Joe Coleman

There'sChippy!

Reaction score
I read some interview with Joe in the Pio today and he said he'd be willing to play point if Tubby asked him to.

Where is Joe best suited? From what I've read it sounds like he's a 3 with 2 size.

Thanks board.

I read some interview with Joe in the Pio today and he said he'd be willing to play point if Tubby asked him to.

Where is Joe best suited? From what I've read it sounds like he's a 3 with 2 size.

Thanks board.

I think you're hunch is pretty accurate. He's a tough, competitive slasher. But he can not shoot the ball and he ain't 6'4. Think Stevie Thompson, old school Syracuse. Not quite that explosive, but similar games.

Someone probably asked him if he'd be willing and of course he's not going to just say "no, I will not do what the coach asks me to do." He'll be playing on the wing.

I think you're hunch is pretty accurate. He's a tough, competitive slasher. But he can not shoot the ball and he ain't 6'4. Think Stevie Thompson, old school Syracuse. Not quite that explosive, but similar games.

Saying Joe can't shoot is just not true. I've seen him hit plenty of jump shots, especially mid range shots. He is dominate slashing around the hoop in HS that he doesn't take the lower percentage shots as often.

A little sampling.

he most deffinately is 6'4" as well. he is taller than singleton now from what i saw 2 weeks ago.

I assumed he was just humoring the interviewer. That said, we have a 3 SG class all of who I am excited to see and I have no idea who will have primary ball handling duties. I assume it will be Julian.

Do we need a true point? Will our backcourt see that much improvement?

Another question: I feel like we always have these athletic teams and rarely press. Will we be more able to press full court this year and will Tubby go to that? I think we should press for most of the game. We have struggled so mightily that generating points off to's should be of great importance.

I assumed he was just humoring the interviewer. That said, we have a 3 SG class all of who I am excited to see and I have no idea who will have primary ball handling duties. I assume it will be Julian.

Do we need a true point? Will our backcourt see that much improvement?

Another question: I feel like we always have these athletic teams and rarely press. Will we be more able to press full court this year and will Tubby go to that? I think we should press for most of the game. We have struggled so mightily that generating points off to's should be of great importance.

I think we will press constantly next year.

Trevor, Rodney, Joe, Andre, Julian, Austin, etc will all do very well with the press.

Keep Mo, Colton or Ralph back and Gophers will be back to lock down defense. Through in a lot of young ball handlers in the big 10 and life could be fun!

In the past Tubby has stated his intent to press a lot, but we would usually only do it at home when we needed a spark IIRC. I really hope we actually do it on more of a regular basis next season. With the athleticism we will have it would be a shame not to.

15 points at half for Joe against CDH. All dunks and layups.

In the past Tubby has stated his intent to press a lot, but we would usually only do it at home when we needed a spark IIRC. I really hope we actually do it on more of a regular basis next season. With the athleticism we will have it would be a shame not to.

Tubby avoidance of the press has to do with fear of fatigue and fouls. We haven't had many bodies in the back court the last two years. With lots of guards there should be lots of pressure.

I watched the first half of the Hopkins game tonight hoping to get a glimpse of what type of player the gophers have coming in next year. I was VERY disappointed. On paper Coleman looks like he'd be an immediate impact player. He MIGHT have been among the top 5 players on the court tonight, but just barely. He has a goofy shot, no quickness was evident, no "wiggle" or quick step to the basket; he looked uncomfortable shooting free throws. He scored alot of points but it was more a reflection of how Hopkins runs its offense which clears out under the basket leaving him alone for a bunny shot. There was no intensity or quickness on defense--a major disappointment. Hard to believe he is the best high school prospect coming out the Twin Cities. Looks more like a small school division 2 player.

I watched the first half of the Hopkins game tonight hoping to get a glimpse of what type of player the gophers have coming in next year. I was VERY disappointed. On paper Coleman looks like he'd be an immediate impact player. He MIGHT have been among the top 5 players on the court tonight, but just barely. He has a goofy shot, no quickness was evident, no "wiggle" or quick step to the basket; he looked uncomfortable shooting free throws. He scored alot of points but it was more a reflection of how Hopkins runs its offense which clears out under the basket leaving him alone for a bunny shot. There was no intensity or quickness on defense--a major disappointment. Hard to believe he is the best high school prospect coming out the Twin Cities. Looks more like a small school division 2 player.

Forgive me for not taking you as an expert. By the way there is another active thread with this exact thread title.

Tubby avoidance of the press has to do with fear of fatigue and fouls. We haven't had many bodies in the back court the last two years. With lots of guards there should be lots of pressure.

I remember him using that as a reason/excsue for not using the press more. Hopefully you're right that we will press more, I don't see why we wouldn't.

He didn't attempt a shot from distance so I'm not sure where you decided he had a "goofy shot." His first few free throws weren't good but after that he settled down. The problem is he plays in an incredibly successful system in which he hangs out near the basket and picks up easy buckets. By no means should that discount his ability as a player. Also, scoring 29 points and grabbing 9 boards typically puts you in the top 5 players on the court on any given night... just saying.

I mean, he can finish with both hands if thats a plus for you? should he pass on the open dunks and pull it out for a fade away 3 to beat CDH by 33 instead of 30?

I see some comparisons between Joe Coleman and Rodney Williams as you project Joe as a future Gopher. Both Rodney and Joe had/have significant athletic advantages over their high school competition so they are able to finish relatively easily around the basket. As they face Big 10 and national opponents, the athletic ability begins to balance and they will have to broaden their games. The one thing I really like about Joe is his willingness and aggressiveness in taking the ball to the basket. Joe will have to continue to improve his jump shot and shooting overall, but he has many tools that should make him a very solid college player.

I think Coleman is FAR more polished of a wing player than Rodney Williams was in high school IMO. I can't even remember a lot of highlight reels showing Rodney playing a lot on the wing, admittedly though I saw little of him when he was in high school. But Joe has shown plenty of guard/forward skills throughout his career. Yesterday, he didn't have to go outside much, he got a bunch of layups (some very tough layups btw as well), but he's definitely shown plenty throughout his career to tell you he CAN play outside. It's a transition for any Minnesota kid when going to a Big Ten level, cause this state just doesn't have the depth of talent to prepare them for it, but I'm pretty confident with his work ethic, he'll be fine when he gets here.

Coleman is definitely more polished than Rodney. He's also much stronger and a more fierce competitor. He'll be fine. I'm not sure how good he'll be early.

I've seen the kid play 50 times. He is NOT 6'4 and HE CAN NOT SHOOT THE BALL. He needs a lot of work, but I know he's not afraid of the work.

I think Coleman is FAR more polished of a wing player than Rodney Williams was in high school IMO.

Yes.

I won't say he can't shoot, but he is at his best at the rim. The guy can finish. At 6-4 however that fits in transition more than in the half court.

Joe must get a lot of "bunnies" to drive up that field goal percentage! :)

Joe was 67% from the line on 200 attempts.

Joe's 6-23 from 3's puts him just behind Austin Hollins at 26%.

http://www.gophersports.com//pdf8/746313.pdf

My man Sinyani was 52% from the field, 77% from the line, and 42% from 3's.

I was extremely impressed watching chambers last night. Looking forward to the match against EP. I watched online when they lost to EP the first time they played and he drove to the lane at will so should be a good match up.

Did I say anything statistical? NO. Quit running your mouth just because you follow Hopkins so closely. I watched the entire game, playing the point guard position he was impressive.

Glad you caught the game online. Impressive credentials. The fact of the matter is that Chambers did very little in that game. To say he "drove the lane at will" is an entirely inaccurate characterization. Sorry. I'm not sure if your online feed was spotty or if you just don't know basketball. Either way, I hope things work out.

Top Bottom