Joseph Starting?

GVBadger

Reaction score
Paper this morning mentioned Joseph may start tonight, presumably it would be for Nolen.

Article was also pretty clear about the leadership that Johnson, Nolen and Westbrook needed to provide and whether they were getting it done.

Would you rather see Joseph start then Nolen?

Tubby's call. He will do what is best for the TEAM.

I hope Joseph starts. Hopefully he can jump-start the offense. It would also be great if Nolen got his mojo back against their second unit, we need him to play well the next two games if we want to get into the tournament.

Interesting...

Paper this morning mentioned Joseph may start tonight, presumably it would be for Nolen.

Article was also pretty clear about the leadership that Johnson, Nolen and Westbrook needed to provide and whether they were getting it done.

I assumed it meant Joseph instead of Westbrook.

I assumed it meant Joseph instead of Westbrook.

Kinda what I thought as well but I think Tubby would be pretty hard pressed to not start Westbrook after his 29 against Wisc last time.

Don't you think Wisconsin will be more prepared for Westbrook's mad dashes through the lane?

Don't you think Wisconsin will be more prepared for Westbrook's mad dashes through the lane?

I'm sure Wisconsin and Minnesota have scouted each other very well. Maybe we should start Payton instead as a surprise ?

Another option is a three-guard offense with the intention of pressing and trapping like crazy:

Nolen
Westbrook
Joseph
Johnson
Sampson

It leaves our backcourt pretty thin off the bench, but just don't do the hockey line change substitution and it mitigates that worry.

Go Gophers!!

THAT, dear blizzard, would really get the crowd involved...KP is indeed a crowd favorite.

Another option is a three-guard offense with the intention of pressing and trapping like crazy:

Nolen
Westbrook
Joseph
Johnson
Sampson

It leaves our backcourt pretty thin off the bench, but just don't do the hockey line change substitution and it mitigates that worry.

Go Gophers!!

This would be exciting, but I severely doubt we'll see this.

I think it's Joseph for Nolen, not Westbrook.

It almost has to be for Nolen, if the reports are true. I don't think that Tubby can start the game without a backup pg. It would require an awful lot of floor time for one of them if the other falters.

I'd assume it would be for Nolen. Reading between the lines lately, I get the impression the staff is really frustrated with Nolen. Many of the comments in the paper have come off that way, IMO.

It was in the first half of the first Northwestern game and Devoe Joseph had just made his third consecutive perimeter shot for a 9-point lead. For some bizarre reason, Tubby picked that exact moment to yank Devoe and get Al Nolen back on the floor, resulting in NU going on a big run (something like 20-3) that put them out of the game and maybe out of the tourney. This was the turning point of the season.

It would be only fitting Joseph replacing Nolen in the starting lineup would get the Gophers back on the right track.

It will be for Nolen if he does get the start. Westbrook has at least been ok since the halfway mark of the season. Nolen has been downright terrible.

THAT, dear blizzard, would really get the crowd involved...KP is indeed a crowd favorite.

He's definitely a favorite of mine... watching him sit on the end of the bench taking up a scholarship is great, i never think about if we hadn't recruited him :rolleyes:

Coach Esposito I believe said before the last home game Joseph was going to start, but he didn't. Might be mental games.

I sure hope that Paul Carter sees the court for 20+ minutes. Wisconsin is the nation's fifth best defensive rebounding team, so it would be nice if he could have another monster rebounding game to offset that.

I don't think it matters who starts. We should know by this point in the season that everybody is gong to get a chance to see action and Tubby is going to go with the hot hand.

Damian Johnson and Paul Carter create match up problems for Wisconsin and should see a lot of action. Iverson and Sampson don't create as much of a match up problem for Wisconsin and we'll probably see them combined for less total minutes than average.

Defensively Nolen is difficult for the Wisconsin guards which are not as steady with the ball as Wisconsin guards have been in the past. He should be out there for his defensive game.

Between Westbrook, Joseph, and Hoffarber and to a lesser extent Bostick we need to find the hot hand and ride it.

Or more acurately, find the hand that doesn't cough up the ball and ride it. Haha!
I think Gophers kick butt tonight, but that is just my guess.

I think Devoe has issues at PG with preventing turnovers, but Becky isn't as athletic as some of the other teams we have faced, so perhaps this is an alright time to start him at PG.

good point Big L. If you had to pick one team to play canada at PG in place on Nolen this would be it.

All the talk lately about no offensive production from the guards and that Nolen may start because he is the only guard who is producing I remembered we have one more guard. Bostick. This might be his time to step forward.

All the talk lately about no offensive production from the guards and that Nolen may start because he is the only guard who is producing I remembered we have one more guard. Bostick. This might be his time to step forward.

Agreed. Devron talked about his chip on the shoulder towards Wisco during the off season. He played well in the win against them the first game. 4-9 fg's, 3-4 ft's, 3rbs, 11pts, in 21min.

I'd love to see that kind of a game from Dev again.

If that's true, then I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. A defense like Wisconsin, in a game as big as this one, it not typically the time you decide to throw a freshman guard into the starting lineup. The staff must be really frustrated with Al if that ends up being the case.

Regardless who starts (Nolen or Devoe) we need defensive pressure from the start to the finish of this game. That, along with less TO's will go a long way towards the win against Buckey tonight....AND make our FT's. Gophers by 4.

Top Bottom