Jim Dutcher on MN vs MSU: "If they win that, people will start being believers."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Jim Dutcher on MN vs MSU: "If they win that, people will start being believers."

per Shooter:

Jim Dutcher, who coached the Gophers men’s basketball teams to one Big Ten championship and two runner-up finishes during 11 seasons, has watched every Big Ten team this season and rates just four as better than Minnesota, which is off to an 11-1 start.

“From what I’ve seen, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Indiana and Purdue are the top four, and Minnesota is as good as the rest of them,” Dutcher said.

Dutcher is retired but remains an astute analyst, better than any of the Big Ten Network guys who float in and out of town for games.

“I thought in preseason that the Gophers were going to be a lot better because they have the key guys — Jordan Murphy, Nate Mason and Dupree McBrayer — coming back, and I knew Reggie Lynch would help them because I watched him at Bloomington Jefferson and Edina.

“And I watched Amir Coffey at Hopkins and knew he was good. He’s really a good passer, and a better shooter than I thought. And Akeem Springs from Milwaukee gives them another outside shooter. The kid Bakary Konate, who was their starting center (last season), is now a backup. Eric Curry they say has good talent.

“So they’ve got good balance of experience and new blood.”

Dutcher’s Minnesota teams played to sellout crowds at Williams Arena. He would like for attendance to improve.

“They’ve averaging about 8,000 now,” Dutcher said. “The big game for the Gophers is Michigan State (Dec. 27 at Williams Arena). If they win that, people will start being believers. Right now, they’re saying, ‘Yeah, they played one road game and they lost it (Florida State 75-67).’ The rest of them (except a 56-52 victory over Vanderbilt) have been at Williams Arena.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/1...pro-bowl-team-includes-six-vikings-teammates/

Go Gophers!!

Dutch is spot on.

Significant game for the program in terms of local (and national) perception, even though Sparty is a little bit down. Must win this game to keep the train rolling. It's a game they should win, whether Miles Bridges plays or not.

I wish we had Dutch doing the color on Gopher TV games. He was the best.

Great info and insight, without the hype and bravado.

It is an early must win game if we are to be considered anything but an NIT hopeful IMO.

Based on the way the team has looked, I see a lot of reasons why the Gophers should win. I wouldn't even call a win an upset. A loss would be the upset.

It is an early must win game if we are to be considered anything but an NIT hopeful IMO.

At that moment yes, but really it is less about the one game and more about being 15-3 (4-3) on January 15

Well see how much Bridges makes a difference for MSU because without him hey are about to lose to Northeastern.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

When I saw Jim Dutcher's name I thought maybe we were going to hear his take on the football team's development, after what happened in his last year here.

Top Bottom