Juco DT Merrick Jackson commits!

die hard gopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6-2, 310 from Iowa Western. Same JC as Poock and Rogers.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1930351/highlights/295924402' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Never having seen him play, it's tough to know if this is a good get or not. This staff has had success with Juco's and it is a positing where we need some size and depth. Glad to welcome you to the Twin Cities.

Sweet. JuCo DTs is just what we need.

He seems to be the biggest DT we have ever recruited under Claeys that I remember.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I like how he stays with the play until the end.

Need size upfront on the D and he brings that to the table.

Wow. Some good news! This dampens the blow of losing JoJo Garcia, and the rest of the de-commitments.

Congratulations Merrick!

His other offers were from Three Big Ten Schools plus Missouri.

The Program badly needs some influx of upper end DL line talent.

If only Amir Watts also commits....

Much needed depth and size

His other offers were from Three Big Ten Schools plus Missouri.

The Program badly needs some influx of upper end DL line talent.

I believe those were original offers. He was an Illinois commit

Went juco route

6-2, 310 from Iowa Western. Same JC as Poock and Rogers.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1930351/highlights/295924402' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

310 was his high school weight currently listed at 340lbs

Excellent backside pursuit. Even better, we're discussing that he only weighs 310.

As long as he proves he can play even just a little and be effective he will provide much needed depth at a really thin position for us. Hopefully they can find a JC DE to replace the one that decommitted because we badly need more depth on the DL so that we don't end up in the position we found ourselves in at the end of this season again.

per Greder:

The Gophers football team is seeking to round out its recruiting class with junior college players, and the first reward came Wednesday.

Three-star defensive tackle Merrick Jackson of Iowa Western Community College announced he would be a part of Minnesota's 2016 recruiting class.

Jackson, who is 6 feet 2 and 320 pounds, said his recruitment came down to Iowa State and Minnesota.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_29227057/gophers-land-iowa-western-dt-merrick-jackson

Go Gophers!!

Nice addition, the interior of their line really needs some size and depth.

Welcome Merrick! Juco players have been very important at many schools (K-State comes to mind) and Gopher fans are looking forward to seeing you in maroon and gold.

Welcome, Merrick! We're excited to have you, and to see all that you'll accomplish as a Gopher. Ski U Mah!

DT depth for next year:

Seniors: Ekpe & Timms
Juniors: Richardson, Stelter, and Jackson
Sophomores: Moore
Freshman: Hall

DT depth for next year:

Seniors: Ekpe & Timms
Juniors: Richardson, Stelter, and Jackson
Sophomores: Moore
Freshman: Hall

I am pretty excited about our DL depth for next season, this is why the Tralund Webber de-commit bothers me. It feels like we are a pass rusher away from having a pretty good defense.

I agree Welcome Merrick to the Gophers

Welcome Merrick! Juco players have been very important at many schools (K-State comes to mind) and Gopher fans are looking forward to seeing you in maroon and gold.

Glad he is a Gopher. Comes from the same school as Poock, hopefully that is an omen of good things to come.
Welcome to Minnesota, Mr. Jackson, and SKI-U-MAH!

Love his video. Great hustle. A huge boost for the D Line!

Top Bottom