Joke: Gophers now ready to win the MAC! Not so witty, says analyst, players

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Pioneer Press:

The quips came quick when new Gophers coach P.J. Fleck was able to swing nine recruits from Western Michigan to Minnesota in mid-January.

The most-common joke: Welp, now the Gophers can compete for the Mid-American Conference (MAC) championship, which Fleck was able to lead Western Michigan to as its head coach in 2016.

Don’t laugh, say a recruiting analyst and two players that will make the transition from Kalamazoo, Mich., to Dinkytown.

“The thing they didn’t realize is when P.J. Fleck was at Western Michigan, he recruited better than a lot of Big Ten teams did,” said Josh Helmboldt, the Midwest recruiting analyst for rivals.com. “They were rated as Big Ten-caliber guys before they made the flip.”

Those nine recruits were part of the Gophers’ 25-member recruiting class, which signed national letters of intent to Minnesota on Wednesday. Their addition helped boost a class that was ranked 72nd in the nation under previous head coach Tracy Claeys, up to 57th, according to 247sports.com’s composite ranking of four recruiting services.

Rivals.com now has the Gophers as the 54th-best class in the country.

“We don’t rate them based on who they commit to, we rate them based on how we evaluate them,” Helmboldt explained. “Fleck had just done that good of a job at Western Michigan. He’s been doing this for several years, beating out Power Five schools and identifying players that Power Five schools just missed.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/0...in-the-mac-not-so-witty-says-analyst-players/

Go Gophers!!

The analyzing is going to continue for some time now on this class like any other class but especially this class.

Would be nice if they could write articles without leading in with snotty quips....

Honestly, that MAC team he coached last year would have probably beaten the Gophers on a neutral site. I'm sure some will take issue with that. If so, tell me why I'm wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, that MAC team he coached last year would have probably beaten the Gophers on a neutral site. I'm sure some will take issue with that. If so, tell me why I'm wrong?

Because that's your opinion and not mine. Isn't that what GopherHole is for?

If my time at GopherHole as taught me anything, it's that we'll have a healthy discussion about recruiting in this thread for a couple of pages, and then we'll gloriously come to an agreement and put this topic to rest.

Because that's your opinion and not mine. Isn't that what GopherHole is for?

Fair enough.

I'll also add that the Gophers would have gladly taken a number of their players off their hands. Several would have started here.

Fleck recruited well enough for UMN to win the B1G North title next season. [emoji48]

The MAC conf has produced TWO EOS Top 10 AP ranked teams since 1999.

Minnesota has produced zero.

The MAC conf has produced EIGHT EOS Top 25 AP ranked teams since 1999.

Minnesota has produced 2.

8 to 2? Maybe the MAC isn't such a joke compared to Minnesota and the bottom half of the B1G conf? And yes, we are not talking about the MAC as a whole, but WMU, the school PJF came from and where the recruits we flipped came from, is the same team that just pulled off a 13-0 regular season and an EOS AP top 15 ranked team.

FIVE different MAC teams have had at least two Top 30 seasons since 1999.

Miami of Ohio, #10 and #30.
Marshall, #10, #24 & #26.
NIU, #22, #28, #28, #29, #29 & #29.
BG, #23, #27 & #32.
Tol, #23, #26, #30 & #32.

vs

Mn, #18, #20, #34, #34 & #34.

Just putting things in perspective.

The MAC conf has produced TWO EOS Top 10 AP ranked teams since 1999.

Minnesota has produced zero.

The MAC conf has produced EIGHT EOS Top 25 AP ranked teams since 1999.

Minnesota has produced 2.

8 to 2? Maybe the MAC isn't such a joke compared to Minnesota and the bottom half of the B1G conf? And yes, we are not talking about the MAC as a whole, but WMU, the school PJF came from and where the recruits we flipped came from, is the same team that just pulled off a 13-0 regular season and an EOS AP top 15 ranked team.

FIVE different MAC teams have had at least two Top 30 seasons since 1999.

Miami of Ohio, #10 and #30.
Marshall, #10, #24 & #26.
NIU, #22, #28, #28, #29, #29 & #29.
BG, #23, #27 & #32.
Tol, #23, #26, #30 & #32.

vs

Mn, #18, #20, #34, #34 & #34.

Just putting things in perspective.

I don't want to take anything away from those teams, but they got there by beating MAC teams and probably one Big Ten team -- maybe two. Maybe even the Gophers. We'll never know of course, but my guess is that if they had a full Big Ten schedule, they're not ranked that high at the end of the season.

^

Great info. I can't see that WMU team losing to any of the teams the Gophers beat last season. One could argue WSU (the Gophers best win by far) would have been tough, but WMU probably would have put up 40+ on that defense. Probably would have been a shootout.

I don't want to take anything away from those teams, but they got there by beating MAC teams and probably one Big Ten team -- maybe two. Maybe even the Gophers. We'll never know of course, but my guess is that if they had a full Big Ten schedule, they're not ranked that high at the end of the season.

Or maybe they are ranked higher?? To be fair, we just don't know.

Top Bottom