Jonah Pirsig

Joking aside, I would say not a chance. Needs redshirt year to get stronger and work on his technique.

hes to raw, he may be one of the top ol prospects but he is also one of the rawest... he will rs and learn... he will start in 2013 imo

No reason to have him play next year. Lots of youth on the OL

Absolutely not. He's a top prospect due to size and upside, but he's raw. Add that in with the fact that we actually have depth on the offensive line, and I'd say Pirsig is the least likely recruit to play as a true freshman.

This is obviously just an educated guess, but I think there is virtually no chance that Jonah sees the field next season. To be honest, I wouldn't expect to see him for a couple of years. We have quite a few young/talented OT.

Jimmy Gjere RSFR
Ed Olson SO
Foster Bush will be RSFR next season
Lenkiawicz RSFR
Ferguson RSFR
I'm not sure about the McAvoys either....
Even Campion might end up a T.

It'll be hard for Jonah to get a ton of PT in his first couple seasons. OL is the toughest position to play immedietly (IMO), simply because there is such a difference between the strength of a 22 yr old who has been in a college weight program and an 18 yr (even super talented) kid walking onto campus.

Take nothing away from Jonah, but I expect him to sit for a couple years, and that's for the best.

Hope not. I hope that we have enough talent and depth on the Oline to not need to use any true freshman.

He told me when I traveled down to own of his games that he wants to redshirt. By the way, he is one of ten finalists for the Mr. Football Award next week.

Chris Monter

That's good to hear Chris. I don't have the statistics so I could easily be wrong, but it's my impression that even among the top offensive line recruits in the nation, red-shirting is usually the route taken by an in-coming freshman.

Something has gone terribly wrong if he sees the field next season. Possibly even in the next couple seasons. I like my O-lineman with some time to develop. Only rare studs should be going out there as freshmen IMO. But obviously, that's the IDEAL situation, when you got that cycle going, where you got like 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and maybe one stud soph out there every year and it just keeps going and going.

Plus, didn't he say in one of his interviews that he wants to redshirt?

My money's on no. He has so much upside potential that you cannot play him unless it's absolutely necessary. I think we have enough capable guys to get us through next year.

This conversation speaks volumes.

As fans, we're borderline excited about the "experience and depth" that the Gophers will be trotting out onto the field next season. In reality, they will be going largely with RSFR, RSSO, with maybe one or two Juniors next season on the O-Line.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like the young group that the Gophers have coming up on the O-Line but this really shows just how YOUNG and inexperienced they will STILL be even next year.

From 2013 going forward, the future of the O-Line looks fantastic. Next year I think they'll perform well and they'll be just fine, but it's important to remember just HOW young they still are.

Given the way the year went, some freshmen, RS freshmen got valuable game time experience, though a little painful at times. The team as a whole spent most of the year going through growing/changing pains. I do look for a lot stronger respectable team next year and an even better team 2 to 3 years from now...

Yes, he should RS and spend next year developing/getting disciplined as to what is needed for him to develop.

Didn't see him play any games this year but when I was down in south Dakota this summer saw him play. Very raw. I think it might be 2-3 years before we see him. Huge upside though.

If a Big Ten team starts a true freshman at OL, it says more about the lack of talent on the team than it does about the talent of the player. Pirsig should put on thirty pounds of muscle in the next 2 years and then think about playing. That said, I can't wait to see him suit up.

anyone have video of his senior year? can't seem to find it anywhere

If a Big Ten team starts a true freshman at OL, it says more about the lack of talent on the team than it does about the talent of the player.

Not necessarily. Mike Brewster was a 4-year starter at C for Ohio St., including starting as a true freshman for the 2008 team that finished #9 in the polls and went 10-3 (7-1). There are many more examples of true freshman starting for very successful teams. That being said, it takes an exceptional and mature player to start on the OL as a true freshman for a good team, and Pirsig, while looking to have a great upside, is just not that kind of player.

Top Bottom