Jimmy "Goofball" Dykes at it again

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Get home from the Gopher game last night and sit down to watch the college hoops wrap-up show on ESPN. This time the 2 analysts breaking down the bubble were one of my least favorite (Dykes) and probably my favorite (Steve Lavin).

So anyways, the host starts the rundown of what the night's results mean for "in" or "out", and for all the teams he questioned both guys. The goofy one with all the cutesy sayings (Dykes) limited his comments to the individual teams. ... Kentucky, Florida, Miami, Virginia Tech, etc., except for one exception. He begins his Wisconsin & Minnesota evaluation with, "Let me say this, the score of this game tonight will negatively impact the perception of the Big Ten. It will create a negative perception when it comes to selection time."

Then Dykes immediately goes on to say Wisconsin's in and Minnesota's in. Huh?

Perception? Is perception a concept the Selection Committee weighs in on? Why not say, oh, "Results are what matters. How many Top 50 wins do you have? What's your strength of schedule. Bottom line."

To Lavin's credit, his response was, "Minnesota beat Louisville and that looks really good on their resume." Lav didn't get into the "perception" angle.

So, now we're going to be told by "Hershey squirts of the mouth" guys like Dykes that the committee has a criteria for what the scores should be for any particular game or team? Give me a friggin' break.

I saw that too Hodger. Just rolled my eyes. Jimmy Dykes is just the worst. His analysis, as you pointed out, was baffling. He questions the perception of the league, but our bubble teams are in while others from the SEC and the ACC are out.

Isn't the Big 10 the #2 conference in the RPI because these same teams that are beating the hell out of each other and playing 51-46 games beat a boatload of talented teams from other conferences?

I think the Selection Committee is above determining whether a team is in or not on the basis of perception. What a dumb comment by Dykes.

I think the Selection Committee is above determining whether a team is in or not on the basis of perception. What a dumb comment by Dykes.
Unfortunately, I do think that the Selection Committee uses a team's perception when picking. UCLA WILL get a higher seed than they deserve. Kentucky WILL be given every benefit of the doubt.

If KY gets in, they had better be playing the 64/65 play-in so they can fall flat on their faces.

Top Bottom