JMO and don't roast me.

Reaction score
I think yesterday Kill and staff came to realize the difference between MAC speed and B1G speed. In the spring Kill told us of the quickness and speed of KJ Maye. He told us Theran Cochran was something special because of his quickness and speed. He told us the Gillum was a SEC type back with his quickness. We heard that Wells is a special athlete with his speed and quickness. He went on to say that they didn't miss a beat on any of the 27 recruits they brought in concerning proper evaluation. While I think we've made strides in quickness/speed, we were completely overmatched by Nebraska yesterday on both offense and defense. Our receivers had a horrible time of creating separation from their DB's. The Nebraska WR's ( Bell in particular) created great separation. Kill saying he needs to do
a better job of coaching had nothing do with that yesterday. It's the players coach. Another " special player " Rashade Hageman had zero tackles against Nebraska. I certainly want Coach Kill to succeed, but don't keep telling about special players with quickness and speed until you actually see it on the field against the likes of Michigan, Nebraska,etc. Right now are "special" players can tee it up with the likes of our 6 wins, which by the way, none of who are playing better than .500 except for New Hampshire. This may be tough to swallow, but at this juncture we've a MAC level type team that can once in awhile beat a mid-level B1G team 2 years in. If that is the case in 4 years than Kill and his staff will be questioned by all concerned.

"we've a MAC level type team that can once in awhile beat a mid-level B1G team 2 years in. If that is the case in 4 years than Kill and his staff will be questioned by all concerned."

I'll start off by saying that this is true. However, what more do you expect when, for the last two seasons, it would've been likely for us to finish in the lower part of the MAC? Yeah, we're not that good, but it's the progress on the field you have to look at. The team IS faster, we play smarter, we play harder. If it looks the same in year four, then I will be calling for Kill's head. Based on what JK has done so far, I have no reason to think it won't get better. Right now, I think we should be happy with the obvious improvement, and the fact that we're headed to a bowl game. Good for us for beating every team we should, it hasn't happened in years. Nobody likes to get beat the way we did yesterday, but we're just not good enough yet. For now, we have to appreciate progress. Wins will come.

"we've a MAC level type team that can once in awhile beat a mid-level B1G team 2 years in. If that is the case in 4 years than Kill and his staff will be questioned by all concerned."

I'll start off by saying that this is true. However, what more do you expect when, for the last two seasons, it would've been likely for us to finish in the lower part of the MAC? Yeah, we're not that good, but it's the progress on the field you have to look at. The team IS faster, we play smarter, we play harder. If it looks the same in year four, then I will be calling for Kill's head. Based on what JK has done so far, I have no reason to think it won't get better. Right now, I think we should be happy with the obvious improvement, and the fact that we're headed to a bowl game. Good for us for beating every team we should, it hasn't happened in years. Nobody likes to get beat the way we did yesterday, but we're just not good enough yet. For now, we have to appreciate progress. Wins will come.

+1

You start way too many threads.

I think yesterday Kill and staff came to realize the difference between MAC speed and B1G speed. In the spring Kill told us of the quickness and speed of KJ Maye. He told us Theran Cochran was something special because of his quickness and speed. He told us the Gillum was a SEC type back with his quickness. We heard that Wells is a special athlete with his speed and quickness. He went on to say that they didn't miss a beat on any of the 27 recruits they brought in concerning proper evaluation. While I think we've made strides in quickness/speed, we were completely overmatched by Nebraska yesterday on both offense and defense. Our receivers had a horrible time of creating separation from their DB's. The Nebraska WR's ( Bell in particular) created great separation. Kill saying he needs to do
a better job of coaching had nothing do with that yesterday. It's the players coach. Another " special player " Rashade Hageman had zero tackles against Nebraska. I certainly want Coach Kill to succeed, but don't keep telling about special players with quickness and speed until you actually see it on the field against the likes of Michigan, Nebraska,etc. Right now are "special" players can tee it up with the likes of our 6 wins, which by the way, none of who are playing better than .500 except for New Hampshire. This may be tough to swallow, but at this juncture we've a MAC level type team that can once in awhile beat a mid-level B1G team 2 years in. If that is the case in 4 years than Kill and his staff will be questioned by all concerned.

Having speed - and being confident and experienced enough to play with speed - are two different things.

Having speed - and being confident and experienced enough to play with speed - are two different things.

Did you watch the game? So what I'm hearing, we are just as fast as Nebraska, but we just don't know how to play with our speed. Hmmm...

So....the team didn't get as fast as Nebraska and Michigan since last year? Guess I miss the point of your thread. To me the team (especially the defense) looks faster than last year.

I just wish Kill would tell us whether anybody involved with the program is working hard.

7 of the top 10, 40 times were early entrants last winter. (7 of the fastest guys on the team were last years recruits.)

I agree. We are faster and mostly we are playing Kill first year recruits against the other teams juniors and seniors.
Maybe you should be roasted Rupe.

Top Bottom