Jim Jackson impressed with Justin Cobbs, says he could push Nolen for starting PG

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from Marcus:

Jim Jackson impressed by Cobbs this summer
By Marcus Fuller

Gophers incoming freshman point guard Justin Cobbs had a chance to play against NBA players in pickup games at UCLA while he was back home this summer.

Big Ten Network analyst and former Ohio State All-American Jim Jackson watched Cobbs hold his own in several of those games. Jackson was there because he wanted his son Traevon to also hone his game in a supremely competitive environment.

"I had a chance to see him, and I was impressed," Jackson said of Cobbs. "For what (Gophers coach) Tubby (Smith) wants to do and is searching for in a point guard, Justin has a lot of those qualities and attributes. He's strong. He's quick. He's athletic. He has a nice jump shot right now.

"Once he starts playing defense and making plays for his teammates, he's going to be a great addition. Tubby has a nice little project that he can work with."

Jackson said Cobbs consistently made plays defending and penetrating against NBA point guards such as Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder, Earl Watson of the Indiana Pacers and Marcus Williams of the Memphis Grizzlies.

"It gave Justin a really good feel," he said. "Against that kind of competition, you can see where you're at. I think his athleticism stands out. When you compare him to a lot of other point guards, he's physically strong and can really do a lot with his body."

Junior Al Nolen is expected to start going into the season for the Gophers at point guard, but Jackson said Cobbs will push him for the job.

"I think he can (start)," he said. "The question is going to come down to how he shoots the basketball. One of Nolen's weaknesses right now is shooting the basketball well enough at the point guard position. If Justin can not turn the basketball over, make plays and knock down the open shot, that gives you a different dimension at point guard. Now, you don't help out and sag as much in the lane. It just depends. The door is open for him to make a run at it."

-- Jackson's son is a 6-foot-2, 190-pound junior shooting guard from Westerville, Ohio. Jackson said the Gophers watched Traevon play during an AAU tournament in Florida, but he was getting offers from mostly mid-major schools.

-- The Gophers have made the final cut for 6-11 Nebraska center Elliott Eliason, who plans to visit Minnesota on Sept. 11, according to reports. Eliason has narrowed his list down to Minnesota, Stanford and Creighton.

"I think that all three schools share some characteristics," Eliason told CardinalReport.com. "Academically, they each have a lot to offer. All three have great coaching staffs and great people at the school. I think those are the things that are important to me, and all three have them. It's not to say that the other schools didn't have those things, but these three stood out."

Go Gophers!!

Either Nolen has been playing crappy, or Cobbs will be a good contributor this season. I'm going to be optimistic and go with the latter. This will be great because PG was a weakness last season that Cobbs will improve, and Devoe can move permanently to the 2 guard where he is better suited.

How do you turndown an offer from Stanford?

If my kid had his/her choice of colleges athletically or academically, I'd encourage them to go to Stanford. Even over an Ivy League school or an athletic powerhouse. The culture, weather, location can't be matched.

I do know someone who turned down a full athletic scholarship to Stanford. This person thought Stanford was their front-runner until the official visit. The person and parents didn't feel comfortable with the vibe they got from the coaching staff that was in place there at that time.

Maybe Eliason will be scared off by the recent turnover on the basketball staff, not want to go that far away, or really wants to play in the Big Ten for Tubby Smith.

If my kid had his/her choice of colleges athletically or academically, I'd encourage them to go to Stanford. Even over an Ivy League school or an athletic powerhouse. The culture, weather, location can't be matched.

I do know someone who turned down a full athletic scholarship to Stanford. This person thought Stanford was their front-runner until the official visit. The person and parents didn't feel comfortable with the vibe they got from the coaching staff that was in place there at that time.

Maybe Eliason will be scared off by the recent turnover on the basketball staff, not want to go that far away, or really wants to play in the Big Ten for Tubby Smith.

When Harrison Barnes visited Stanford this summer, the Cardinal staff set up a meeting with Condoleeza Rice. He was quite impressed. But he'll play basketball somewhere else.

I think Gophers have a decent shot at landing Eliason.

Top Bottom