Joe Coleman at #65 in ESPN top 100 list

I don't know why people wouldn't be happy to have Coleman. I really don't think height is a problem. He certainly makes up for it with other strengths. Don't forget he still has time to grow and it's not like his brother is short.

1. coleman is a legit 6'3" if not 6'4", 2. he has the athletic ability to make up for any lack of height some of you think he has, think shannon brown mich state. 3. if hoffarber, slow and a hostage of gravity can play sf in a 3 gaurd lineup, pretty sure coleman can at around the same height, lastly singleton 6'3"? thats just stupid.

1. coleman is a legit 6'3" if not 6'4", 2. he has the athletic ability to make up for any lack of height some of you think he has, think shannon brown mich state. 3. if hoffarber, slow and a hostage of gravity can play sf in a 3 gaurd lineup, pretty sure coleman can at around the same height, lastly singleton 6'3"? thats just stupid.

I have seen Coleman play extensively. The Shannon Brown comparison is fair, although probably more of a poor man's Shannon Brown. Bottom-line is that Joe could be a fantastic recruit for the Gophers; he has the physical tools to contribute from day 1, and would be a solid 4-year player.

He is closer to 6'3" than 6'5" as others have said, but I agree that he can make up for lack of height with athleticism. I also believe he has the stroke and fundamentals to be a decent 3-point shooter. I think his older brother was an underrated player at the U; I would take another similar 4-year contribution from Joe.

When was the last time Minnesota had a shooting guard with Colemans basic physical abilities, I think you have to go back to Grier. He has time to develop his shooting abilities. He would bring the one thing the program has been missing and that is an ability to create his own shot. It took Joseph almost two years to get to that point, where will Coleman be in three years.

Thanks for the summary, truly appreciated - it isn't plagiarism if somebody summarizes an article, right? That actually eases my mind a bit. Saying there are nice facilities and arenas at ISU seems like something a tourist might say of the place...or I could just be hopeful. I am really excited about JC, though. Hopefully Tubby can wrap him up by the fall, it'd be nice to lock down a top 100 to start off the '11 recruiting class as it might entice some of the other talents out there to join up.

What do you expect him to say in an interview, "*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# son, that place was *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing ridiculous."? From the people that I spoke to that work within the athletic department, things went pretty well with Coleman at ISU.

What do you expect him to say in an interview, "*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# son, that place was *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing ridiculous."? From the people that I spoke to that work within the athletic department, things went pretty well with Coleman at ISU.

Yes, I would expect him to be more excited then saying "nice". All you have to do is read some football recruit trip articles after they see TCF and you'll know the difference between "nice" and "unbelievable". Bottom line is that if ISU gets Coleman it certainly won't be because of better facilities, the reason will be that either he likes Hoiberg better than Tubby (unproven, inexperienced coach vs. a national championship winning coach); he wants to get away from home (Ames vs. Minneapolis); he likes the conference better (Big 12 vs Big 10); or he just feels like there is more opportunity and is a better fit (hard to believe considering the lack of a big time 2 guard in Minnesota's recent recruiting). When you look at all the positives and negatives in each program I've got to believe Tubby is still the heavy favorite (unless of course there are some personal issues between Coleman and the coaching staff).

Yes, I would expect him to be more excited then saying "nice". All you have to do is read some football recruit trip articles after they see TCF and you'll know the difference between "nice" and "unbelievable". Bottom line is that if ISU gets Coleman it certainly won't be because of better facilities, the reason will be that either he likes Hoiberg better than Tubby (unproven, inexperienced coach vs. a national championship winning coach); he wants to get away from home (Ames vs. Minneapolis); he likes the conference better (Big 12 vs Big 10); or he just feels like there is more opportunity and is a better fit (hard to believe considering the lack of a big time 2 guard in Minnesota's recent recruiting). When you look at all the positives and negatives in each program I've got to believe Tubby is still the heavy favorite (unless of course there are some personal issues between Coleman and the coaching staff).

I suggest you take a look at the new basketball facility (especially the private theaters and lounges) they have built in Ames and the experience in Hilton (prior to being underwater). To say there is a lack of opportunity at the 2 spot is a little short sighted, the only true 2 on the 2011 roster is Babb (transfer from Penn St.)

Iowa State will have a better scout team this upcoming season then the guys on the actual floor, it's a given with all of the transfers. The 2010 team is going to struggle, but with the likes of Babb/Booker/White/Cook and the possibility of Allen (Michigan St.) becoming available next year, it's going to be an enticing team to join, especially compared to the upcoming Minnesota recruiting class (not trying to bash the players and solely going off recruit grading on this, but it's not a strong class to say the least.)

You also have to take into the account that the Big12 is more condusive to his style of play, at least from what I've read he's more of a 15' and in type of guy that likes to slash to the basket. That is Big12 play at it's core, where as the B10 is suited better for taller guys with range.

I'm not saying that I am 100% confident that he'll choose ISU and I think based on home ties that Minnesota is probably the favorite at this point, but with that being said, I wouldn't be suprised if he ended up as a Cyclone.

Plus, who can possibly say no to Hoibergs eyes.

How many big ten shooting guards are even 6'5" in shoes? Most are probably 6'3" or 6'4" in shoes? Ohio St. is the one team that puts bigger guards on the floor. C. Allen, Summers, Devoe, Hoff, Babb, Richardson, Paul, none of these guys are 6'5".

I think the trouble people had with the older coleman is he had a ton of ability but no aggressiveness. The younger Coleman doesnt sound like he has an aggressiveness problem.

http://twitter.com/tchoopsczar -

NY2LASports comes out with new rankings and with usual bias to WI kids puts Paul Jesperson at 71 and no Joe Coleman. Seriously SMH

Josh Oglesby @ #91 & Andre Hollins unranked.

Other Minnesota kids: http://www.ny2lasports.com/player_s...ed&classyear=Class&position=Position&state=MN

Seems like Uthoff, Oglesby and Jesperson hover around the same spots in other rankings. Joe is all over the map, am I just being a homer to I think he's underrated on many boards?

Joe is all over the map, am I just being a homer to I think he's underrated on many boards?

I've been wondering the same thing for awhile. While his ratings vary, his offers don't seem to match with the higher ratings. For a while I thought that other high majors were slow to offer b/c Joe was a lock for the Gophs but the visits to Colorado State? and ISU have me wondering what the deal is.

I've been wondering the same thing for awhile. While his ratings vary, his offers don't seem to match with the higher ratings. For a while I thought that other high majors were slow to offer b/c Joe was a lock for the Gophs but the visits to Colorado State? and ISU have me wondering what the deal is.

If i were to take a guess it would be the fact is probably 6ft 2in and doesnt have a consistent jumpshot. IIRC he does a lot of his work in the paint, which he wont be able to do a high major, however i still hope he comes here because of just how athletically gifted he is.

If i were to take a guess it would be the fact is probably 6ft 2in and doesnt have a consistent jumpshot. IIRC he does a lot of his work in the paint, which he wont be able to do a high major, however i still hope he comes here because of just how athletically gifted he is.

Didn't seem to matter at Peach Jam this summer. He scored 30+ points versus BOTB competition.

Didn't seem to matter at Peach Jam this summer. He scored 30+ points versus BOTB competition.

Definitely an impressive display for Joe and IIRC that was the event that really began to energize GHers about him, but why hasn't that translated to more offers from high majors?

Let's all be realistic about Coleman though before we are all sure he's the best fit for '11. He gets to the rim pretty well in AAU and High School. His shot is still a concern although improved. He's maybe 6'3 with shoes on and hasn't had to play a lot of defense so I'm not sure about that aspect. He's a good athlete but he's far from a sure thing. I could see Coleman under Hoiberg really progressing as far as jump shot etc. The Big 12??? might be a better fit for Coleman's skill set.

Curious as to why this board is so high on Coleman yet very quiet about Ross Travis who is ranked about 10 spots lower? Anyone have thougths on Travis?

RyanJamesMN Tweet: Memphis is showing increased interest in Ross Travis.

Didn't feel it needed a new thread.

Do they play defense in summer tournaments? Not sure this type of performance translates to the Big Ten.

I really hope he comes here and I think he is our most important target for next year. But I don't think he'll be doing too much damage in the lane during Big Ten play.

On Ross Travis: Johnny Gopher has been high on him as has our resident Badger, UWOle. The Gophers have watched him play multiple times, but have not offered him. I would assume he's unlikely to be a Gopher with Coleman, Tharpe, Hollins, Oglesby, and the PF from Texas all on the radar.

After watching Travis play a couple times this summer, I think he has a chance to be a very good Division 1 player. I am disappointed to hear that he isn't getting much attention from the Gopher staff. Adding Coleman and Travis in the 2011 class would bode well for the Gophers in next 4 years.

Joe Coleman sets 3 visits

Evidently Joe has set 3 official visit dates for the next three Fridays starting on the 10th at Minnesota followed by Santa Clara and ISU. He has visited all three campuses on unofficial visits before.

There could be some interesting and interdependent decissions made within the next three weeks. We have Tharpe coming in on the 17th with Oglesby here the next day and Hollins on the 23rd.

What's the connection for Joe into the Santa Clara program?

Top Bottom