Jim Delany: Big Ten bowl lineup likely to diversify

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"We want to play the best," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "I don't think you'll see any radical changes in those areas, but you'll probably see us having more interactions with more conferences. I'm not exactly sure how that'll play out, but the sites will be national and the quality of opponents will be national."

Delany said the Big Ten met with officials from 10-12 bowl games in November at league headquarters in Park Ridge, Ill. Although Delany's top priorities are figuring out the new division alignment -- with Maryland and Rutgers set to join the league -- and revising the 2014 football schedule, but he hopes to have the bowl lineup, which likely will span the 2014-17 seasons, finalized before the summer.

The Big Ten won't compromise degree of difficulty in the lineup, but Delany understands that a lack of variety can turn off fans interested in traveling to different areas. He attributes part of the bowls' recent attendance/interest problems to a lack of diversity in participating teams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/69221/delany-b1g-bowl-lineup-likely-to-diversify

Go Gophers!!

totally overlooking the BTC game consuming fan travel budgets.

I think it's a good idea, but I like the Outback and Cap One. Regarding he Gator, do we really need a third game against the SEC in Florida? How about replacing it with the Holiday Bowl in San Diego?

I think it's a good idea, but I like the Outback and Cap One. Regarding he Gator, do we really need a third game against the SEC in Florida? How about replacing it with the Holiday Bowl in San Diego?

Would love to see the B1G take a run at Holiday, Alamo, and/or Cotton Bowls.

I prefer the following

1st Place: Rose Bowl in California v PAC 12 #1
2nd Place: Capital One Bowl in Florida v SEC #2
3rd Place: Alamo/Cotton/Holiday
4th Place: Outback Bowl in Florida v SEC #4
5th Place: BWW Bowl in Arizona vs Big 12 #4
6th Place- 8th Place: Combination of Music City Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, Meineke Car Care Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, and New Orleans Bowl.

I like the addition of the Gator Bowl. Keep the Capital One vs. the SEC, but drop the Outback (too many Florida bowls) and find another similar bowl as the B1G's #3 bowl.

I'd like to see them add the Pinstripe Bowl. Yes, the potential is there for crappy weather, but playing in Yankee Stadium/New York is kind of cool, and certainly fits into the Big Ten's desire to make headway on the East Coast.

Don't play in any bowl where Conference USA or the Sun Belt is the opponent. Nothing to gain, everything to lose. Not going to get any respect beating anyone from those conferences.

I actually like having the Pizza Pizza Bowl as our bottom bowl because a lot of the time it's not even filled, and it's the one B1G teams always talking about trying to avoid. ... "Anywhere But Christmas in Detroit." Plus, the MAC and Big Ten have a Midwest kinship, and we should continue that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Fight Hunger Bowl...it was mentioned that Illinois had a good experience there.

Also, how many affiliations do we need with 14 teams?? At least 9-10 I would guess

The Holiday, San Diego or Las Vegas Bowl would all get a lot of Big Ten fans in attendance. Not only is Southern Cal full of former Midwesterners, even teams that end-up with 7-5 or 6-6 records would welcome the trip. Same logic for the Florida Bowls but there's just to many of them. The Florida Bowls also seem to guarantee that the Big Ten is always playing a "Home Team".

The Pinstripe Bowl logic expressed by Selection also seems to hold true.

The Holiday, San Diego or Las Vegas Bowl would all get a lot of Big Ten fans in attendance. Not only is Southern Cal full of former Midwesterners, even teams that end-up with 7-5 or 6-6 records would welcome the trip. Same logic for the Florida Bowls but there's just to many of them. The Florida Bowls also seem to guarantee that the Big Ten is always playing a "Home Team".

The Alamo, Holiday, and/or Cotton Bowls won't likely take a team below 4th in the B1G.

The Alamo, Holiday, and/or Cotton Bowls won't likely take a team below 4th in the B1G.

Like Wisconsin? :)

Seriously I was talking more about the Las Vegas and San Diego's Poinsettia Bowls. Though note that the Holiday Bowl currently features the 3rd place Pac-12 team and the 5th place Big 12 team.

The Holiday Bowl would - it currently has the Big 12's #5 selection. Their bowl took a step back in the last round of negotiations, because the Alamo Bowl stepped up with higher payouts. If the Holiday wants to move back up the pecking order, they'll have to increase the $$$ commitment. I love the idea of adding San Diego, and the Big Ten has a history with the bowl, with Ohio State, Michigan and Iowa all making multiple trips and Illinois and Penn State also appearing in the 80's and early 90's.

It sounds like we won't have all three Florida bowls - with the way the Cap One bended to appease the Big Ten and SEC offices in selecting Georgia/Nebraska this year, I think that bowl is safe. So either the Outback or Gator would come off the lineup.

The Pinstripe is assumed to be a done deal. The game in Charlotte might be an option, especially if the Big Ten continues to look into that region for expansion. Same could be said for Washington DC.

I like the addition of the Gator Bowl. Keep the Capital One vs. the SEC, but drop the Outback (too many Florida bowls) and find another similar bowl as the B1G's #3 bowl.

I'd like to see them add the Pinstripe Bowl. Yes, the potential is there for crappy weather, but playing in Yankee Stadium/New York is kind of cool, and certainly fits into the Big Ten's desire to make headway on the East Coast.

Don't play in any bowl where Conference USA or the Sun Belt is the opponent. Nothing to gain, everything to lose. Not going to get any respect beating anyone from those conferences.

I actually like having the Pizza Pizza Bowl as our bottom bowl because a lot of the time it's not even filled, and it's the one B1G teams always talking about trying to avoid. ... "Anywhere But Christmas in Detroit." Plus, the MAC and Big Ten have a Midwest kinship, and we should continue that.

I've got to say, that is the first positive thing I've heard said about the Pinstripe Bowl since its inception. All I've heard is that there are horrible sightlines, terrible weather, expensive (accomodation wise), etc. Just all around awful. No thanks. Reminds me too much of the Bowl in Valley Forge, PA that the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles went to on Coach.

Did Hayden Fox's team win that game?

They lost something like 63-7, unable to keep the momentum from the previous season's dramatic Pineapple Bowl victory.

But they were able to overcome that setback to win the Pioneer Bowl and the national championship the very next year.

With footmall minds the likes of Luther and Dauber, it's amazing Minnesota State didn't win more than one national title.

With footmall minds the likes of Luther and Dauber, it's amazing Minnesota State didn't win more than one national title.

They stepped away from their budding dynasty to coach the expansion Orlando Breakers. I don't remember how Howard Burleigh landed a gig with the Breakers, though. Must've threatened the owner to reveal her past fling with Tony Micelli.

Wish list

Drop: Gator, Little Caesars, Heart of Dallas

Pick up: Holiday, Pinstripe, Las Vegas

Pinstripe going against an ACC school would be nice instead of BigXII but I'm not holding my breath. Holiday vs Pac12 always fun, same thing with Las Vegas.

Agreed. The Florida Bowls always seem to be geographically skewed against us. The Pinstripe Bowl would be cool due to playing in New York.

Top Bottom