Jim Delany on future of B1G basketball & baseball tournaments

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I would expect pretty soon we'll hear plans for the B1G basketball tourney after 2012. I think Indianapolis' 5-year contract runs out next year. Will they (1) stay in Indy for another contract, (2) go back to Chicago for a stretch or (3) return to alternating between Chicago & Indy every year?

From ESPN.com:

Delany said he doubts Omaha's 18,000-seat Qwest Center will be added to the rotation for the Big Ten men's basketball tournament. He said the Big Ten wants to build a strong tradition for the tournament in Chicago and Indianapolis and that moving the event around would not help with that.

However, Delany said 24,000-seat TD Ameritrade Park, across the street from the Qwest Center, could host the Big Ten baseball tournament. The event is now held in Columbus, Ohio. TD Ameritrade Park is the new home for the College World Series.

"This is the Mecca for college baseball," he said. "I could see us being here someday."

Chicago. please

It seems to me that Indiana, Purdue, OSU gets "home field" advantage every time the tourney is in Indianapolis...

Champaign's not far from Indy, either. Illini always bring a lot of fans. MSU, too.

Not sure I'd say IU or Purdue has benefitted much from a home-court advantage. Other than Purdue's 2010 title, neither IU or Purdue have had much success in Indy.

for lakesbison's sake, may I be the first to recommend the Fargo Dome in Fargo, ND. It could seat 25-30 Thou for basketball, Hector International Airport for Transportation, Gazillions of Hotel/Motel rooms, 5,432 bars of which 5 are strip bars. How is that for a total "Neutral" sight? (tongue in cheek here). Fargo is a "Twin City" of "Moorhead" Minnesota. Wow!!!!!! What promotions could we come up for that venue?

Top Bottom