Joseph Can't Get the Ball In - Texas Loses

Section201

Reaction score
Nine seconds to go with a 2 point lead and Cory Joseph can't get the ball in bounds, does not call a time out soon enough, turns the ball over and Arizona goes on to win by 1.

Some really weird last few seconds of games this year, but I enjoyed this ending.

:clap::clap::clap:

Devoe couldn't put down the pipe and Cory can't count to 5. Screwed my bracket a little bit...but I don't mind...:D

Man, I had Texas winning it all. F'en stupid in retrospect. My question though, is why did the Texas player call time out when he got the rebound with 12 seconds? He had the ball, they were clear and Arizona would have to foul. I really think basketball is overcoached. Sometime there is going to be a coach who realizes that it may be an advantage to just play it out.

FWIW, the ref who made the 5 second call is the guy who blew the big east tournament game when they threw it in the stands with 2 seconds left. Once they start breaking down film he better be right and Jospeh was over 5 seconds or his career is done.

winni

Man, I had Texas winning it all. F'en stupid in retrospect. My question though, is why did the Texas player call time out when he got the rebound with 12 seconds? He had the ball, they were clear and Arizona would have to foul. I really think basketball is overcoached. Sometime there is going to be a coach who realizes that it may be an advantage to just play it out.

FWIW, the ref who made the 5 second call is the guy who blew the big east tournament game when they threw it in the stands with 2 seconds left. Once they start breaking down film he better be right and Jospeh was over 5 seconds or his career is done.

Replay showed Joseph tried to call a timeout too late. :cry::cry::cry:

Blew my brackets but I could not be happier.

yeah, they were just talking about it on TNT and they watched the tape...the guy counted to 4 and then Cory called timeout...but the ref held up 5 and called the turn over. Not how I have seen it done by most refs...TNT was unanimous that the ref screwed the call.

That guy is having a bad week.

Philly

yeah, they were just talking about it on TNT and they watched the tape...the guy counted to 4 and then Cory called timeout...but the ref held up 5 and called the turn over. Not how I have seen it done by most refs...TNT was unanimous that the ref screwed the call.

That guy is having a bad week.

I am not a rules expert but the replay I saw discussed showed the count at 4 and then Joseph made the motion for a time out just as the ref was getting to five. The announcers said you can't call a timeout after the count gets to 4.

Any rules experts out there?

Not that it matters at this point...

Texas wasn't that good. They had a lot of media hype, but (similar to last year) they didn't play well down the stretch in conference play - their "greatness" was based on beating up on a lot of good-but-not-great Big 12 teams - the same Big 12 that will have AT MOST one team (KU) in the Sweet 16.

Joseph tried to call TO, but apparently the rule is you can't call TO after 4, and that's what Joseph tried to do.

Thou shalt not trust a Rick Barnes team in the tournament.

I am not a rules expert but the replay I saw discussed showed the count at 4 and then Joseph made the motion for a time out just as the ref was getting to five. The announcers said you can't call a timeout after the count gets to 4.

Any rules experts out there?

Not that it matters at this point...

That is the way the rule states.

Nine seconds to go with a 2 point lead and Cory Joseph can't get the ball in bounds, does not call a time out soon enough, turns the ball over and Arizona goes on to win by 1.

Some really weird last few seconds of games this year, but I enjoyed this ending.

:clap::clap::clap:

Showing this much delight in the failure of others just illustrates what a complete loser you are.

Showing this much delight in the failure of others just illustrates what a complete loser you are.

Isn't your entire 500 post existence on this board dedicated to gloating about a recruiting victory for Texas?

The timeout before that is what cost them the game. Anybody know who called it? I thought the coach did but Winniegopher says it was the player. Either way that was a really boneheaded play.

Isn't your entire 500 post existence on this board dedicated to gloating about a recruiting victory for Texas?

You could very easily read my past posts and find out for yourself. But in short, no. And you'd know that if you read the football board as well. Also, if you learn to comprehend what you are reading, you'll realize that very little of any of it is gloating.

And Go Gophs Eh? .... do you ever not embarrass yourself when you post here? It's comical how wrong you are and just how often it happens.

:clap:

Hamilton called the timeout, and God only knows why. His play yesterday was pretty bad. Joseph signaled for the timeout before the 5 second violation was called. Total screw job, but we shouldn't have put ourselves in that positions to begin with.

And Dr. Don, you are simply wrong about the rule stating that you have to call a timeout before the fourth second. I looked up the rules and there is no mention of that whatsoever. If that were the rule it'd be called a 4-second rule, not 5 but I guess most of the American sheeple just digested that throw away line of BS like it was a quarter-pounder with cheese.

But I'll give credit to Zona. They played well, and I hope they beat Duke.

Now I just hope Tristan Thompson sticks around with Cory Joseph so they can play with Myck Kabongo and Kevin Thomas (former teammates on the Grass Roots AAU team). I think Hamilton may be gone, but his stock may have taken a hit toward the end of the season so there's a chance he returns.

Boo Hoo. Somebody called me a name on the internet!

:cry::cry::cry:

Awww, don't cry! I'd be more than happy to say the same to your face, if I could bear looking at it. But I'm in Texas and you aren't worth the trip, so I have to resort to using the internet.

Did you have anything else to add? Or did you just want to carry on with your display of exemplary sportsmanship?

cens

Awww, don't cry! I'd be more than happy to say the same to your face, if I could bear looking at it. But I'm in Texas and you aren't worth the trip, so I have to resort to using the internet.

Did you have anything else to add? Or did you just want to carry on with your display of exemplary sportsmanship?

cens,

Really, I am sorry your roster of NBA lottery picks could not navigate the last 20 seconds of the game.

:rolleyes:

According to Seth Davis, the rule USED to be you couldn't get a TO after 4 while trying to inbound the ball and beat the 5-count; however, Davis said the rule changed several years ago so you CAN call TO after 4. So apparently Jim Burr made another mistake in not granting the TO.

Well, it may be a mistake by the ref, but I'm fine with it. I like Arizona (since back in the Miles Simon days), and I don't like Texas, and, for some reason, I don't really mind any basketballing misfortune coming to a certain Canadian family.

Richard Cartmell

According to Seth Davis, the rule USED to be you couldn't get a TO after 4 while trying to inbound the ball and beat the 5-count; however, Davis said the rule changed several years ago so you CAN call TO after 4. So apparently Jim Burr made another mistake in not granting the TO.

According to the rivals/yahoo story the ref was Richard Cartmell. Cartmell said he counted to 5. He did not mention the bogus "4 second rule". He did not seemed confused about the rule.

Here is the story from:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...official_arizona_heads_to_the_sweet_16_032011

"...Texas attempted to inbound the ball under Arizona’s basket leading 69-67 with 15 ticks remaining.

Unable to find an open teammate, freshman Cory Joseph asked official Richard Cartmell for a timeout. Cartmell, though, blew his whistle and signaled that Joseph had failed to inbound the ball in the five seconds he was allotted. A replay revealed that Joseph held the ball for only 4.4 seconds...A pool reporter questioned Cartmell about the call after the game.

“I had the call,” Cartmell said. “I had five seconds before the kid turned and signaled a timeout. I had to make a decision whether it was five seconds or a timeout, and I made the decision it was five seconds because I had counted five seconds before he called timeout.”
"

According to the rivals/yahoo story the ref was Richard Cartmell. Cartmell said he counted to 5. He did not mention the bogus "4 second rule". He did not seemed confused about the rule.

Here is the story from:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...official_arizona_heads_to_the_sweet_16_032011

"...Texas attempted to inbound the ball under Arizona’s basket leading 69-67 with 15 ticks remaining.

Unable to find an open teammate, freshman Cory Joseph asked official Richard Cartmell for a timeout. Cartmell, though, blew his whistle and signaled that Joseph had failed to inbound the ball in the five seconds he was allotted. A replay revealed that Joseph held the ball for only 4.4 seconds...A pool reporter questioned Cartmell about the call after the game.

“I had the call,” Cartmell said. “I had five seconds before the kid turned and signaled a timeout. I had to make a decision whether it was five seconds or a timeout, and I made the decision it was five seconds because I had counted five seconds before he called timeout.”
"

Yeah, and Cartmell is a liar. Plain and simple. Clearly you didn't actually watch the game or else you would have seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgLE9YkwMe0&feature=player_embedded

Cartmell is a boldfaced liar and can't even admit that he blew the call. He should be suspended and forced to only ref girls middle school basketball for the rest of his years. He is a worthless, pompous, p.o.s.

That was a terrible call. It was pretty obvious that Joseph signaled for a time out before the ref was even close to finishing the 5-second count.

Yeah, and Cartmell is a liar. Plain and simple. Clearly you didn't actually watch the game or else you would have seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgLE9YkwMe0&feature=player_embedded

Cartmell is a boldfaced liar and can't even admit that he blew the call. He should be suspended and forced to only ref girls middle school basketball for the rest of his years. He is a worthless, pompous, p.o.s.

I actually thought the no call on the subsequent Brown drive to the basket was worse. Brown was clearly bumped.

The Texas coach should be fired.

All you have to do is walk up to the ref before the play and say, "Look. If we have a hard time getting the ball in bounds on this play, I declare now that we call a timeout before you blow the whistle."

Top Bottom