Joe Bjorklund

Chris Monter

Reaction score
Joe Bjorklund signed with the Gophers and will not greyshirt as had been expected.

Chris Monter

Good deal for him, ton of lineman this class, but hey, considering the line play we have had in the past in the post-Mason era, I'm not complaining lol.

Well obviously. We have like 6 open scholarships. So, why would he greyshirt.

Well obviously. We have like 6 open scholarships. So, why would he greyshirt.

1) Balance out overall class numbers
2) Push one of the OL into the next class, since we signed 5 last year and 6 this year
3) Give him an extra year to get bigger and stronger
4) Get an early headstart on 2012 recruiting

You're right, though - no reason to do it.

1) Balance out overall class numbers
2) Push one of the OL into the next class, since we signed 5 last year and 6 this year
3) Give him an extra year to get bigger and stronger
4) Get an early headstart on 2012 recruiting

You're right, though - no reason to do it.

Yeah, or you have extra scholarships that are available to use that you did not think you would have.:clap:

I think it's very fair to predict that a fair share of those OL will be on the DL before they end their careers here at the U. That is why I was not one of the people down about not signing any DT this year. Give it some time and we will have some guys crossing over, especially after this season is through and our senior's graduate.

Kill said tonight he wants 16 lineman I think that might have been an exaggeration but he still likes to use a lot of depth from what I can tell.

After watching film of the OL prospects, Bjorklund is the only one that would appear to be a DL candidate. Coach Kill indicated he has more depth at the DT position that many think. He is more concerned with DE and none of the OL are close to being a candidate for that position. I'm glad to hear that Bjorklund received a full scholarship. I think he will be a very good player in a couple of years.

In the state title game Bjorklund played DL for the first time all year due to an injury to a key player. He was really good at the line. He was explosive and blew some plays up. His problem was he was obviously not used to how quick you have to be making a tackle....there were probably 5-6 plays where Bjorklund blew up the play but couldn't finish the tackle in the backfield and it went for a gain. I think if he had some more experience he could be a pretty decent DL prospect. OL is definitely his best position though.

I really don't think any of these guys really project very well to be DT. If anyone, I guess I could see the smaller of the two McAvoys and possibly maybe moving Epping (last years class) to DT. But we are pretty deep in our RS FR class at DT (Ferguson, Botticelli, Legania, Tauaefa) and Hageman is only a SO. So I think if we hit DT pretty hard this coming year, most if not all of these guys will be playing OL.

Top Bottom