Johnson on what Payne needs to do to get more PT: We talked to him about having a dominant mindset...to be confident that when you're in there.

12 minutes for Payne and 9 for Ola-Joseph in this one. Thank goodness they won otherwise that stat would be much more difficult to accept.
5 points on 2/3 shooting (1/2 FT) isn't bad for only 12 minutes. For a freshman.

But yeah, Ben needs to be playing him 25+ minutes. Hopefully this is simply a teaching moment or something.

5 points on 2/3 shooting (1/2 FT) isn't bad for only 12 minutes. For a freshman.

But yeah, Ben needs to be playing him 25+ minutes. Hopefully this is simply a teaching moment or something.
That’s what it sounded like in the clip from press conference.

12 minutes for Payne and 9 for Ola-Joseph in this one. Thank goodness they won otherwise that stat would be much more difficult to accept.
11 minutes to Thompson. I think it was clear that is BJ is comfortable he will give time to players to build as much future depth as possible. It certainly doesn’t look like he plans to run Thompson off anytime soon.

Fixed it for you, assuming you aren’t a hypocrite.
I was very happy with Carrington's 20 points and good shooting.

At this point, I don't need all of our freshmen playing big minutes every game. But I like 2 of the 4 doing something each game.

If these low minutes persist for more than about 1 game, then yes, it's a problem.

JOJ two fouls in nine minutes, Payne had two in 12 minutes, if either of them only have one, they probably get more time last night. Would have liked another rotation from Payne, but JOJ was a bull in a china shop last night and Battle was on fire from three in the second half so I can understand that move

TT should not be feeding the low post. Do those passes that hit off the back count as shots??
Agreed. Shouldn't he be in the post on the block. My god a 7 fter out on the 3 point line. GEEZ. This offense gets harder and harder to watch and that has nothing to do with the players. That is all on the coach or coaches.

What better game to get him big minutes AND grow his confidence than Ark Pine Bluff? Start the kid and play him - this year we are competing for...nothing, other than development. Payne is obviously one of the top 5 players and has the highest potential of anyone on the team. If the coaches want him to be a lot better by year end- play him. It's baffling to me how stubborn Johnson is on this. I guess the one excuse he may have is that Payne may not be a good pairing with Garcia and Battle. Figure it out, play a style that makes it work. Play zone on defense with those three and force the other team to shoot 3s.

JOJ two fouls in nine minutes, Payne had two in 12 minutes, if either of them only have one, they probably get more time last night. Would have liked another rotation from Payne, but JOJ was a bull in a china shop last night and Battle was on fire from three in the second half so I can understand that move
Who cares about the fouls against Arkansas Pine Bluff? If he fouls out he fouls out. Ben fouled him out by playing him 12 minutes. Play him.

What better game to get him big minutes AND grow his confidence than Ark Pine Bluff? Start the kid and play him - this year we are competing for...nothing, other than development. Payne is obviously one of the top 5 players and has the highest potential of anyone on the team. If the coaches want him to be a lot better by year end- play him. It's baffling to me how stubborn Johnson is on this. I guess the one excuse he may have is that Payne may not be a good pairing with Garcia and Battle. Figure it out, play a style that makes it work. Play zone on defense with those three and force the other team to shoot 3s.

+o4

Go Gophers!!
Don't understand theses comments. Like others have mentioned, Payne is working extremely hard to get a post feed, many times to the point of fouling or nearly fouling his defender. He does not lack effort whenever he is on the floor. We are just not a great team at feeding someone posting up. We turned it over multiple times on bad passes trying to do just that. Bad feeds to the post are not Payne's fault. Other teams know how dangerous he is there just by looking at his FG%, so they work very hard as well to prevent him from getting those passes.

Last edited:

Agreed. Shouldn't he be in the post on the block. My god a 7 fter out on the 3 point line. GEEZ. This offense gets harder and harder to watch and that has nothing to do with the players. That is all on the coach or coaches.
TT is our best perimeter player,:):):rockon:

Wow...all of a sudden, out of nowhere...many are agreeing with me on playing the freshmen.

Just as of yesterday, everyone was screaming for more transfers.

Ben has done this to Payne. Payne should have been starting all year. There hasn’t been a question about this. How can you not reward your hardest working player. Him starting TT for first part of the season simply cannot to justified. If Payne is now struggling w confidence, it’s 1000% Ben’s creation. He’s whittled away at his confidence all year and he’s now victim blaming. Ben, you are the problem here. Recognize that Cooper is NOT a pg and doesn’t have the ability to facilitate an offense at this level. That’s why Payne can’t get the ball. He fights like hell down low (and certainly there’s room for improvement but not primary issue) but it’s nearly always wasted effort cuz Johnson hasn’t figured out how to calibrate the offense properly to deliver the ball where/when it needs to go. I thought a light had finally went on when I saw Samuels in the starting lineup last game, but then Ben still had Cooper running point. Why on earth would you start Samuels and have him play off the ball (where he effectively ends up standing in the corner and we’re playing 4 on 5). Very clear that Carrington needs to be the starting pg, especially if we’re heading into same scenario next year (is Cooper here next year?). Either way, it should be abundantly clear by now that the primary issue is a lack of a facilitator to initiate an offense (this ball screen that we keep running for Cooper is completely asinine - it produces nothing) and Cooper is simply too limited to handle it (he can’t dribble facing the basket with ball pressure). He would be much more effective playing off the ball and taking more 3s. And Carrington is clearly our most viable option. This would enable offensive movement, open things up, and allow the ball to get delivered to Garcia/Payne/JOJ. None of this should be difficult to interpret. I just think Ben is afraid to put Cooper and Garcia in their place. That’s on him. That’s leadership. I so want him to succeed, but he needs to get out of his and the teams way.

Ben has done this to Payne. Payne should have been starting all year. There hasn’t been a question about this. How can you not reward your hardest working player. Him starting TT for first part of the season simply cannot to justified. If Payne is now struggling w confidence, it’s 1000% Ben’s creation. He’s whittled away at his confidence all year and he’s now victim blaming. Ben, you are the problem here. Recognize that Cooper is NOT a pg and doesn’t have the ability to facilitate an offense at this level. That’s why Payne can’t get the ball. He fights like hell down low (and certainly there’s room for improvement but not primary issue) but it’s nearly always wasted effort cuz Johnson hasn’t figured out how to calibrate the offense properly to deliver the ball where/when it needs to go. I thought a light had finally went on when I saw Samuels in the starting lineup last game, but then Ben still had Cooper running point. Why on earth would you start Samuels and have him play off the ball (where he effectively ends up standing in the corner and we’re playing 4 on 5). Very clear that Carrington needs to be the starting pg, especially if we’re heading into same scenario next year (is Cooper here next year?). Either way, it should be abundantly clear by now that the primary issue is a lack of a facilitator to initiate an offense (this ball screen that we keep running for Cooper is completely asinine - it produces nothing) and Cooper is simply too limited to handle it (he can’t dribble facing the basket with ball pressure). He would be much more effective playing off the ball and taking more 3s. And Carrington is clearly our most viable option. This would enable offensive movement, open things up, and allow the ball to get delivered to Garcia/Payne/JOJ. None of this should be difficult to interpret. I just think Ben is afraid to put Cooper and Garcia in their place. That’s on him. That’s leadership. I so want him to succeed, but he needs to get out of his and the teams way.
Well, clearly you're an established D1 coach so you certainly know best...😏

Well, clearly you're an established D1 coach so you certainly know best...😏
Lots of D1 coaches in here.

Payne was getting minutes every game...and all the talk here was about needing more transfers. Payne doesn't get minutes 1 game...and everyone's outraged.

Very few in here are consistent. It's just complaining about different things, game by game.

Wow...all of a sudden, out of nowhere...many are agreeing with me on playing the freshmen.

Just as of yesterday, everyone was screaming for more transfers.
Huh?

Everyone was and should steal be screaming for more transfer guards. It was either an unacceptable failure in understanding the roster or an unacceptable failure in recruiting.

That has absolutely nothing to do with Payne getting more minutes.

Payne was getting minutes every game...and all the talk here was about needing more transfers. Payne doesn't get minutes 1 game...and everyone's outraged.

Very few in here are consistent. It's just complaining about different things, game by game.
Do you honestly think people thought Ben should have added more post players?

Patting yourself on the back for this take is Stocker-level stupid.

Exactly. Payne and JOJ are getting plenty of minutes. This was the right game to get TT more and develop better depth.

Huh?

Everyone was and should steal be screaming for more transfer guards. It was either an unacceptable failure in understanding the roster or an unacceptable failure in recruiting.

That has absolutely nothing to do with Payne getting more minutes.

Do you honestly think people thought Ben should have added more post players?

Patting yourself on the back for this take is Stocker-level stupid.

You guys are entitled to your opinion that we should have more transfer guards. But there's no consistency...you suddenly like it when Carrington does well. I say wait until we develop what we have before adding transfers.

And yes, there's constant complaining about our lack of post players. Constant hoping for Fox & Ihnen and transfers. Today is the first time since the season started that guys here are saying we should develop Payne.

Exactly. Payne and JOJ are getting plenty of minutes. This was the right game to get TT more and develop better depth.
Yeah maybe this was simply a good game to develop TT a little.

I like to focus on the freshmen of course. But yeah, we do have to give TT some minutes.

Top Bottom