John Mayall passes away at age 90

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
Last edited:

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton. great freakin' album. (I have it on CD, not vinyl)

as the Times obit notes, Mayall was known more as a bandleader and recruiter of talent, more so than his individual skills as a musician. he was a key figure in the mid-60's British blues scene.

short list of people who played with him at various times
Clapton
John Mc Vie
Peter Green
Mick Taylor
Jack Bruce
Mick Fleetwood
Aynsley Dunbar

I became a big fan back in the day when he introduced the band with no drummer, Jon Mark and Johnny Almond. I love the songs California and Room to Move.

I became a big fan back in the day when he introduced the band with no drummer, Jon Mark and Johnny Almond. I love the songs California and Room to Move.

I remember reading him say that "Room to Move" was kind of a happy accident. His band was finished with their show but the crowd wanted an encore so he huddled with his bandmates and told them that they could perform this little workout that should be easy to play. Turned out to be probably his best known song.

He didn't stick long with the Turning Point band though. He was always changing. His next band took the music more in a jazzy direction (including a drummer)

Top Bottom