Johnson / Bateman

GopherFanatic19

Reaction score
First teammate duo WR in B1G history to both record over 1,000 yards each in a season!

we’re only getting better in this area, so exciting times ahead!

They are already reloading the WR/RB squads with Daniel Jackson and Ky Thomas plus more.

The future looks great. IMHO - I am most worried about the Offensive & Defensive lines. They are the hardest to recruit with stiff competition.

They are already reloading the WR/RB squads with Daniel Jackson and Ky Thomas plus more.

The future looks great. IMHO - I am most worried about the Offensive & Defensive lines. They are the hardest to recruit with stiff competition.
Well -- take heart that we return our entire offensive line next year and should actually have even more depth! Defensive line we do lose some guys but you will see the better this team does, the easier it is to recruit quality replacements!!

Definitely going to miss Johnson next year, but will be fun to see Autman-Bell featured more. Kid is electric with the ball in his hands. I remember PJ saying Bateman would be the best receiver he's ever had when all said and done, no disrespect to Corey Davis. Seems he was right. Unbelievable talent.

First of all, congrats to Bateman and Johnson (and Morgan) for this incredible accomplishment! First duo in league history to go over 1,000 yards each in the same season?! Wow. Who thought our favorite team would re-write the B1G receiving record books?!

Second, PJ and co brought in a banner class last year on the DL by inking 4 guys who all had a plethora of P5 offers from teams like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, ND, etc. We haven't seen them this year because they haven't been needed. They'll likely take their lumps next year as rFr, but there's talent waiting in the wings.

And as someone else mentioned, the entire OL returns and a couple backups like Guedet may be more ready to play. Exciting times to be a Gophers fan!

Definitely going to miss Johnson next year, but will be fun to see Autman-Bell featured more. Kid is electric with the ball in his hands. I remember PJ saying Bateman would be the best receiver he's ever had when all said and done, no disrespect to Corey Davis. Seems he was right. Unbelievable talent.
Bateman is amazing. Funny there were some bonehead guys (Fleck haters) on this site just a few weeks ago slamming another poster who suggested that Bateman would be a high draft choice. Those guys are fools. Unless he gets injured, Bateman will go in the first three rounds, and has a chance at round one if he continues this pace. His combination of size, speed, hands, and athleticism is elite!

Johnson = 1st in B1G with 1,025 yard
Bateman = 2nd in BIG with 1,023 yards
Both lead the B1G in TDs with 10 each

So if you're the D coach, which one do you choose to play single coverage on?

For those of us who remember Barber and Maroney in the same backfield, this is deja vu.

Enjoy it while you can - these are the good old days.

Any chance Bateman tests the draft waters this year??

Any chance Bateman tests the draft waters this year??
Nope, because you can't go until 3 years from your senior year of high school. And this is his 2nd year here. So we have him one more for sure. If he has another season like this, he'll be gone after next year and I'll wish him the best.

First of all, congrats to Bateman and Johnson (and Morgan) for this incredible accomplishment! First duo in league history to go over 1,000 yards each in the same season?! Wow. Who thought our favorite team would re-write the B1G receiving record books?!

Second, PJ and co brought in a banner class last year on the DL by inking 4 guys who all had a plethora of P5 offers from teams like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, ND, etc. We haven't seen them this year because they haven't been needed. They'll likely take their lumps next year as rFr, but there's talent waiting in the wings.

And as someone else mentioned, the entire OL returns and a couple backups like Guedet may be more ready to play. Exciting times to be a Gophers fan!

A few years ago we were just hoping the team would solve the mystery of the forward pass. Can't even believe this is the same program at this point.

When was the last time we could face the loss of one of our all time best WR, our career all purpose yards leader, and another back that has rushed for over 1,000 yards and yet feel like we are going to be even better on offense next year? Mason reloaded at RB pretty well each year but I can't ever recall us having the depth and talent we do at the skill positions on offense. Add to that, an entire offensive line returning and you have the makings of something really special.

It is not a stretch to think that our offense could challenge Ohio State for best in the conference next year. We are not all that far off right now and we should only get better.

Defense will have a lot of new faces and plenty of work to do on Special teams. Hopefully those two units will find an upward trajectory on par with the offense and come along for the ride. Exciting times to be a Gopher football fans....as a fanbase we deserve this. :)

Nope, because you can't go until 3 years from your senior year of high school. And this is his 2nd year here. So we have him one more for sure. If he has another season like this, he'll be gone after next year and I'll wish him the best.

How are there still people that don't understand that rule which has been in place for years? If he has another year like this one I would say there is a very good chance he goes pro after next year but no matter what he will be back in Maroon and Gold next year.

Bateman is amazing. Funny there were some bonehead guys (Fleck haters) on this site just a few weeks ago slamming another poster who suggested that Bateman would be a high draft choice. Those guys are fools. Unless he gets injured, Bateman will go in the first three rounds, and has a chance at round one if he continues this pace. His combination of size, speed, hands, and athleticism is elite!
I said Bateman is a high end pick last year and caught the same flack. There’s a lot of prominent gopherhole posters who are quick to reply with a snarky comment then disappear out of thin air.

How are there still people that don't understand that rule which has been in place for years? If he has another year like this one I would say there is a very good chance he goes pro after next year but no matter what he will be back in Maroon and Gold next year.

I agree but there are some crazy circumstances allowing guys to leave earlier. The Penn State TE is a true sophomore but is eligible for the draft. Luckily Bateman is not in the crazy circumstance group and we get him for at least one more year.

Can you find these posts and cite them? It sounds like a strawman you made up.

was kind of wondering the same thing since Bateman was a high ranked recruit and looked great right from day 1. i guess maybe if he was saying it before signing day maybe.

Can you find these posts and cite them? It sounds like a strawman you made up.

I believe some posters disagrees that he would be a high NFL draft pick but I don’t remember anyone saying he wasn’t good/really good. At least not seriously.

I said Bateman is a high end pick last year and caught the same flack. There’s a lot of prominent gopherhole posters who are quick to reply with a snarky comment then disappear out of thin air.

I actually replied to your post that day and said I think he is even better than you think he is. So I am the one that gets to tell you I told you so.....

Top Bottom