Josh McCown's kid on Saturday?

swingman

Reaction score
CU Notes: Dorrell Says Buffs Need 'Spark' At QB

AIR FORCE ACADEMY — After a new Colorado starting quarterback produced the same old results for the Buffaloes in a 41-10 loss to Air Force on Saturday, head coach Karl Dorrell said the position competition is still wide open — and he hinted that the battle is not limited to two contenders.

J.T. Shrout took the starting reins for the first time as a Buff on Saturday, but struggled in the wet weather. Shrout played the entire game and finished just 5-for-21 for 51 yards and an interception off a tipped ball. Brendon Lewis, who had started the last 13 games for CU, did not play.

"My gut told me to keep (Shrout) in there because he hasn't played and needs work," Dorrell said of the QB who transferred to Colorado last year but missed the entire season with a knee injury. "He didn't play as well as he expected himself to play and he needs a lot of work. I think that was really the right thing, to keep grinding on him just so we can get a good evaluation of what we think he is. We'll get a chance to visit and watch on the tape and talk about what we do moving forward, but that was something that I felt strongly about."

Dorrell also said the competition "absolutely" remains open and that he and offensive coordinator Mike Sanford could also look at some of the younger QBs on the roster for a "spark."

After Shrout and Lewis, the Buffs' depth chart also includes sophomore Drew Carter, who had a handful of snaps last year, true freshman Owen McCown and freshman transfer Maddox Kopp. All had their moments in fall camp, with McCown — the son of 18-year NFL pro Josh McCown — turning heads on several different occasions with his command of the offense, arm strength (he is a left-hander) and football savvy.

"(Shrout) hasn't proven anything to think that he's the guy," Dorrell said. "We have to continue to develop that position. Maybe we need to look at some of these younger guys, too — younger than our younger guys. It is what it is, but it's a challenge right now and I think we need a spark."

They going to do tryouts on the sideline during the game?

Just imagine the chaos of taking a team that sucks on offense and replacing its offensive coordinator with a guy with a proven track record of wrecking QB production.

It’s like dealing with a kitchen fire and reaching for a fire extinguisher but accidentally grabbing a can of lighter fluid instead.

Sanford will be sure to work his "magic".

Top Bottom