperienced or a forced into action sooner than they are ready. I agree that next year we will start to see a vastly improved play from the Gophers.

Kill will be given more rope then Brewster. He isn't a snake oil salesman. He's no sure thing however and 3 one win seasons could seal his fate. We best be hitting 6 wins no later than year 4 if he wants an extension. We look a long way from competing, but then again Clemson is undefeated with several true freshman playing huge roles...

So Kill should get more rope than Brewster because... you like him better personally? Brewster got us to 7 wins in year two and likely more if Decker doesn't get hurt. I expect Jerry Kill to show similar improvement in his second year. His first year to this point is much, much worse than Brewster's. If Brewster came in and said he inherited little talent (which would have been accurate) and said he needed 4 years, would he still be coaching here? I would say yes because years 2 and 3 would have bought him a cushion. I think most of us agree that it was time for Brewster to go, but you can see how the power of words make a huge difference.

So Kill should get more rope than Brewster because... you like him better personally? Brewster got us to 7 wins in year two and likely more if Decker doesn't get hurt. I expect Jerry Kill to show similar improvement in his second year. His first year to this point is much, much worse than Brewster's. If Brewster came in and said he inherited little talent (which would have been accurate) and said he needed 4 years, would he still be coaching here? I would say yes because years 2 and 3 would have bought him a cushion. I think most of us agree that it was time for Brewster to go, but you can see how the power of words make a huge difference.
He also had 8 (I think) of his first recruiting class be stud JuCo guys, that left after 2 years and had no talent behind them.

Maturi said he was going to hire a head football coach. He hired a head football coach with experience of turning programs around.

If they finish 1-11 this year, and then have only 1-2 wins next year. And they look terrible doing it, I would think whoever the new AD would have to seriously contemplate making a change.

We aren't there yet. I still think we might win a big ten game.
If gray progresses and the line improved we could win 5-6 games next year.

Kill will be given more rope then Brewster. He isn't a snake oil salesman. He's no sure thing however and 3 one win seasons could seal his fate.

Why must people continue to take personal shots at Brewster? He isn't the lying scumbag of human being that some think he is, coming here with the intention of driving the program into the ground. He tried his hardest, put his heart into it, and cared about his players, it didn't work.

And yes, I would really hope Kill has more than 3 total wins with the Gophers by the end of the 2013 season. In fact I would hope we get at least 3 wins next season alone.

It's an attempt to create a perception that Kill is on the hot seat, but his seat isn't even warm.

I think it is stupid to even speculate at this point, no one, and I mean no one will have any idea until about year three where the program is at. I think looking for the small things, minor points of improvement is all anyone is going to be able to do for the time being.

Next years schedule is very favorable for 4-6 wins even if we are still struggling like this year. If we go 3-1 in NC, we have NW and PU at home with NW coming after the bye week. We should at worst start next season 4-3 in our first seven. At best we are bowl eligible after 7 games.

Grant it has been a while since we've been successful, but the writers have to give Kill more time to turn this program around. Its quite obvious that they aren't aware of the facts that currently surround the program. Writers come off very impulsive without putting much thought in what they are really saying.

The writers in this town are the worst of any market in the B10 regarding college sports. No discussion.

College coaches take a LOT longer to get their programs built than the pros do, and that's what the hacks in this town don't realize. College coaches don't have a front office and an owner willing to open up the checkbook. Hell, Jerry Kill will be here a lot longer than Leslie Frasier will be for that exact reason.

He also had 8 (I think) of his first recruiting class be stud JuCo guys, that left after 2 years and had no talent behind them.

Brew's 2008 class brought in 7 JuCo's and 22 FR.

Kill has brought in....Harris, Moulton, Rabe and already has Gillum, Fruechte (and tried to bring in a couple other JuCo's (Crawford and Osunde).

My point is that Kill and Brew will probably bring in a similar number of JuCo players. People like to say Brew took shortcuts and point to the JuCo's, well if that's a shortcut, it's one Kill is going to be making as well.

Furthermore, our addition of JuCo guys (in 2008 and now) really doesn't have much of an impact on our depth. 22 freshman is a pretty full class in 2008 and we will still bring in a lot of freshman now. Our classes are so empty (and were also so empty in 2008) that we could sign a decent amount of JuCo guys and still have full recruiting classes. It would have an impact on our depth if we tried to sign JuCo guys in lieu of HS players, but that's really not the case.

The writers in this town are the worst of any market in the B10 regarding college sports. No discussion.

College coaches take a LOT longer to get their programs built than the pros do, and that's what the hacks in this town don't realize. College coaches don't have a front office and an owner willing to open up the checkbook. Hell, Jerry Kill will be here a lot longer than Leslie Frasier will be for that exact reason.

The media market in this town is just not college sport savy. I'm not ripping on them for it, but I think since it's a pro sports town they tend to use similar standards.

For instance, I was listening to the Gopher show on KFAN on friday evening with Sludge and JG. I actually kind of like the show despite it being hosted by a Hawkeyes fan (only our market would have a fan of our rival host the show). I actually think he tries to hide his bias and I don't mind JG and I like Sludge. However, Sludge was saying he was a student at the U from 1998 - 2003 and he didn't follow the football team because there was nothing to follow.

1999 we were a top 20 team, beat the #1 team in the country. By most school's standard, that season would be a win. It would definitely be something to follow.

2002 we went 8-5
2003 we were a top 20 team in the country and won 10 games.

Those are good seasons for just about any school outside of the best of the best programs in the country. My point is that in college football, that standard, this town should have been abuzz.

Why must people continue to take personal shots at Brewster? He isn't the lying scumbag of human being that some think he is, coming here with the intention of driving the program into the ground. He tried his hardest, put his heart into it, and cared about his players, it didn't work.

And yes, I would really hope Kill has more than 3 total wins with the Gophers by the end of the 2013 season. In fact I would hope we get at least 3 wins next season alone.

This!

We're what, 7 games in to the Kill tenure and Zulgad is already planning on Kill being fired at some point in the near future. Don't understand the need to create this speculation that he better turn it around quick or he will be fired. It's far from the truth. It's like they all want to be able to say - "See, I told you he wouldn't last long! Way back on October 22, 2011!"

+1

Listening to the wrap on KFAN I found it interesting that earlier in the year Ray Hitchcock said this is a 5 year mission for Kill. Last night he said if there is no improvement in 3 years we need to move in another direction. So he has already wacked 2 years off Gill's grace period. Amazing....

Listening to the wrap on KFAN I found it interesting that earlier in the year Ray Hitchcock said this is a 5 year mission for Kill. Last night he said if there is no improvement in 3 years we need to move in another direction. So he has already wacked 2 years off Gill's grace period. Amazing....

Honestly, that is what happens when a team performs the way they have. This is one of the worst teams I have ever seen. They are not even competitive. It is very hard to watch a game when your team is down by 20 points ten minutes into the game every week. I really don't know who is at fault, but it is not an enjoyable product to watch and I don't know where the ray of hope is found.

There are two parts to the problem: short-term and long-term. You want to put things in place to have a successful long-term program but at the same time you need to have people buy tickets (and pony up for premium seating). While hardcore fans may be more patient, the Athletic Department may not have the financial luxury to wait for long.

There are two parts to the problem: short-term and long-term. You want to put things in place to have a successful long-term program but at the same time you need to have people buy tickets (and pony up for premium seating). While hardcore fans may be more patient, the Athletic Department may not have the financial luxury to wait for long.

But firing a coach two or three years into their tenure wouldn't help that either. Your statement would be valid if we were a Notre Dame or Miami who has a bunch of talent, but aren't getting it done for some reason. Giving up on Kill after 2 or 3 years would essentially mean we are starting over again.

Stan, couldn't agree more. Changing the coach does very little and many times just sets a program back further.
It stings like the dickens right now, but we have to calm down.

But firing a coach two or three years into their tenure wouldn't help that either. Your statement would be valid if we were a Notre Dame or Miami who has a bunch of talent, but aren't getting it done for some reason. Giving up on Kill after 2 or 3 years would essentially mean we are starting over again.
You missed the point. If, and that is an if, we continue to get blown out, there will not be much demand for tickets. This puts financial pressure on the U. This will be a problem, doesn't matter who we are. No one is advocating firing anyone.

Syracuse is a good look at a program that has turned things around after years in the cellar. Hired one of their own. He hired good coaches. The first year 4-8, which is much better than 1 and ????????? Then 8-4. Now they are 5-2.

It didn't take 3 or 4 years at Syracuse. It shouldn't here either. Why do we have to wait 4 years where elsewhere it has taken less. Well, it will take longer here because Jerry says it will. Well, bust my bubble! I guess in other cities where expectations are higher than the floor can and do get it done before 4 years.

2 years is a reasonable time frame. Syracuse is not an anomaly. They are the model. They didn't do it be saying the team was pathetic and slow. They didn't whine about the lack of talent. That is the speech pattern of a coach who never wanted to be here and is only going through the motions to get to success. I don't care if Jerry Kill is a different man in practice or not. I don't care if he tells the players to their face that he can coach them to success. The damage was done long ago and will not heal this year. Next year, his credibility as a sound coach will be lost to the veterans of this years campaign. He is poison to the program. For that alone, a new AD must be hired, a new coach hired, and an apology given to the team from the school administration, who let them down. Great coaches are great from the get go. It is evident in how their teams perform on the field. It does not take them 2 quarters to get going, or 3. They know how to get results within 2 series and their teams do not continuously get scored on first. I realize that has been a problem longer than this season. But, it is something that would be fixed right away. So, back to Syracuse, they went from one of the worst defenses to the 27th best in one year. ONE YEAR. Not 4 years. I want that to sink in. Digest that. Mull that over. This isn't the impossible dream.

Syracuse is a good look at a program that has turned things around after years in the cellar. Hired one of their own. He hired good coaches. The first year 4-8, which is much better than 1 and ????????? Then 8-4. Now they are 5-2.

It didn't take 3 or 4 years at Syracuse. It shouldn't here either. Why do we have to wait 4 years where elsewhere it has taken less. Well, it will take longer here because Jerry says it will. Well, bust my bubble! I guess in other cities where expectations are higher than the floor can and do get it done before 4 years.

2 years is a reasonable time frame. Syracuse is not an anomaly. They are the model. They didn't do it be saying the team was pathetic and slow. They didn't whine about the lack of talent. That is the speech pattern of a coach who never wanted to be here and is only going through the motions to get to success. I don't care if Jerry Kill is a different man in practice or not. I don't care if he tells the players to their face that he can coach them to success. The damage was done long ago and will not heal this year. Next year, his credibility as a sound coach will be lost to the veterans of this years campaign. He is poison to the program. For that alone, a new AD must be hired, a new coach hired, and an apology given to the team from the school administration, who let them down. Great coaches are great from the get go. It is evident in how their teams perform on the field. It does not take them 2 quarters to get going, or 3. They know how to get results within 2 series and their teams do not continuously get scored on first. I realize that has been a problem longer than this season. But, it is something that would be fixed right away. So, back to Syracuse, they went from one of the worst defenses to the 27th best in one year. ONE YEAR. Not 4 years. I want that to sink in. Digest that. Mull that over. This isn't the impossible dream.

You're actually comparing playing in the Big East to playing in the Big Ten by citing a win/loss record? Keep grasping for straws. Your material gets more and more entertaining every post. LOL.

#1 This post is complete Hogwash. Brew inherited much more talent than he claimed. If there was so little talent, how do you explain him playing a majority of mason's players in year 3, especially on the defensive side?

#2 Zulgad's column proves that he is a complete hack and deserved to no longer write for the Red Star. He is blinded by his years of covering the Vikes and has little credibility covering college football.

#3 We all need to calm down and let this season play out. I firmly believe we will be better next season. And as to OOG's rantings, I believe he said the 4-5 year time frame was to be competitive in the top tier of the B10, not just to get to 6yr mediocrity.

Brew's 2008 class brought in 7 JuCo's and 22 FR.

Kill has brought in....Harris, Moulton, Rabe and already has Gillum, Fruechte (and tried to bring in a couple other JuCo's (Crawford and Osunde).

My point is that Kill and Brew will probably bring in a similar number of JuCo players. People like to say Brew took shortcuts and point to the JuCo's, well if that's a shortcut, it's one Kill is going to be making as well.

Furthermore, our addition of JuCo guys (in 2008 and now) really doesn't have much of an impact on our depth. 22 freshman is a pretty full class in 2008 and we will still bring in a lot of freshman now. Our classes are so empty (and were also so empty in 2008) that we could sign a decent amount of JuCo guys and still have full recruiting classes. It would have an impact on our depth if we tried to sign JuCo guys in lieu of HS players, but that's really not the case.

Kill brought in JUCOs to balance out the classes. Brewster did it simply to win.

Top Bottom