Johnson on Dave Thorson: “He is going to have a heavy voice in what we do defensively.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Johnson talking about assistant coach Dave Thorson: “He is going to have a heavy voice in what we do defensively.”

Lindy’s college basketball magazine is among the media predicting a slow start to the new Gopher basketball era. “Ben Johnson’s dream job in his hometown should come with some grace from the fans,” writes Lindsey Willhite.

Lindy’s top 100 prep seniors for the class of 2022 includes at No. 63 Gopher commit Braeden Carrington of Park Center. Other Minnesotans on the list are No. 15 Michigan State commit Tre Holloman from Cretin-Derham Hall and No. 96 Boston College commit Prince Aligbe from Minnehaha Academy.

A tweet yesterday responding to a GopherHole post that Johnson’s team isn’t ranked in the AP preseason top 25: “Also, water is wet.”

Go Gophers!!

I think we all hope Thorson play’s a big role.

If you have 2 head coaches you have no head coach.
I'd pretty much agree with that. But, I do believe, even in basketball, you can have a defensive coordinator. I might have the team wrong but I think it was Texas Tech's Beard that relied on his assistant to run the defense. That worked pretty well....whoever...long story year or two ago describing a very successful winning strategy.
Head coach does need a strong personality, I do believe.

I'd pretty much agree with that. But, I do believe, even in basketball, you can have a defensive coordinator. I might have the team wrong but I think it was Texas Tech's Beard that relied on his assistant to run the defense. That worked pretty well....whoever...long story year or two ago describing a very successful winning strategy.
Head coach does need a strong personality, I do believe.
Yeah, theres always an outlier with anything in life. I think its smart for Ben to lean heavy on Thorson for a few years. Hes technically the most successful coach on the staff, plus an amazing mentor.

If you have 2 head coaches you have no head coach.
I don't know if that's true with basketball. Toronto had Nick Nurse running their offense for years. He's now the head coach, but he was a pretty invaluable assistant prior to that. Chris Finch was certainly a big part of NO's success (drastic drop when he left). There are plenty of NBA teams who almost employ a defensive coordinator philosophy. You also see it across the NCAAs.

Being a head coach is a lot, for any one. One of the main parts of the job is to surround yourself around talented players and other coaches and properly set them up for success. I don't know much about the new regime, but I know I know I'm happy Dave Thorson is focusing on our defense.

If Thorson has future hopes - he won’t stick around longer than 1 year of 2-22 basketball.

Top Bottom